Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
58 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

What weather app is this ?

XC weather.

• Like 4

Posted
57 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

What weather app is this ?

It's the XC weather site. Their snow totals have become a bit of a running joke on the thread

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
21 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Awwww that's brought back memories of Geoff, my snow measuring stick I made for one of these GFS no-snow events 4 years ago

3 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

2FFC22A1-27F9-4AC9-96C2-2763299C4CCB.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Awwww that's brought back memories of Geoff, my snow measuring stick I made for one of these GFS no-snow events 4 years ago

I remember it well. There were pictures too! Any happy chance you still have one to share? I think everyone on the forum should make a stick! Geoff could be the template

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

So do we think this snow will make its way through to the Glasgow area a la the beast? We do quite well off easterly stuff usually, but does the angle of attack not need to be right?

Posted
17 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Now it's really bringing back memories....4 years is a lifetime.

The GFS forecast looked like this and the snow stick and chopped logs were beautifully presented by Clyde:

IMG_1946.PNG.thumb.png.b6965e7d828f2666cc0b6703743b5b54.pngIMG_1954.JPG.thumb.jpg.a531592cd25b7b7d9a1999a6436d892d.jpgIMG_1953.JPG.thumb.jpg.2496070522816009f982f1e502962b2a.jpg

The black tape was placed at 15cm and 30cm. It finally got used just over a year later for the beastie snow.

I'm impressed at your archive retrieval

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

I'm quite tempted now to make a stick! I've been using a steel ruler, like a caveman! I'm just concerned that I might jinx things my spending the time to make a measuring stick......

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
12 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@asjmcguire I left the stick when I moved out, wee night raid to Sisterpath Farm??

haha! Sadly, my husband passed away in July, and he was the driver. I'm pretty much housebound now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

So do we think this snow will make its way through to the Glasgow area a la the beast? We do quite well off easterly stuff usually, but does the angle of attack not need to be right?

Not a convective easterly that often blows showers through to Glasgow and Lanarkshire at times when the flow is fast and decent uppers.... This is more a stalling front barrelling in from the east and at the moment does not look like be affecting Glasgow area but this will change a lot next few days.. And hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply and say I'm talking nonsense .... Certainly gonna be a couple of interesting days of model runs. And looks like chances from N and NW aswell  potentially so a definite interesting period of weather. I am actually quite enjoying the thrill of bit of snow cover then gone and the chase begins again... Would still love a proper few inches fall... Snow here has held on remarkably well and local park still completely white with a snow ice mix.... I would say must be chillier here today than yesterday's drip drip but I have only been out to the local shop in the car..... Been a day of footy on tv and now American football.... Have treated myself to a couch day/night. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
6 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I still think it's going to be marginal below 200m but higher ground should get a decent blasting off this:

PPVM89.thumb.gif.04f8f0344476ab0d774e35d476accc56.gif

I was looking thinking that's good the 528 dam line is well south of us and then it appears to tangle around the low pressure system.... Still appears to be plenty punch in this and gonna be really miserable where it is not snow which will probably be a fair old few places. Have actually lost most of the snow at the house overnight here.... Work calls but here's hoping for upgrades later as they say in the MT. 

• Like 5

Posted
6 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I still think it's going to be marginal below 200m but higher ground should get a decent blasting off this:

PPVM89.thumb.gif.04f8f0344476ab0d774e35d476accc56.gif

I'm expecting the usual frontal event disappointment here. Latest GFS is a good example with a snow to rain event now being modelled for here. Only Monday though

• Like 9

Posted
4 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'm expecting the usual frontal event disappointment here. Latest GFS is a good example with a snow to rain event now being modelled for here. Only Monday though

It was always going to be the case here to ge honest, I didn’t ever buy those narnia charts for the Edinburgh area, my old residence at Penicuik will likely be snowed in but my old house was sitting at 230m asl ❄️❄️

• Like 9