Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire and E England regional discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

not sure on all the fuss. Just a tad windy here, nothing out of the normal!!

4 hours ago, winterof79 said:

Infact eased dwn hugely. Wind speeds are always over exaggerated. Known it much windier than this!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Proper squally here!  Really windy with some torrential rain in bursts....

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!

Already a significant amount of power cuts across the region, not like Arwen but still pretty bad already. Only checked as got another email from Northern power grid, so they must be worried.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold,snowy,frosty and thunderstorms
1 minute ago, cowdog said:

Already a significant amount of power cuts across the region, not like Arwen but still pretty bad already. Only checked as got another email from Northern power grid, so they must be worried.

Just read the same email. This also doesn't bode well for round 2 on friday either. 

Was just thinking they are all over the emails aren't they so must be expecting a massive amount of problems! 

Posted

Huge backtrack by icon. Apart from when it's for cold and snowy spells the icon always backs its milder solution. As you were.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Another E-mail from northern power grid, 2 nights running! @rse covering?  

Edited by Wold Topper

Posted

Bit of a breeze here. Was windier this morning by far. Poor forecasting yet again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Wind has been ramping up in the last hour or so, sounds rough out, sleep maybe sparse tonight

7 hours ago, Wold Topper said:

Wind has been ramping up in the last hour or so, sounds rough out, sleep maybe sparse tonight

Definitely a stop-start night for sleeping that! Wind and rain/hail battering the window on and off through the night. Gusts approaching 50mph I would think.

Posted

Did enough to blow the kids slide over and that's heavy aswell, quite impressive the wind last night, the strongest we have had here for a while.

Tomorrow still could be nasty too, certainly not a quiet period of weather.

Posted

Serious question...how are south yorkshire looking for wind speeds at the moment?

Is it much more than what we are used to during winter? 

I am genuinely starting to  myself, i HATE strong wind speeds and considering we have just moved into a house with a ridiculously big silver birch in the back garden im even more scared! 

I know things are still evolving so may be difficult to pin point but im seriously worried about this tree coming down  

Attatched pic of the tree thats causing me to lose sleep right now

20220125_113546.jpg

Posted

Morning all! Do we have any reliable updates on what we're expecting tomorrow for our area? Went through all models and charts and I'm struggling to come into a conclusion especially regarding ppn type. It seems that we're going to avoid the worse of winds but I don't have a clue if it's going to be heavy cold rain or heavy snow. 

Posted

Unfortunately doesn't look like any snow now for us unless you are high up on the Dales in the far North of Yorkshire .

Can't see a single model that shows any lying snow here anymore.  The UKV looked interesting last night but the 03z and 06z show temps only dropping to 2-4c during the precipitation. 

Saturdays snow also looks like far south of region only and going south all the time.  So one system too far North and another too far South! 

Not sure why the Met Office text forecast is more optimistic , there is literally no model that shows widespread snow tomorrow morning, maybe a couple of the MOGREPS ensembles but that is like 2/17 show a couple of cm tomorrow morning. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Tim A said:

Unfortunately doesn't look like any snow now for us unless you are high up on the Dales in the far North of Yorkshire .

Can't see a single model that shows any lying snow here anymore.  The UKV looked interesting last night but the 03z and 06z show temps only dropping to 2-4c during the precipitation. 

Saturdays snow also looks like far south of region only and going south all the time.  So one system too far North and another too far South! 

Not sure why the Met Office text forecast is more optimistic , there is literally no model that shows widespread snow tomorrow morning, maybe a couple of the MOGREPS ensembles but that is like 2/17 show a couple of cm tomorrow morning. 

I'll just wait for the METO update later today. The storm is now developing, too much uncertainty. The range between 2-4c is huge as you call it. 2c combined with a low DP could lead to heavy snow. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Frost Sun
1 hour ago, snow*please said:

Serious question...how are south yorkshire looking for wind speeds at the moment?

Is it much more than what we are used to during winter? 

I am genuinely starting to  myself, i HATE strong wind speeds and considering we have just moved into a house with a ridiculously big silver birch in the back garden im even more scared! 

I know things are still evolving so may be difficult to pin point but im seriously worried about this tree coming down  

Attatched pic of the tree thats causing me to lose sleep right now

20220125_113546.jpg

I think us in South Yorkshire will just escape the worst of the high winds, hopefully the low will track over our region with the worst of the winds over Southern England. 

If it tracks a little further North than it is showing at moment then things could get nasty here and if it tracks further South there's possibility that we could see something wintery. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bradowl said:

I think us in South Yorkshire will just escape the worst of the high winds, hopefully the low will track over our region with the worst of the winds over Southern England. 

If it tracks a little further North than it is showing at moment then things could get nasty here and if it tracks further South there's possibility that we could see something wintery. 

Thank you for your reply. 

Fingers crossed it does not track further north then, it can go south though, would much prefer the snow  

Posted

1st week of march 

The weather in the first half of March is likely to be a continuation of the current changeable conditions with a north-south split, especially in precipitation. Most of the precipitation is likely to be in the north and northwest, where wintry conditions are possible in colder periods in these areas.

not surprised lol we have march winds, april showers this month!! it's all back to front!

My Dudley + Eunice video earlier this week seemed to get shared well, and it was always part of the plan to follow up with a Eunice video once the track became clearer. I appreciate, given you're all weather enthusiasts, there won't be anything you don't already know in the video, but it is a decent concise summary IMO (if I do say so)  

Stay safe folks  

Posted

Met office have moved the Snow warning in effect out of the region, it now only covers Hawes so the few thousand people that live around there might get some.

More issue is the wind, the higher res models keep showing the possibility of 80 MPH winds later in the day for the Pennines.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

It looks like there may be some heavy wintry / snow showers across our region later on tomorrow into tomorrow night as Eunice pulls away?

Forecast for my area of South Yorkshire tomorrow evening for example;

1700438185_Screenshot_20220217-113242_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.1ce7ecba4c5d6675a8654ea96f3b8f4b.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kentish Snowman in Yorks said:

It looks like there may be some heavy wintry / snow showers across our region later on tomorrow into tomorrow night as Eunice pulls away?

Forecast for my area of South Yorkshire tomorrow evening for example;

1700438185_Screenshot_20220217-113242_MetOffice.thumb.jpg.1ce7ecba4c5d6675a8654ea96f3b8f4b.jpg

feels like forever since we seen some snow!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Winds tomorrow up to 60mph local forecast still.

Blew a tree down on our road I don't know when but I guess during the day. No cars damaged.

Posted

Currently fairly moderate snow here. Not sticking as was sleet for 20 minutes before hand, could show promise for tomorrow.

Now turned to heavy and starting to show  signs of settling, this is quite bizarre given it wasn't at all forecast.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Currently fairly moderate snow here. Not sticking as was sleet for 20 minutes before hand, could show promise for tomorrow.

Now turned to heavy and starting to show  signs of settling, this is quite bizarre given it wasn't at all forecast.

A balmy 10c with plenty of sunshine down here, @snowdog! Tonight & tomorrow's Rogan Josh is well underway! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It felt alot colder just now when I emerged from an underground car park in Leeds to drop off keys.

Cold rain with what looks like sleet in the mix.