Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2021 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

This storm sums up this autumn as being a bit of a oddity. Our only storm to deliver gales, let alone storm force winds would be from the north/north east. 
A very rough night to come along those North Sea coasts. Whilst  high winds do occur, the fact they are north easterly instead of from the west will cause more problems than our typical autumn systems.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
3 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

This storm sums up this autumn as being a bit of a oddity. Our only storm to deliver gales, let alone storm force winds would be from the north/north east. 
A very rough night to come along those North Sea coasts. Whilst  high winds do occur, the fact they are north easterly instead of from the west will cause more problems than our typical autumn systems.

Yes. After a very benign autumn, the atlantic has arrived with a vengeance. Just in the nick of time too before autumn comes to an end.

Spring was quite odd this year too. In my neck of the woods at least, the warmest day of that season was in March. 

We certainly have an eventful night ahead of us. And being outside in those strong north easterly winds will feel very cold indeed.

Posted

A short period of wet snow at sea level here tonight despite only -4C uppers. Its stopped now but it was a nice surprise at the end of one of the mildest, but most benign Autumns in living memory.

Hopefully it won't be the first and last snow we see this year!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
2 hours ago, Frigid said:

A red weather warning for wind, and for it to come from the north makes it ever so unusual. Think the last time we had a red warning was during the BFTE in 2018. 

We had one last year for Storm Dennis, think it was for rain though..?

BTFE red warnings were for snow. 

Edited by Beanz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 26/11/2021 at 20:03, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes. After a very benign autumn, the atlantic has arrived with a vengeance. Just in the nick of time too before autumn comes to an end.

Spring was quite odd this year too. In my neck of the woods at least, the warmest day of that season was in March. 

And other than the gales in March (which are commonplace anyway), May was probably the most autumnal month this year!

• Like 1

Posted

Those saying no chance of snow.. too mild.. never happens etc.. well there we are a fairly widespread low level snow event much of central England. Not a bad start to the winter season and its November. 

• Like 2

Posted
On 27/11/2021 at 09:16, damianslaw said:

Those saying no chance of snow.. too mild.. never happens etc.. well there we are a fairly widespread low level snow event much of central England. Not a bad start to the winter season and its November. 

Yes I’m only 40m up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Standard breezy day on the South Coast, barely any rain either,although cold. South downs do a good job steltering here from a northerly wind. 4c.

Edited by Freeze
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
On 27/11/2021 at 11:32, Freeze said:

Standard breezy day on the South Coast, barely any rain either,although cold. South downs do a good job steltering here from a northerly wind. 4c.

Pretty much the same here. A few spots of rain and some wind.

I just said in the regional thread; I hope we don't keep getting northerly incursions through winter, because they are pretty boring in the far south.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Pretty much the same here. A few spots of rain and some wind.

I just said in the regional thread; I hope we don't keep getting northerly incursions through winter, because they are pretty boring in the far south.

Agree, Northerly or North Westerly's simply don't cut it for us in the South & SE.

Air mass usually significantly modified by the time it reaches the South coast.

In Kent, we look East or North East for frigid air. 

Ideally, high pressure stretching from Iceland to Scandinavia with bitter cold air on the near continent  (see my forum picture from January 1987)

Then, we get peppered with heavy convective snow showers and streamers off the North sea.

And, once the cold is in place, then look out for a channel low and blizzard conditions! ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️

Unfortunately, this set-up rarely falls into place! 

Edited by snowblizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
1 minute ago, snowblizzard said:

Agree, Northerly or North Westerly's simply don't cut it for us in the South & SE.

Air mass usually significantly modified by the time it reaches the South coast.

In Kent, we look East or North East for frigid air. 

Ideally, high pressure stretching from Iceland to Scandinavia with bitter cold air on the near continent  (see my forum picture from January 1987)

Then, we get peppered with heavy convective snow showers and streamers off the North sea.

And, once the cold is in place, then look out for a channel low and blizzard conditions! ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️

You are correct. Those synoptics have been thin on the ground. Our area was cut off in 87 but that spell be it sort was historic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters

So having read the most recent couple of pages of posts on the model thread, it seems that a return to milder than average (which admit it is where the weather has been for much of autumn) is less likely than remaining average or a touch below.

I wonder if they look back and see if that 98mph storm down the east coast was predicted two weeks ago? Would this help to show that FI is about 4 days out?

The actual surface weather (eg snaw, freezing fog, frost etc.), as we know, can't be detailed more than about 48hrs ahead. Seems the next focus point is probably Thursday for something cooler than average.  

Here many trees down and roads closed overnight as we topped 70mph gusts. No snow (some fleeting hail yesterday ahead of the wind). Bright sunny windy and bitterly cold. Current sheltered shaded temperature 4C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Now this has been a proper Autumns day. Winter knocking on the door, several inchs of snow fall, 2 more days of good colder weather before a slight relapse on tues but thankfully winter comes in on good shape, love it for once!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Now this has been a proper Autumns day. Winter knocking on the door, several inchs of snow fall, 2 more days of good colder weather before a slight relapse on tues but thankfully winter comes in on good shape, love it for once!

Yes agree, but you will still get a few posters who always looking out for those one of charts that’s show white out conditions 10ft snow etc, never ever going happen,…and also some will forget this weekend has ever happened..

• Like 2

Posted

Unless it’s dry cold and sunny, (which to be fair, we had a few days like that earlier this week), or cold and snowy, or even the cold dry dull variety. Today’s weather is the absolute pits, as I hate the cold wet windy variety, with a bitter windchill.

It gave me the perfect excuse to sit inside all day and watch tv. Not going in this muck, especially when I have to get up early and walk to the station at 5.45am on weekdays for my commute to work. That’s depressing enough.

It’s seasonal, and I get that, so part of me appreciates the cold fresh air. But, I really did struggle to keep warm while waiting on the station platform last night while it was 5c with a 1c windchill. I was just longing for those 25c days with sunshine. 

Posted
1 hour ago, slater said:

Yes agree, but you will still get a few posters who always looking out for those one of charts that’s show white out conditions 10ft snow etc, never ever going happen,…and also some will forget this weekend has ever happened..

It’s not very memorable. This type of weather is boring to me. Each to their own though. I won’t remember it, unless it snows.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s not very memorable. This type of weather is boring to me. Each to their own though. I won’t remember it, unless it snows.

Seeing snow this early is almost impossible here, so I'm not even disappointed. Just feels like a cold winters day, with a breeze.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Seeing snow this early is almost impossible here, so I'm not even disappointed. Just feels like a cold winters day, with a breeze.

I think a breeze is an understatement. It’s bloody freezing outside and the type of wind that makes you feel uncomfortable if one is out for longer periods of time. Horrible day.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think a breeze is an understatement. It’s bloody freezing outside and the type of wind that makes you feel uncomfortable if one is out for longer periods of time. Horrible day.

It is cold yes, but I'm a coastal dweller and am used to strong winds, maybe not quite this cold though. I've had summer seabreezes sometimes blow similar strength to this, but I'm speaking for my location.