Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Not changed this naysayers mood much 

To be honest 101, the same here However, you've had a lot more than I've had so far, so fair is fair

• Like 3

Posted

The meto warnings website seems to be malfunctioning at this time. Thanks Storm Christoph - just when there's some wild speculation to engage in.

13 minutes ago, edo said:

Be gone with you naysayer with your facts and evidence... No place for that here 

I'm with BFT 

Epic event for many

The word epic doesn't get used often enough - agreed!! 

• Like 9

Posted

BBC TV forecast earlier was bullish about snow ‘even down to sea level’ although, of course, their forecasts are now provided by Meteogroup (not sure which models they favour) rather than the Met Office.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Until they fix the issue that is crashing the site - you can get to the met warning directly using the link: Met Office Snow Warning (taken from the RSS feed)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I wonder why I'm bored today?  5.3c/4.4c/1007/WSW/13mph/drizzle.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Looking very interesting to say the least. Though it may be marginal the battleground type scenario will bring the snow level down to sea level I believe. They have been god awful recently but BBC also going for snow down to sea level. Where gets the most snow is completely up in the air at the moment. This type of stalling pivoting front is notoriously hard to predict hence the considerable uncertainty in the exact position.

Definitely looking like the biggest snowfall since the BFTE for most. Really hopeful we get a decent covering and hopefully more. Fingers crossed and there will be a lot of lampost watching for many this coming week

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
2 hours ago, Stormeh said:

I thought there would be more widespread warnings out for Scotland. Some charts are showing snow for many areas. I think it will come down to nowcasting, the last couple of weeks we had 2 unexpected snow events here 

I am also a bit surprised at the Met Office issued warnings. I suspect that they are heavily relying on the UKMet output. The ECMWF has been quite consistent over the last few runs with the low pressure position at 6am on Thursday. Now, how much of this falls as snow below 200m is a very good question. I can't really get access to a range of upper level temperature profiles beyond the GFS. And the GFS has been a bit too inconsistent over the last 12 hours to place much trust in their thermal profiles. 

Bottom

• Like 4

Posted

I live in the west and each run currently shows significant snow for Thursday in my location but the Met don’t seem to be buying it at all. Are they expecting the runs to trend SE with time or do they think the precipitation will simply just not reach as far as the models suggest? Particularly interested in this event because normally Battleground events here come from the west and given my near coastal location that means nearly always rain.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

Yes, this is definitely a curious one to watch. As some have mentioned, I am a bit miffed at the Met Office warnings issued this afternoon. I suspect they are only comfortable issuing warnings for hazards and locations they are quite confident will verify. And regardless of model variations, lots of England and Wales will see heavy rain.

But the wildcard spot is for sure Scotland. ECMWF has been consistent with the low pressure position from run to run (image below). There is little doubt that areas above 200/250 meters will get dumped on. But I need to see some thermal profiles for lower locations as we get closer to the event. I only have access to the GFS vertical profiles, and as some may have heard (and I was able to confirm with a former colleague at NOAA this week), the new GFS is really struggling with meoscale variables at the moment. 

This is a very fluid situation (pun intended!) and I fully expect a lot of changing forecasts in the next 48-72 hours. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 3.13.47 PM.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Wednesday night into Thursday still very much up in the air. Things should become clearer by the end of today.

Here this morning there was bright sunshine but it has clouded over this afternoon. 5C. 
This seems to be a regular theme this Winter. The best part of the day being in the morning.

Anyone else noticed this?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy / snow

Guys what do you think my chance of good snow from this event is? I am forth in south lanarkshire. 287m up. I habe my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Posted

Excuse my ignorance but who is this Paul Blight character? His name's been popping up frequently on this thread. Just curious 

• Like 1