Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Tue/Wed - totaling 74.2mm over the 2 days on most recent Net weather update.. hmm 

image.thumb.png.5b523193ba09c7c0ea52d0643dea2dbe.png

Edited by SnowWatcher2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

Drinking Ardbeg Corry and watching Tiny Desk on the Toob... 

Just dragged the moggy in and it's bloody cold out there. - 1.5°C and freezing but the wind is ripping cold! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

00z Tuesday

On the whole unreliable ppn graphs 

Weak Sleet 

2C71960B-66B9-44E1-ABBD-F074A4A7784C.thumb.png.8702c719234c97e1bf588159b87aa45e.png

3hrs later further N 

44F29F61-6DEE-4672-83BE-4E8B13A20015.thumb.png.11150b513b79b17e9d634d5f303688c2.png

Posted

Purbeck Dorset next weekend were we visit regularly. Including being there on the hottest ever recorded UK temp in 2003. 

1091DAB4-088F-4373-840D-3A174DB77F38.thumb.png.084921e1f152fce60cbea118a80e2507.png

Couldn’t make it up. 

Posted
8 hours ago, Day 10 said:

Latest ICON then Tuesday morning.

Wirral/Liverpool/Cheshire.

Rain to rain event.

The rest - Snow.

If Tues fails I think I'll give up - it's too exhausting. A 5 year wait followed by a 3 year wait, which could turn into another 5 year wait at this rate.

Just waiting on the GFS correcting north again...

I’m with you on that. 
Chart fatigue setting in. 
Not to mention missing out on a few Alpine Cumbrian days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
46 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Purbeck Dorset next weekend were we visit regularly. Including being there on the hottest ever recorded UK temp in 2003. 

1091DAB4-088F-4373-840D-3A174DB77F38.thumb.png.084921e1f152fce60cbea118a80e2507.png

Couldn’t make it up. 

32B32004-C892-487B-A7DC-8F8B8A51E3DA.thumb.png.c477370100e7758d0134551494feb016.png

E882FCEE-7AD2-4BBC-9B7C-1F36B5C5447F.thumb.png.b01dc779fb823eaaa9a21a326855abd0.png

69C90CAA-3E8E-4D1A-948C-E0CA76DC8C0B.thumb.png.5ec0f7fb9b915d5194ff7fca3a17828b.png

West Lancs (Chorley) just not cold enough. May see snow for an hour then rain as it pushes through. Looks like an epic event further North and East. It needs to be another 3/4 degrees colder. 

• Like 1

Posted

Outlook for Tuesday to Thursday:

A spell of wet and windy weather moves northeast on Tuesday, with some hill snow. Drier, brighter and milder on Wednesday. Cloudy and breezy with outbreaks of rain on Thursday.

Doesn’t sound good. 

Posted

Tuesday is looking poor for lowland areas in the south of the region IMO. Further north and east looks more promising for a good few hours of snow in the morning. That mild air wants to rush right through us quite quickly, which hasn't happened on the last 2 fronts coming into a cold air mass the last week or so. Very annoying to say the least.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

I’m with you on that. 
Chart fatigue setting in. 
Not to mention missing out on a few Alpine Cumbrian days. 

What a joke mate, I hate this word but yet another downgrade.

The Met update is like a dagger to the heart, expect the warnings to shift North today.

I'm not sure how you've done for snow lately, but what has the Wirral & parts of Merseyside got to do to get lying snow. I didn't realise until last night but it will be 3 years in March, so poor.

Posted
1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

I'm not sure how you've done for snow lately, but what has the Wirral & parts of Merseyside got to do to get lying snow. I didn't realise until last night but it will be 3 years in March, so poor.

That area got lying snow in the middle of May in 1935......

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

The Met update is like a dagger to the heart, expect the warnings to shift North today.

If you know us on the snowstarved fenlands  - we travel  - can get to the top of Kirkstone in under an hour for a fix  park up for a quick bimble up St Ravens edge and back in the pub for tea and scones.

