Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - is the beast awakening?

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

The coming few days were always modeled as marginal with the boundary moving north and south. 

Despite the ups and downs of the operational runs the means for a colder spell at the end of next week are pretty consistent. 

The T168 gefs looks OK to me. 

Screenshot_20210130-124248.thumb.jpg.2dd138d1bc73ef405d4c2074e8dd15fa.jpgScreenshot_20210130-124219.thumb.jpg.ed61755c53f58dc9c97191922f9547c7.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 hour ago, dallas said:

Nick, do we need this low to dissappear or move S/E?

Move S or SE ideally but with high pressure building to the N too.

• Like 1

Posted

ecm and gfs op were mildest solution towards end of next week,lots of ensembles are 12 c colder for next thurs and friday than the op.Crazy diiference!

Confusion or what,and posters saying cold spell not happening,well thats  not the case either,far from it infact.

Maybe just ignore the models at the moment and go with the Met,they use other tools like mogreps etc

rrrrrruno.gif

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, sun and snow.

Quiet in here this afternoon. Not unexpected given the uncertainty at the moment.

If anybody is feeling bored, but helpful, I have a curious itch that needs a good scratch please.

I often hear references to “that ECM”. I gather it was some sort of predicted Easterly around 2012 that never happened. I’d be interested to know more about it. At what timescale did it change. Was it a sudden change or death by a thousand downgrades? How did it align with the other models? I gather is must be a big deal here. After all, a poster has even named themselves after it!

Any references or links would be most welcome. 

I know it’s a sad request, but it’s been chucking it down all day (rain) and I’m after something interesting to read about.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
10 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

Quiet in here this afternoon. Not unexpected given the uncertainty at the moment.

If anybody is feeling bored, but helpful, I have a curious itch that needs a good scratch please.

I often hear references to “that ECM”. I gather it was some sort of predicted Easterly around 2012 that never happened. I’d be interested to know more about it. At what timescale did it change. Was it a sudden change or death by a thousand downgrades? How did it align with the other models? I gather is must be a big deal here. After all, a poster has even named themselves after it!

I know it’s a sad request, but it’s been chucking it down all day (rain) and I’m after something interesting to read about.

From memory ( which might be wrong) but as I remember it it was the ecm steadfastly predicting something along the lines of a long fetch 50mph easterly that went up in smoke about a day and half out of from landing

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
12 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

Others will provide you with charts and greater clarity than me I'm sure,but I do remember watching it unfold.

I think we had a 'nailed Easterly' with it 'all singing and dancing' in terms of potential.

I think it was consistent up to 72hrs? Before a massive downgrade.

I can't remember if the other models were in agreement at the time? Somthing I would like answered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Griff said:

Oh no, models are terrible this morning, will it snow in 10 days over my auntie's lighthouse?

We are a right bunch aren't we!  ❤️

gfsnh-0-240.png

gfsnh-1-240.png

First time I've been on the mod thread after quite a few references to the drama of it, on the regional ones.

All I want know is, if Stoke / Cheshire is set for a decent Snow events without any toys hitting me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted

A bit of an ensemble watch and a look at the 850 gefs 06z graph for Warks.

1841987099_warkst.thumb.png.3c8d3536dbdde246079516dd3ef3986e.png

Good agreement this far south that milder air moves north from  2-4th and then we see the dip to cold.The Op actually a little slower than the majority in cold returning but essentially by the 6th it's here.

Then comes a wide spread on the longevity and uppers.The odd one shows it could end within 24 hrs or quite a number show this evolve into a longer spell.

We have members heading for +5c and down to _13/14c the following week.Having said that the majority remain below 0c so based on these you would have to favour a below average trend at least.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

A little bit of musing for any potential cold from the east given the current modelling uncertainty.

I will use the UKMO day 6 chart, but the rest are similar in the placement of the main players in this scene.

image.thumb.gif.3be263299b7137fd0a23bc5ae9a44706.gif

low pressure over the U.K. with high pressure building to the north of the U.K.

I must admit to feeling a little dubious with the ECM this morning with that low crawling eastwards. I would be leaning more towards the low filling and sinking southwards in this scenario to sit within that trough digging south of Iberia. This in itself would produce an easterly flow on the northern flank of the low.

The second issue will be the degree of cold air advection moving west/south west around the south flank of the developing high to our north. Usually there should be some improvements in this the closer to the event we get, not a rush of cold/unstable air but a steadier bleed of cold air feeding from the Baltic Sea towards us. I guess putting these together would put me in the GFS camp for how this might evolve (Though the low to the south probably blows up a little too much, I am not expecting easterly gales in the south).

So as we move towards the next set of runs, I am leaning towards an easterly solution prevailing once the uncertainty dies down. However the depth of cold and 500mb heights are still uncertain. As such we could see a snowy set up develop, but equally if the set up is more stable with insufficient depth of cold then we could easily end up with a cold and cloudy set up with merely a few snow grains as our reward. This risk from an easterly only increases as we move through winter as the North Sea continues to cool.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
10 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

From memory ( which might be wrong) but as I remember it it was the ecm steadfastly predicting something along the lines of a long fetch 50mph easterly that went up in smoke about a day and half out of from landing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

The 06z GFS snow viewer has it snowing in central Scotland from 0300 Tues to 1200 Fri 

You say that as if it’s a bad thing . Lol Most coldies in here would be breaking open the champagne if that happened in their area .

Theres no such thing as too much snow ! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

This may be the thread from early 2012

I had a quick read several pages in when an easterly was in the modeling at the time.It may not be the one but worth a look perhaps.

The Model output archives are here if anyone wishes to search back for anything of interest from years gone by.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/162-model-discussion-archive/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

This may be the thread from early 2012

I had a quick read several pages in when an easterly was in the modeling at the time.It may not be the one but worth a look perhaps.

The Model output archives are here if anyone wishes to search back for anything of interest from years gone by.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/162-model-discussion-archive/

Wasn’t “that ECM” from December 2012?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, danm said:

Wasn’t “that ECM” from December 2012?

You could be correct.

I wasn't sure when i posted the one i did.I am sure someone will turn it up using the archive link.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
59 minutes ago, Lord Grogon said:

My recollection was that just after Christmas only the ECM was not promising us the winter nirvana that all the other models were predicting was on its way from T96.  Then all of a sudden it delivered the run of all runs to get itself firmly on board and provide model agreement across the board.  That lasted until the next GFS run which was poor and derided until all the other models took its lead!

A huge disappointment and some wrote off winter at that point, but we went on to enjoy some good snowy periods in the following month  and of course March 2013 proved to be a belter!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1