Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
7 hours ago, 101_North said:

Not changed this naysayers mood much 

As a consolation, should it go mammaries verticus here, there should be plenty of decent photos being posted! 

Still looks like a sleety mess (at best) on the coast. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Polar Side said:

Ok, that’s my ramp over. Probably jinxed it for me and 101 now.

I'm already checking your old posts, working out exactly which bit of Currie I can hunt you down in 

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'm already checking your old posts, working out exactly which bit of Currie I can hunt you down in 

Sorry about that, no sooner than I had posted a little ramp, Mr. Frost came along with his Ukmo model and poured cold water all over it.

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Polar Side said:

Sorry about that, no sooner than I had posted a little ramp, Mr. Frost came along with his Ukmo model and poured cold water all over it.

All to play for! We'd have less chance if we sat under a warning and the Met were ramping it up

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

All to play for! We'd have less chance if we sat under a warning and the Met were ramping it up

True, still in the game plus BBC are still ramping.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Stuck in work so can’t really catch up with the latest posts until later but it’s good to see the thread is busy. Hopefully a memorable snow event for some of us this week

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

I am not enthused looking at the latest ensemble snowfall output. The majority of the ECMWF 12Z ensemble members show some snowfall in Edinburgh, which is good news. But the numbers have skewed low. Likely a reflection of the more suppressed nature of the storm center. 

ecmwf-ensemble-EGPH-indiv_snow_24-0971200.png

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

@Polar Side Don’t worry - has been wrong a couple of times this month already! 

As always - radar watching/looking out the window the best bet!
I was walking through two/three inches of snowfall here the other day up at 140 meters...which wasn’t even forecast by anyone! 

Nice example below of the warm and cold air boundary colliding...

Wednesday 01:00 snapshots:

2BE95AE3-6252-4F88-A778-48C3E0A2FBB7.thumb.png.8a3d5dd09eb0ad6f578a7482dd318214.png45DC58BE-E783-4208-8B2A-CDD0CC4448B2.thumb.png.75ce5aaa85a8044ecbd6da80fcaedeb8.png205712A0-E944-45C3-A8D2-6124A17C6C25.thumb.png.f44b0424d6fe5bd5f3d75e44e7da0378.png40356319-FB3D-4800-A918-868A27BB2FAB.thumb.png.021974bc011bdc3d0192da27a0bb85b8.pngDB7282AA-7BAA-4349-95DF-1327B5490C5E.thumb.png.a19ef7f9e8e7e6150a77f4dd7e6ff9dc.png

Could be anything for you higher ground Currie guys! Heavy rain, sleet or snowfall! 

@shuggee is that you under the heavy snowfall!? My geography might be wrong! 

No worries mate, all to play for.

• Like 5

Posted

Im Absolutely not getting my hopes up for the nauld . Staying away from all charts and forecasts and I’ll just now cast . Canny cope with the disappointment 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
4 minutes ago, metallikat34 said:

I am not enthused looking at the latest ensemble snowfall output. The majority of the ECMWF 12Z ensemble members show some snowfall in Edinburgh, which is good news. But the numbers have skewed low. Likely a reflection of the more suppressed nature of the storm center. 

ecmwf-ensemble-EGPH-indiv_snow_24-0971200.png

Jeez. Unless I am reading this wrong, the GFS ensembles continue to be feast or famine with low level snow.

gfs-ensemble-all-EGPH-indiv_snow_24-0971200.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, asjmcguire said:

As I've been out of the weather circles for a bit, because of the previously given reason - I just wanted to ask a quick question. Have the various lockdowns, restrictions and grounding of flights - had a noticeable impact on the accuracy of the weather models?

Yes I read an article on this recently, and it links to an old netweather debate that happens every year at Xmas about the models struggle because less data available. 

Apparently there is far less data from flights now but better than it was and the data received on a normal day in these times is now comparable to xmas data in normal times. 

So the short answer is yes covid has affected the amount of data if the article was correct.

Somebody posted it in the model thread a few weeks ago.

• Like 7

Posted
41 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

@Polar Side Don’t worry - has been wrong a couple of times this month already! 

@shuggee is that you under the heavy snowfall!? My geography might be wrong! 

I do appear to be under a red blob. My phone says an inch. Early starter with gourmet meal 24 hours later, or greasy kebab and bed? 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

Not clicking on that, the potential for grossness is fair to middling, Ms Blitzen.

You're not wrong!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
6 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Evening all,

’Away from the immediate coast’. Was there ever a more cruel phrase in the English language? 

Interesting times but looking for more clarity and model consensus tomorrow. Needless to say no expectations of anything here on the immediate coast! 

I immediately thought of you when I wrote that sadly It isn't the worst setup for you but I do feel like the upper air temperatures associated with the centre of the low are going to be too high, and the wind speeds too high at the surface. St Andrews might have a little more luck though, maybe?

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Final post of the evening - the UKV has edged a little closer to the rest of the mode output and brings the front/low a bit further south after the pivot:970407074_viewimage(5).thumb.png.853931b871cc8927f5136aed546aae97.png

Certainly a positive trend, and hopefully one that continues tomorrow...

• Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

UKMO looks far more in line with the GFS now:

gfs-0-48.thumb.png.2d71302e210d36b7e1655a0340e1242b.pngUW48-21.thumb.gif.20d44ce926012ba95a849fac90763683.gif

Synoptically yes, and yet the UKV looks if anything even more out of line with the precipitation modelling than the GFS or ICON (both of which give a fair whack of snow and a good amount through Wednesday night well into Thursday for most of us)1037078085_viewimage(6).thumb.png.075f5126264af10fd94f5b5b100665aa.png

UKV has the front pivoting around the borders but with the second band of precip (I guess, presumably, a cold -edit: actually it's occluded - front if I was looking in more detail) well to the north again by midnight on Thursday. It would maybe come back over us but a fair difference from the 21Z run. The 03Z goes out further so hopefully that'll shed some more light but while things are moving in the right direction as far as the position of the low going further west the "stand off" remains in some form (this may change by the time I'm properly awake!). 

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
  • Like 8

Posted

Lovely frosty start out there, clear skies, calm conditions and currently -3c.

Marginal definitely still summarises the coming few days, if anything the various automated forecast models for here have trended more towards rain.

Met Office though have never given any false hope, rain forecast since the weekend!  Braemar and that area though, going to be interesting - pity they don't do a timelapse for the snowgate. 

image.thumb.png.053d1db05eae9ba0ba4504baa36ce0a8.png

BRAEMARSCOTLAND.CO.UK

This image will automatically update every minute. This webcam is located beside the caravan park on the A93 at the southern entrance to Braemar. Webcams covering other snowgates can be viewed at this link

• Like 8