Not at the moment. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Spah1 said:

A spell of wet and windy weather moves northeast on Tuesday, with some hill snow. Drier, brighter and milder on Wednesday. Cloudy and breezy with outbreaks of rain on Thursday.

Doesn’t sound good. 

21 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Maybe I jumped in too quick.

Spah, we're did you get that forecast from? Without looking I just thought you got it from the Met but I've just checked it and it's not as bad as I thought. Plus I've just checked the Gfs and that isn't as bad either. Not checked others yet.

Note to self, check all data first before reacting to posts when just waking up. Looks like it'll go down to the wire.

Posted

Maybe I jumped in too quick.

Spah, we're did you get that forecast from? Without looking I just thought you got it from the Met but I've just checked it and it's not as bad as I thought. Plus I've just checked the Gfs and that isn't as bad either. Not checked others yet.

Note to self, check all data first before reacting to posts when just waking up. Looks like it'll go down to the wire.

Probably will go to the wire but the 06z GFS has a sleety mix for the NW and coast then 3 hrs later a few miles further north as per it's like Narnia and not exclusively for altitude.

Yes still - all to play for  - if not maybe the South Coast for winteriness next weekend? - maybe not.

Posted

I think you are right it’s pretty much a non event now for the southern areas of our region south of Lancaster.

the UKMet App has trended warmer Tuesday for the last 36 hours and Wednesday is now a full on mild day 

even Thursday and Friday are milder but still showing light snow 

Posted
1 minute ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Probably will go to the wire but the 06z GFS has a sleety mix for the NW and coast then 3 hrs later a few miles further north as per it's like Narnia and not exclusively for altitude.

Yes still - all to play for  - if not maybe the South Coast for winteriness next weekend? - maybe not.

Yeah, still looks a few hours of snow before turning back. Just taking the Gfs in isolation it has slowed the front down since Friday so I'm hoping it will continue that trend.

• Like 2

Posted

Yeah, still looks a few hours of snow before turning back. Just taking the Gfs in isolation it has slowed the front down since Friday so I'm hoping it will continue that trend.

Unsettled on Tuesday with coastal gales and outbreaks of rain and snow, giving ice in places. Becoming drier and brighter with lighter winds on Wednesday. Further rain and snow Thursday.

The one I posted was for Yorkshire and Humber. I was looking at Settle which I thought would be a prime location. 
NW above

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
2 hours ago, Spah1 said:

Doesn’t sound good. 

Where is that forecast from? The metoffice forecast for our region is as follows, which sounds better:

Unsettled on Tuesday with coastal gales and outbreaks of rain and snow, giving ice in places. Becoming drier and brighter with lighter winds on Wednesday. Further rain and snow Thursday.

• Thanks 1

Posted

WRF has improved. Let's just hope all models as they normally do in these situations underestimate the ease in which they can push northeast. At the very least a 50 mile shift South would make a huge difference.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Where is that forecast from? The metoffice forecast for our region is as follows, which sounds better:

See above 

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Day 10 said:

WRF has improved. Let's just hope all models as they normally do in these situations underestimate the ease in which they can push northeast. At the very least a 50 mile shift South would make a huge difference.

Agreed 

• Like 1

Posted

To be honest, so what if it snows it’s going to rain right behind it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

BBC forecast mentioned heavy snow overnight Monday and into Tuesday for Northern England and Scotland.

no more specific than that and my gut feeling is still that the Narnia wardrobe door will be a long way north of here but at least they are talking about snow up here rather than over the Chilterns.

big question for me today is do I venture out for a bit of a walk today after 10 days confined to barracks or sit in the warmth for another day.

Looking at the breeze blowing, the latter is certainly tempting.

Edited by iand61
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
3 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

See above 

Cheers. Weird that the forecast sounds less wintry for places further North and East on Tuesday.

Posted
17 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

I thought the gfs 6z didn’t start until 09:30?