Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

Is snow definitely not happening for us from this storm?

I think it will go down to nowcasting. METO is still on a "heavy rain or heavy snow" forecasting theme. It depends on the exact track of the low, DPs and how much cold air will drag into our area. Tbh I was optimistic yesterday but not now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
26 minutes ago, Empire Of Snow said:

I think it will go down to nowcasting. METO is still on a "heavy rain or heavy snow" forecasting theme. It depends on the exact track of the low, DPs and how much cold air will drag into our area. Tbh I was optimistic yesterday but not now. 

Rubs chin vigorously

Storm Eunice will bring snow and very strong winds

This Evening and Tonight:

Isolated showers and clear spells initially, with a slight frost. Becoming cloudy, with heavy rain spreading northeastwards later, turning to heavy snow and accumulating on hills. Winds increasing as Storm Eunice approaches, with blizzard risk over high ground. Minimum temperature 0 °C.

Friday:

Storm Eunice will bring widespread snow at first, sometimes heavy, with significant accumulations over hills. Further spells of rain and snow following, with widespread gales and severe gales later. Maximum temperature 6 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Saturday winds easing then snow showers or longer periods of rain and snow. Gales or severe gales Sunday and Monday. Sunday rain, heavy later, followed by snow showers, decreasing Monday.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Thu 17 Feb 2022

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms
59 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Rubs chin vigorously

Storm Eunice will bring snow and very strong winds

This Evening and Tonight:

Isolated showers and clear spells initially, with a slight frost. Becoming cloudy, with heavy rain spreading northeastwards later, turning to heavy snow and accumulating on hills. Winds increasing as Storm Eunice approaches, with blizzard risk over high ground. Minimum temperature 0 °C.

Friday:

Storm Eunice will bring widespread snow at first, sometimes heavy, with significant accumulations over hills. Further spells of rain and snow following, with widespread gales and severe gales later. Maximum temperature 6 °C.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:

Saturday winds easing then snow showers or longer periods of rain and snow. Gales or severe gales Sunday and Monday. Sunday rain, heavy later, followed by snow showers, decreasing Monday.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Thu 17 Feb 2022

Loving the wording in the forecast, but for South Yorkshire it doesn’t seem to be supported by models available for us to view.  Assume Meto are seeing we aren’t.

Posted
Just now, SouthYorks said:

Loving the wording in the forecast, but for South Yorkshire it doesn’t seem to be supported by models available for us to view.  Assume Meto are seeing we aren’t.

Yes im struggling ...but evapourative cooling may be at play 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

If it is just cold rain then the meto surely have some explaining to do with wording like that!!

Posted

Such a shame that we haven't had corrections south for the impending storm, over last 36 hours or so. Would have been snowmageddon!  So we now looking at a brief bit of snow high ground tomorrow morning, lots of cold rain and sleet after.. But as the storm pulls away a colder flow is wrapped around it and we may see back edge snow friday evening with possibilty of snow showers later.. Plus chances of snow saturday and sunday so all is not lost!

Edited by Harsh Climate

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
2 hours ago, Sunny_AS said:

Is snow definitely not happening for us from this storm?

High ground may get some from the showers that follow rain or sleet lower down. Saturday is the day I'm interested in heavy rain and a bit of cooling could well do the trick. Again nothing low down but on top could be very interesting.

Well tomorrow will drive into work although if the warning is red we should be told to work from home. 

Lost one tree yesterday dunno when and the trees opposite are due to come down getting old and have a heavy canopy of ivy to weight them down. My neighbours park there which I wouldn't do these days. If they fall a big loss of income for the father as he's a taxi driver and he's not the luckiest of people he's had one hit and run and an attempted hit and run by a drunk solicitor who tried to drive off despite one front wheel nearly off. Needless to say she didn't get very far.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SouthYorks said:

Not sure what there is to see these days that isn't out on the net, unless they know some weaknesses with the models and manually adjust. 

But there are no warnings , no model raw output supports snow for our region, the automated forecasts above the text forecast show no snow. I think it's just a lazy text forecast, happens all the time in less crucial situations that the text forecast seems like it has been written by someone not quite sure on the region they are writing for. 

Storm Arwen wasn't showing as snow on any model and we got some, that is the only hope I have .

Saturday looks good for a thin slice , of South Yorks and N Midlands.  

Typically for me,  tomorrows is too far north and Saturdays too far south. Maybe some wet snow showers tomorrow evening but they will rattle through with little impact on the strongs winds with temps between 1 and 3c.

Edited by Tim A

Posted
6 minutes ago, Sunny_AS said:

Any links to where we can see the satellite imagery of the storm developing?

icon-400.8.jpg
ZOOM.EARTH

Track tropical storms, hurricanes, severe weather, and wildfires with LIVE satellite images, rain radar, and animated wind speed maps.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms

The storm looks to be further north than modelled! 

What implications could this have on our region, if any? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sara_south_yorks said:

The storm looks to be further north than modelled! 

What implications could this have on our region, if any? 

A potentially deeper system with marginally higher wind gusts. It is essentially a nowcasting event though, we'll have to keep up to date tomorrow with the observations further south and west as the peak gusts get closer.

Posted
1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Less snow, more wind..

Would much rather it be the other way around! 

• Like 1

Posted

looks on track to me but wtfdik

image.thumb.png.2643e7ec7f2f9e0cd621dcca6e4cb0d1.png

Screenshot_2022-02-17-20-44-53-60_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sara_south_yorks said:

Would much rather it be the other way around! 

Me too. Disappointing as 90% of the time these storms end up further south, the one time that would benefit us it ends up further north..

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

looks i track to me but wtfdik

image.thumb.png.2643e7ec7f2f9e0cd621dcca6e4cb0d1.png

Screenshot_2022-02-17-20-44-53-60_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

It does on that one, the one i saw it looked further north. 

Im pleased its on track and not further north, i dont want stronger winds. 

1 minute ago, Harsh Climate said:

Me too. Disappointing as 90% of the time these storms end up further south, the one time that would benefit us it ends up further north..

Yeah sods law!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Are we to far north for the worst of the wind yet to far south for the snow??

Posted
1 minute ago, Wold Topper said:

Are we to far north for the worst of the wind yet to far south for the snow??

I won't be surprised if we end up in no man's land. Not that there's anything wrong with that (other than the lack of snow lol)...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very cold/sunny, Snow, Hot/Thunderstorms

I reckon it’s slightly further North as well.  It’s also slightly deeper than the models were showing.  If it continues we are likely to see higher wind gusts, which really isn’t what we want to see.  The other downside is the slight risk of snow for later tomorrow is now dead in the water.  

It would have been great to see Eunice track a couple of hundred miles further South and we would have avoided the worst of the wind but would have received an absolute pasting from snow.

• Like 1