Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - cold spell approaching?

Message added by Paul,

Please only use this thread to comment specifically about the model output. If you want to have a moan, ramp or to chat more generally about the models, the weather and so on, please use the winter chat and moans thread

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

Cross model agreement at T48? That's optimistic!

The 15th seems to be the "tipping point", once that low phasing is resolved we'll either be heading into the freezer with a good Greenland block, or the pattern will collapse and the cold wont be able to get into the UK, there isn't really a middleground scenario for this one. 

The fun will probably continue for a couple more days yet..

If that's the choice, It's usually pretty clear what the outcome will be!

Let's see what the UKMO shows, as it's getting within its range now.

• Like 1

Posted

Whilst we’re waiting for the GFS 12hrs run the Arpege  might raise some eyebrows for northern parts, the East Midlands and inland parts of East Anglia fringing into the ne of London .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
8 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

I think people should give @Kasim Awan a break hes new to the forum and just bringing enthusiasm to party. A lot yesterday were also proclaiming a mild period was nailed on. 

Weve all done it. I think deep down we all know the models dont have a scooby doo theres been more flips than an olympic gymnast but i feel this time its someone learning excited to see an idea im his head have a chance.

Any way back to the models.

Anyone not calling a cut off Greenie high like me and Kasim should go use theweatheroutlook forum hahaha

To be fair I am new to posting and when I call things are not necessarily going the cold way I got questioned on it because it wasn't what people wanted to hear. 

Again the 12z's will be interesting and think they could go either way but its the means we need to look at and I would want to see a decent improvement from earlier as IMO they are going the wrong way if you want cold at present.

Edited by Frostbite1980
  • Like 3

Posted
7 minutes ago, legritter said:

Gfs is having snow chains fitted, plus a few more gaskets  ,as its going to go boom at 192 hrs ,get the sausage baps out ,and stock up ,cheers STellas on me .

Are we already up 2 192hrs?

Posted
Just now, Frostbite1980 said:

To be fair I am new to posting and when I call things are not necessarily going the cold way I got questioned on it because it wasn't what people didn't want to hear. 

Again the 12z's will be interesting and think they could go either way but its the means we need to look at and I would want to see a decent improvement from earlier as IMO they are going the wrong way if you want cold at present.

And its wrong as well.

The only time its right is when you have 95% for an outcome n someone trolls a scenario with a 5% chance of happening. 

I respect him because like me hes made a call a forecast and left himself out to dry.

A lot will snipe but dont have the balls to puy their rep on the line!

Myself i dont care what people think.

I have seamless confidence in my methods and let the models prove it right or wrong but if ye feels that strongly it will be the final outcome thats his opinion whether you like it or not

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I know, people are holding me to that comment, fair enough. Just happened to be one EC run which threw me off.

We all make mistakes, I'm an objective scientist aware of the logical tree of possibilities involved in this situation. Applying this logic to the model output there is a split between a 1) highly amplified, meridional pattern with clean, strong amplification to Greenland with 

2) & a semi-clean amplification to Greenland / Iceland producing less favourable synoptics for sustained cold, however keeping a southerly tracking jet & bouts of cold

3) A more stark failure of the amplification & weak cut off Greenland high unable to sustain the meridional pattern

Ultimately a middle ground (2) is favoured using the ensemble, median forecasting logic. However this approach is flawed statistically because probabilities say there is a chance of either (1) or (3) materializing too.

Said the dalek, as he forlornly climbed off the dustbin!:drunk-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Whilst we’re waiting for the GFS 12hrs run the Arpege  might raise some eyebrows for northern parts, the East Midlands and inland parts of East Anglia fringing into the ne of London .

Chart??

Dm ive seen! Amazing!

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
5 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

And its wrong as well.

The only time its right is when you have 95% for an outcome n someone trolls a scenario with a 5% chance of happening. 

I respect him because like me hes made a call a forecast and left himself out to dry.

A lot will snipe but dont have the balls to puy their rep on the line!

Myself i dont care what people think.

I have seamless confidence in my methods and let the models prove it right or wrong but if ye feels that strongly it will be the final outcome thats his opinion whether you like it or not

Totally agree with that, just wish ALL input was accepted and not just that in favour of what people want! Although I like the possibility of snow down hear in 3 days

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I agree with all the comments saying nothing is nailed on until it's within t48 etc, however I think the point has been made now and we should move on. 

• Like 3

Just now, danm said:

I agree with all the comments saying nothing is nailed on until it's within t48 etc, however I think the point has been made now and we should move on. 

Yeah, depends on what you mean is "nailed on". Within 20 hours for a hi res trough / volatile front, within 100 hours for the macro placement of lows, within 140 hours for the overall synoptic pattern.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

40208B4B-96C8-404C-8B06-A25BC03C6815.thumb.png.0a00a772808668e62ad50baed5626285.png

UKMO 144. 

Heading to Greenland ?!?!

• Like 4

Posted

GFS still delayed, this the latest from NCEP

We are having a connection issue between our supercomputer and downstream NOMADS/FTPPRD dissemination services. Our teams are working to resolve and all data should be available the connection issue is fixed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
10 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Could be something in that Nick.

Thursdays fax  543141790_fax84s(2).thumb.gif.aef6f3493ac6324ffd3f32728aac0cea.gif

showing that wave development along the front.Coming back west with a cold undercut-something to watch for.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1