Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Not a great morning with spells of cloudy, dull, dampness interspersed with sunny and rainy periods. Not much of a wind and, again, cool rather than cold.

Temperature high was 10.1⁰C at 11:40 up from a low of 5.4⁰C at 01:48 and now 8.9⁰C, humidity is 88%, wind is 0 to 6mph south-southwesterly with a maximum gust of 11mph at 09:41, pressure is 1017.6hPa rising slowly, there’s been 1.2mm of rainfall today and 6.0mm in the last 24 hours, and cloud cover is currently 7/8.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Good evening, looks like I have timed it well this year. Some nice looking charts that actually look like might lead to a spell rather than a snap. Not the best for me personally as the classic wishbone northerly happens and the snow skirts around here but a few potential routes to slack easterlys here and there aswell. hopefully gets busy on here next few days and it will indicate winter is upon us. 

• Like 8

Posted

-10 uppers a mere 1 week away 

Screenshot_20211117-203055.png

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

Sweet GFS 12z. Aifter a wee aperitif this weekend...

h850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.pngh850t850eu.png

some impressive kinks on the 26th 

• Like 2

Posted

Not much change from earlier on with temperature, humidity and pressure staying much as was, and wind speed and rainfall amount increasing to 6 to 10mph southwesterly with a gust of 13mph at 18:33, and 2.6mm of rain. Temperature now 9.4⁰C, humidity is 93% and pressure is 1018.2hPa steady.

• Like 1

Posted
30 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Just 13C here at 8am with a damp warm breeze...I can't remember what the average max for the time of year is for here but I doubt it's much over double figures, if at all.

This will be the third year in a row that the gardeners are back cutting the grass in November. Historically, they would finish up late September and return end of May.

Bizarre  

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I remember last year I cut the grass every month from February to November before heading out to Canada. Thankfully no grass at my Dad's to deal with before going back. The mild weather in Scotland just seems to roll and roll and roll these days.

A return to more seasonal temperatures next week and it looks pretty dry. Bank!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

You heard it here first!

Not the express mind, but a much more reliable source. 

snow-comp1.png?strip=all&quality=100&w=1
WWW.THESCOTTISHSUN.CO.UK

SCOTLAND could be gripped by the coldest winter in over a decade with snow set to hit the country today.Forecasters are predicting a bleak end to Nove

• Like 6

Posted

Dry, light winds and currently 14.4c.

A light grey cloud shield overhead but plenty of blue sky over to the NE.

Also noticed daffodil bulbs coming through in one of the raised beds - wahay, spring already 

• Like 5

Posted

I suppose it’s a tad on the mild side today but not as mild as the forecasts predicted for here. Maybe we’re being held back by the thick cloud cover and successive sharp showers being blown through.

Temperature high is 12.0⁰C now, up from a low of 10.2⁰C at 00:02, humidity is 93%, wind is 5 to 11mph west-southwesterly with a maximum gust of 16mph at 00:54, pressure is 1021.1hPa rising slowly, there’s been 9.2mm of rain today and 12.2mm in the last 24 hours, and cloud cover is a substantial 8/8.

• Like 5

Posted

Random post.

Spotted, and copied, this method for drying firewood while visiting a local supplier. Drying times are much improved compared to storing in the wood sheds.

Each IBC holds approximately a m3.

20210724_162016.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

Random post.

Spotted, and copied, this method for drying firewood while visiting a local supplier. Drying times are much improved compared to storing in the wood sheds.

Each IBC holds approximately a m3.

20210724_162016.jpg

IBCs are great for drying especially if you have a nice open windy spot to stack them. 

A neighbour has taken this a step further and uses his tractor to move one right to his back door to avoid any effort whatsoever! 

• Like 5

Posted

I'm wondering when we are allowed to start getting excited...?! (That'll jinx it).

• Like 4

Posted

There's been a few Booms, Bank and shades of 2010 over on the MOD thread. It's pretty much nailed on  

I would happily settle for a few frosty mornings.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 5

Posted

Exciting times to come on the old weather then?  Grey and drizzly here bit breezy but MILD! (tomorrow looks even milder) Not gonna last though...............

• Like 5

Posted
On 18/11/2021 at 15:02, Paul said:

I'm going to get excited regardless, because if nothing else it shouldn't be drizzling this time next week. 

Of course - we are going to get used to you popping into the local boozer now and propping up the bar in here!

As a resident, welcome @Paul !:ball-santa-emoji:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

A mild and windy day here today. Max of 14.3C with a few sunny intervals. A very quickly changing sky just now. Looking like colder for next week but at least initially looking dry for this location. 

BA895A5F-F52A-4894-9DBE-8BB911E87DBD.jpeg

BA240757-8543-47DD-A311-B630DB2A4E3D.jpeg

2DAF5832-7142-4CC2-BEE3-FE2E2F36F782.jpeg

0683D0E6-1A8B-491E-9E34-4BD8422BE05C.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

Hey catch  don't jinx it.. models have been pretty bullish about it turning  much colder and wintery. Not so sure it's going to full on Narnia but hopefully it will at least be seasonal ! As I am sick to ma back teeth taking my spaniels out in this constant grey drizzly / showery nonsense

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Some toys are already been thrown..thought lessons would have been learnt by now. Can't call a UK cold spell until it's upon us..too many factors n spoilers for this island of ours.  V difficult to model.

Well its not called the MAD thread for nothing. Its actually not been quite as mad in there as it has been previously, but its still boom or bust as every run from every model is taken as gospel by some. 

Anyway, as @Scepticalsaid, even a few frosty mornings would be a welcome change. If we could get the odd flurry of snow then even better, as we could post a few wintry picture and watch as those on the S of England rant about how they haven't seen a flake of snow since at least 1874. 

• Like 3

Posted
37 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Well its not called the MAD thread for nothing. Its actually not been quite as mad in there as it has been previously, but its still boom or bust as every run from every model is taken as gospel by some. 

Anyway, as @Scepticalsaid, even a few frosty mornings would be a welcome change. If we could get the odd flurry of snow then even better, as we could post a few wintry picture and watch as those on the S of England rant about how they haven't seen a flake of snow since at least 1874. 

I spent the first 18 years of my life on the English south coast...can recall one decent winter with snowfall of any depth..now 52 I have spent the last 16 years in coastal Ayrshire which I have to say despite being 450 miles further north fares no better !!

• Like 4