Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 08 Feb 2021 Onward

Mapantz

Posted

Now this has passed through, there's blue sky to our north. Some heavier patches of rain embedded in this last strip, although mainly drizzle in and around Dorchester and Weymouth

image.thumb.png.4deb075c8d7c2a864cd5ba17fd4e78e5.png

Temperature dropped back to 9.8°C after peaking at 11.1°C at: 11:46..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Wondering whether 2021 will be one of the dullest years on record for central southern England? (more so than the southwest perhaps)

Certainly I get the impression that the majority of months have been varying degrees of duller than average, with only April sunnier than average, and September about average. The autumn while calm and benign seemed to be generally cloudy in Oct and Nov, and the summer - apart from the first half of June and one week in July - seemed to be very cloudy indeed. May was of course spectacularly unseasonable and cloudy apart from the last few days. December has been pretty dull apart from the first 10 days - and the remaining days of the month look very dull indeed - and I don't think Jan, Feb or Mar were much better. Would be interesting to see the annual stats when they come out.

In fact, generally, it seems to have been unusually cloudy for an extended period from around the autumn equinox 2019, with the exception of the spectacularly sunny April and May 2020, and September 2020. Strange how April and September seem to be breaking the general pattern of cloudiness so often.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Yesterday did at least produce some brightness after a naff start but today is Groundhog Day... 

Posted

Morning All, a wet start after overnight/early morning rain adding another 9.6mm to the monthly/annual total. Currently really very mild at 12.7°C after an overnight low of 7.9°C at: 00:00 and RH97% with the breeze in from the SW..

Just a single dog taking it's owner out for a walk this morning...

image.thumb.png.e150d3023d7b499199d9a869d237ae52.png

Posted

Milky sunshine for about an hour now and the temperature has responded accordingly to 14 degrees! Smells of 2015...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

While not from the South West, have to admit that once Christmas has passed, feels like things start to somewhat drag. Some of that due to really wanting the days to quickly get longer again. 

Having said that, this brighter afternoon with the very mild temperatures (around 14*C here), makes it feel as though Spring has just woken up. Makes it hard to believe it’s only 29th December!

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Anyone else depresssed as stained glass window? I hate this period between crimbo and NY

Yes and I think the weather is not helping what with it being so dull!  If it was bright and sunny with a snow cover, it would be much better IMO!

• Thanks 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, kevvo said:

I've gone through no data, but this must rank as one of the most miserable Christmas- New Year periods ever.

I am very grateful that in Wiltshire the sky has cleared to some extent every afternoon on the last 4 days.

Posted

Morning All, so in summary, overcast, wet, breezy, mild, a deja vu day really, with the mildest temperature 12.7°C at: 06:03, RH97% and a gusty wind in from the WSW peaking 18mph and wet from overnight rain and drizzle..

image.thumb.png.04fc41600fb4d76609563ea17f629306.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot summers; frigid winters; golden fall; bright spring

Yes this Xmas-New Year period has been the least seasonal I can remember, pity the kids who got sledges from Santa and are desperate to try them out especially Midlands southwards.

Posted

Trying to clear up again. Another day above 14 degrees I think, if we can get some sunshine like yesterday.

Posted
7 hours ago, kevvo said:

I've gone through no data, but this must rank as one of the most miserable Christmas- New Year periods ever.

It's been constant cloud here for weeks now. Totally fed up of it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy winters, hot and sunny summers with thunderstorms!

So mild today! 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Don said:

Horrible dull day today, really depressing!

I'm through the floor on the depression scale today. I'm done.

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm through the floor on the depression scale today. I'm done.

Beka, can I suggest you teach hubby how to take the kids to, and collect from school. Then get him to put you in a cardboard box, wrap you up, and leave a nearby bowl of water, and wake you up in May2022. This murk seems destined to plague us for months yet, even the MetO have given up on it, and switched Off their super computer...

• Thanks 1