Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Although now living down in Lincoln, I'm monitoring Neil Bradshaw's weather station in South Shields (my old home town).  

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today's_weather.htm

There was wet snow there at one point with the temperature at 1.1C, then the temperature swiftly rose to 5.5-6.0C, seemingly more due to the warm sector associated with the eye of the low than the wind off the sea (he's been recording northerlies, roughly parallel to the coastline).  But the wind has steadily got up and his latest gust is 56mph, with a mean wind speed of 36mph. 

And that's before the imminent NNE wind sets in...  I'm not even sure if his weather station will be fully intact tomorrow morning, I think there could be gusts to 80mph+.

I had a bit of wet snow here in Lincoln for a time incidentally, which brought the temperature down to 1.6C, but it then turned back to rain and cleared away.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, here we go - temperature at South Shields has fallen as low as 3.1C, with 41mph NE wind and 65mph gusts and it looks pretty wild on that webcam.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

I tried posting this in the storm thread but it wouldn't post the video so I've gone to the effort of uploading on youtube. 

The shower was from this line of showers, although it's still going on so I don't know if its a shower as such. 

The puppy went out to see what was going on but our older dog knows better.

Screenshot_20211127-003311.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
On 27/11/2021 at 00:58, northriding said:

Getting wild here. One heck of a racket outside, just a constant roar.

It would seem we are going to miss the main event, being slightly lower down the coast,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I've just been woken up on the sofa jeez it's wild out there tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

The wind on the coast is as bad as I can ever remember it must be blowing 80mph+ I will be amazed If there is no serious damage.

Edited by Derbyshire_snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
15 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

The wind on the coast is as bad as I can ever remember it must be blowing 80mph+ I will be amazed If there is no serious damage.

I’m 3 miles in land and I’ve never heard wind like this before, can’t imagine on the coast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Guys,...any lightning visible S of Middleborough?

over the north York moors currently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny warmth, thunderstorms, frost
13 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Guys,...any lightning visible S of Middleborough?

over the north York moors currently.

Yes, brilliant flash and sharp crack of thunder just to my south a few moments ago.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
On 27/11/2021 at 03:03, northriding said:

Yes, brilliant flash and sharp crack of thunder just to my south a few moments ago.

Thanks for that buddy

i am here still waiting for a dusting of snow,...the band does seem to be pivoting more on a N>S alignment so i could get a dusting in the morning as the colder air undercuts the main band.

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo

Posted
3 minutes ago, northriding said:

There was a huge flash visible from near the Headland at Hartlepool winds must be gusting between 80-90mph a shop front on Raby Road has been ripped off a lady has posted that her mums shed roof has ripped off and her house window has been blown our and telephone cables have been ripped down and hitting the window there are trees down reportedly as well.

I cant recall a storm as bad as this in my life time just hope the worst has gone because with the windows and walls rattling it is getting quite frightening for the missus and kids.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Thanks for that buddy

i am here still waiting for a dusting of snow,...the band does seem to be pivoting more on a N>S alignment so i could get a dusting in the morning as the colder air undercuts the main band.

As an observer I alway thought you were on the moors but I could be getting confused. Sutton bank looks interesting on the webcams. 

Its weird how it seems to howl for about ten minutes with rain pounding the windows and the suddenly stops for a minute or so before going back at it. 

Screenshot_20211127-030928.png

Posted
32 minutes ago, Vee89 said:

I’m 3 miles in land and I’ve never heard wind like this before, can’t imagine on the coast. 

It is the worst I can ever remember in my life time not far from the Headland at Hartlepool it is life threatening conditions out there.

A shop front has gone and shutters ripped down some poor woman's shed roofs gone and her window has been blown out.

Seen her daughter asking if anyone can get to her mum to help heard lots of sirens.

I love my extreme weather but when it sounds like your windows are going to break and they are rattling and the walls are too you know it is serious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Great another power cut, 2nd morning in a row. If they think I'm giving up my gas boiler or fuel tank they can burn me at the stake. Cold really does kill

Screenshot_20211127-031205_Chrome.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny warmth, thunderstorms, frost
15 minutes ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

There was a huge flash visible from near the Headland at Hartlepool winds must be gusting between 80-90mph a shop front on Raby Road has been ripped off a lady has posted that her mums shed roof has ripped off and her house window has been blown our and telephone cables have been ripped down and hitting the window there are trees down reportedly as well.

I cant recall a storm as bad as this in my life time just hope the worst has gone because with the windows and walls rattling it is getting quite frightening for the missus and kids.

Windiest I can remember and I'm a few miles inland. The conditions must be horrendous along the coast.

Posted
4 hours ago, northriding said:

Our power went off about then but was back by 6am.
At the time there was such a din from hail and wind banging I didn't hear thunder but could easily have been some.
The severe gustiness of the wind from unusual direction must have done a lot of damage to trees and buildings

Edited by 4wd

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Interesting!

Husband just back from darlington. He says it's a mess between aycliffe and there. Trees down and power cuts meaning the roads are dark. Take care if you have to go out there folks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Some awful damage around this morning in Boldon area, lots of downed trees, and the gable end of this house. 

080E08C6-6760-4B1B-95B5-BACAC238A87D.jpeg

Posted

pretty heavy snow falling in Westmoor now - big flakes blowing around in the wind❄️

Edited by gazzac69