Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Stormy night here too moved cattle to field with wood shelter yesterday afternoon and had a chilled Sunday today inside in the warm.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
19 hours ago, Quinach said:

Very quiet in here, everyone blown away? 

gg.thumb.jpg.af6b5d63563780f462fc5e4e6bc0f429.jpg

Apologies, I have a note from my Mum, I’ve been poorly. That is a fabulous photo; all it needs is snow-topped mountains on the horizon to be a perfect ‘four seasons in one day’ study. Here, it’s more of a monsoon in one hour sort of day.

Temperature is currently the high for the day at 11.8⁰C up from a low of 2.2⁰C at 00:48, humidity is 94%, wind is 0 to 5mph southerly with a maximum gust of 8mph, pressure is 1013.8hPa falling slowly, there’s been 6.2mm of rain so far today and it’s raining now, cloud cover is 8/8.

• Like 6

Posted

Lovely start to the day with plenty of sunshine - still some heat in the sun as well as the greenhouse managed to rise to 20c.

Thanks in part to the mild air, currently 11c and still rising.

Cloud steadily increased as the morning wore on, overcast by noon and rain looks to be here shortly.

uu.thumb.jpg.b9de0797369ca3ab41fbdb2d8455c8fe.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
21 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Stormy night here too moved cattle to field with wood shelter yesterday afternoon and had a chilled Sunday today inside in the warm.

I miss stormy spells, they've been pretty much non existent in the central belt for over a year now. Halloween 2020 was the last time I remember 50mph + winds here. In fact windy days in general seem to be well below average this year. 

• Like 6

Posted

Saturday night was a corker here with a very gusty wind indeed and at one stage it blew one of the guinea fowl down from the chimney top! She was not happy...

Wet this afternoon and a steady rate of temp increase. Now sitting at 11.4C at 5pm.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

It's been a ho hum few days here, a kind of rinse and repeat scenario. Breezy and showery ( again! ) current temp 9.9c but does feel a wee bit chillier. Bound to improve at some point I'm sure, but not holding my breath. 

• Like 4

Posted

A dull start to the day has brightened up to the extent that the sun broke through a couple of hours ago and is still shining. Breezy and cool so far.

Today’s high temperature so far was 11.9⁰C at midnight dropping to a low of 9.7⁰C at 03:08 and rising again to 11.1⁰C currently, humidity is 85%, wind is 4 to 10mph south-southwesterly with a maximum fust of 12mph at 12:40, pressure is 1014.1hPa steady, there’s been 11.0mm of rain in the early hours of today and 18.6mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover has been breaking up since sunrise and is now 2/8.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I see rumblings/ramblings in the mad house of Greenland highs and 2010 etc... now i wasn't on here that winter and i missed most of that spell with Swine flu. So just wondering if any guys and girls in here remember it well and what it was like... just so i can dream the dream..❄❄

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

My avatar is my coalhouse in the winter of 2010. It's 5ft high and that pic is of level snow, not a drift.

• Like 6

Posted
20 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

I see rumblings/ramblings in the mad house of Greenland highs and 2010 etc... now i wasn't on here that winter and i missed most of that spell with Swine flu. So just wondering if any guys and girls in here remember it well and what it was like... just so i can dream the dream..❄❄

Fill your boots 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/weather/learn-about/uk-past-events/interesting/2010/snow-and-low-temperatures-december-2010---met-office.pdf

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted

What that link does show is that for a lot of folks away from the Central Belt / East Coast 2010 really wasn't much of an event. 

• Like 4

Posted

3.5c start to the day with a ground frost in any sheltered areas. DSC02793.thumb.JPG.64da4d211203e581b050aba3cdcfd8b4.JPG However blue skies and sunshine nowDSC02796.thumb.JPG.aa8f78a5c18c5be8e9bf3eb83a23de8b.JPG

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 7

Posted
22 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

The snow was so bad during 2009/10, I had to bite the bullet and buy a snowblower. Lowest temperature I noticed on the car display was -25.6°C. Car porches and farm shed roofs were collapsing due to the depth of the snow. The village I live in was a mess, eventually diggers arrived and started clearing the pavements. The snow was taken to a local park and dumped, it was July before the pile fully melted.

Unprecedented.

