Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Not really weather but a few memories of my mother have been stirred this week.She was an ardent Royalist of a similar age and had modelled her hairstyles and clothes on the Queen as she grew up. During the second world war she was a typist working for  the head of overseas broadcasting at  the BBC in London.He had been a senior navel officer on the British Flag Ship. What with this connection and working at the BBC she acquired a real BBC/Queen  voice.  When she moved up here my father and two children to the farm in the early sixties she became a member of the W.R.I. (womens rural institute) and eventually became the local president.  At one point she had to a make a speech to a local Estate owner on behalf of the W.R.I. and it was while practising this speech at home gave a great deal of mirth to my father my sister and me as  the old BBC /Queens voice   came to the fore. We teased her a lot and even now I have had a few laughs over it. As a footnote her boss at the BBC started our long association with spaniels giving her a pup he had bred as a wedding present to her.Then every 9 years or so until his passing he would ring up and say time you had a pup again and my parents set off to London to collect it. Funny the memories stirred this week.

Just had a sharp shower but sun is out again.Much fresher today

My mum was an admirer too. She was born on the same day as the Queen and met her a couple of times. The last was when she was one of eighty from the UK and Commonwealth invited to her eightieth birthday party at Buckingham Palace. Apparently she was so determined to have a chat with the Queen about the Scottish Highlands that she nudged twins from New Zealand out of the way who tried to move in front of her leaving her next to Phillip.

Meanwhile after a mostly bright and breezy day here a bit of not too threatening cloud has moved in from the West. 16.9C.

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Spotted the first squadron of geese heading south this evening, chattering excitedly as they passed.

Just heard the  first ones here very high up in the afternoon. Will probably see a lot more in the next few days as I see snow has arrived in Svalbard.

• Like 9

Posted

Another beautiful, mainly sunny day - the deluge last week is quickly being forgotten.

Light winds and a max of 17c.

A curious but colourful visitor to the garden, goggle lens failed in coming up with a exact match - a type of shieldbug?

image.thumb.png.e51385b4f9f930dcdf9a7a4436329202.png

Castle Fraser as resplendent as ever in the evening sun, going to miss being able to have evening walks round there shortly as the nights are really closing in now.

2022425931_CastleFraser.thumb.jpg.31a9b195bf5f434ecf166359ac3c1666.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
14 hours ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Spotted the first squadron of geese heading south this evening, chattering excitedly as they passed.

We seen the first ones last week. The strange thing was they seemed to be flying in circles. 

Maybe they couldn't make their mind up if it was time or not?

Last few mornings have felt like it's time though. Definitely a cooler feel. 

• Like 6

Posted
15 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Just heard the  first ones here very high up in the afternoon. Will probably see a lot more in the next few days as I see snow has arrived in Svalbard.

And on cue a neghbours barley stubble fields are covered in geese this morning. Cool start at 10c  with a bit of drizzle this morning

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
14 hours ago, Quinach said:

A curious but colourful visitor to the garden, goggle lens failed in coming up with a exact match - a type of shieldbug?

image.thumb.png.e51385b4f9f930dcdf9a7a4436329202.png

Bit of Google investigating 😁 I think it's this 

First 0C 850s (-2s as lowest value) of the Autumn coming in animjnr7.gif @shuggee not sure if you have the stats when you normally get your first frost 🤓 but chances quite high for that to give you the first of this autumn I'd think 

• Like 6

Posted

24 Sep 2020 -0.7C

27 Sep 2021 -2.7C

That's the last two years - so we're getting close! My poor bedding plants and tomats 😞

• Like 7

Posted

Any of you lads / lasses spot it? 

• Like 6

Posted
7 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Any of you lads / lasses spot it? 

Never seen it but nice to see the footage.

• Like 4

Posted

Very cool wind from a northerly direction at about 10c this morning Clear bright sky with an arctic source Some small showers about with quite wintry looking colours.

• Like 7

Posted

Autumn has arrived weatherwise - cool (max of 12c) with frequent blustery showers driven through quickly on a brisk N to NNW wind.

On the upside, glorious visibility and perfect weather for rainbows.

image.thumb.png.af90bcc01979eb0c6632bb9f3f2ec23d.png

• Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, Northernlights said:

Very cool wind from a northerly direction at about 10c this morning Clear bright sky with an arctic source Some small showers about with quite wintry looking colours.

Some sharp showers  about and in the last one temperature fell to 9c

20220915_135746.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Some beautiful September weather today, absolutely cracking with clear skies, unbroken sun and a low autumnal light starting to make its appearance.

Leaving the country on Monday morning and given the amount of closures that day I’m glad. You can have a day off but you’ll be lucky if you can do anything with it. This whole enforced mourning period is a joke. Don’t ever let it be said the royal family aren’t political when we’re stumping up for this nonsense alongside the existence of foodbanks.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Missed the meteor/space junk/fireball thing but have enjoyed seeing the videos and pictures on Twitter. 

@Glaswegianblizzard we're heading for the hills on Monday hopefully. That's our usual default to anything Royal on the telly. 

• Like 6

Posted

First snow of the Autumn for the highest parts Highlands nmm_uk1-45-21-3.png?15-16

Most of Scotland covered by the -2 850s by midday tomorrow nmm_uk1-16-22-3.png?15-16

Also got these as the showers were developing today with the cumulus trying their best to become Tcu Screenshot_20220915_193105_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bc7708502fe06b3fe245826459738833.jpg 

Screenshot_20220915-151823_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d067d9c01d12e1f3f18520ff0fb72e23.jpg20220915_151842.thumb.jpg.91fdd891ead963b7290d0c4dce52d187.jpg20220915_151627.thumb.jpg.5024f2cb3d696adeb77cdae2a629b2db.jpg20220915_155625.thumb.jpg.464e0dc6a6f31ca3bef2e2ca6f32d826.jpg

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 9

Posted
6 hours ago, Quinach said:

Autumn has arrived weatherwise - cool (max of 12c) with frequent blustery showers driven through quickly on a brisk N to NNW wind.

On the upside, glorious visibility and perfect weather for rainbows.

image.thumb.png.af90bcc01979eb0c6632bb9f3f2ec23d.png

Some lovely cloudscapes this afternoon.  Feeling a tad chilly outside compared to recently, currently 7c.

hhu.thumb.jpg.86f2c4dc6ca9aa9aedfa33637b00d160.jpg

hhy.thumb.jpg.a24fa6a10c73e7f016682e95bb7d1030.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

First frost of the year this morning. Temp on weather station says 1.1Deg.

Car window was frozen solid.

• Like 9

Posted

Repeat performance of yesterday with frequent blustery showers being driven through quickly on a fresh N to NW wind.

Some good spells of sunshine as well, but that is doing little to raise the temperature - a chilly 10c and feeling a lot colder than that with the wind chill.

Winter jacket getting unearthed as a result. 

• Like 9