• Like 8

Posted

Been a very respectable couple of days.

Basically carbon copies of each other with abundant sunshine and light winds.

Max of 12c this time yesterday, cooler today as its currently 7.9c (after a slight overnight frost of -0.1c, so second frost of the season). 

That trusty barometer of winter temperatures - nasturtiums - show winter temperatures are still not here as they are in full flower and not a smelly pile of green mush thanks to a decent frost.

eedf.thumb.jpg.0d63862cd6f0eb562a8a7b82c5e75a77.jpg

Photogenic Cirrus coming and going both days.

d.thumb.jpg.95aec8d33ac34438f5c7aba11225956c.jpg

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 9

Posted

Yesterday vs today (with a guest appearance by Finn). 2.7C at dawn.

PXL_20211109_153633930.jpg

PXL_20211110_154255282.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

2010 late November into December saw a great snow event for the Glasgow area with repeated top ups and some *exceptionally* cold temperatures. Frequently down past -15c at night and not even close to freezing during the day.

Severe cold such as what we saw then is about a once a decade event on average. We’ve not really seen it since so id say we’re due one.

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Jersey Shore What GIF

We have the -10 850s east flow animsaa2.gifanimtjp9.gif

I have made a couple posts discussing my focus for an easterly over on the mod thread connected with the MJO phases recently, has been starting to creep into modelling through the last couple of days

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Jersey Shore What GIF

We have the -10 850s east flow animsaa2.gifanimtjp9.gif

I have made a couple posts discussing my focus for an easterly over on the mod thread connected with the MJO phases recently, has been starting to creep into modelling through the last couple of days

I was keeping my fingers crossed that any cold/snowy conditions wouldn't arrive until the Xmas holidays. I'm working on a process plant up Peterhead, we've already had wintry showers this month with real feel temperatures 5°C and lower. Thankfully the construction phase,  so far, has been inside.

The outside works are due to kick off a week on Monday  

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4

Posted

A much cloudier day, at times classic Aberdeenshire Permagloom™....

rrrt.thumb.jpg.7fa4474ff7124e18b660f2f7d00de2f8.jpg

Max of 8.1c and light winds.

• Like 4

Posted

Yesterday I went to the Grand Hall in Kilmarnock (who’d have thunk it, I expected a scout hut,) to get my booster and flu jabs, which were brilliantly organised and caused me no adverse reactions whatsoever. Today I went to my mum’s and got a corned beef roll, which is more my speed to be honest, and likewise suffered no adverse reactions. Also drove past the village library (converted phone box) where poppy man had installed himself. Applause to all involved; lest we forget.

High temperature today was 11.5⁰C at 18:46 up from the low of 6.8⁰C at 08:59, humidity is 88%, wind is 3 to 7mph southerly with a maximum gust of 18mph at 18:41, pressure is 1005.6hPa falling fast, there was 1.0mm of rainfall today from 2pm onwards and cloud cover went from 2/8 this morning to 7/8 at sunset.

11 Nov 21a.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

A day that reminds you that November really is, normally, a crappy month weatherwise.

rrr.thumb.jpg.7afd3506c930a30e33755f6c571d0ae8.jpg

Classic Permagloom™ with pulses of light rain to add to the mood.

Light winds and the mild conditions continue, currently 10.5c.

• Like 6

Posted

It’s been dull and damp since daybreak and middling chilly with a liberal spreading of windiness. The less attractive side of autumn.

Temperature high was 12.2⁰C at 01:13 dropping to a low of 9.5⁰C at 07:09 and now back up to 10.7⁰C, humidity is 91%, wind 4 to 13mph southwesterly with a maximum gust of 20mph at 12:37, pressure is 994.5hPa steady, there’s been 5.0mm of rainfall today and 6.0mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover has been a pretty constant 8/8.

• Like 4

Posted

Dull misty and calm at 9c first thing. Sky cleared about midday and temp still 9c. Has a wee nip in the air after sky cleared as though we are cooling down. Feeding cattle was a warm job with the high humidity.

Photo of badger M1 over a newly ploughed field. Huge numbers of them in this area.20211113_120550.thumb.jpg.d47d7e7d221c0f17501b9dcf09d8b11b.jpg

• Like 7