Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

A few wet snowflakes mixing in here. 2.0c currently, pretty miserable out!

• Like 1

Posted

What a miserable day, heavy rain gusty winds and it is so dark! The lights and the log burner were called into service around 12pm. 

The plan for today was hill walking  

Plan B, will be feet up in front of the fire, couple of films and Staropramen beer  

20211204_133503.jpg

20211204_141324.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
12 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

A few wet snowflakes mixing in here. 2.0c currently, pretty miserable out!

Darnit I had hoped the heavy snow here over the last half hour had got me level with you at 2 days with snow falling but you are leading again in the Fife coast snow battle

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

A68 just before Fala, heading south the now.

image.thumb.png.69a4560772e6f417ef8b7458e6e71a3c.png

EDIT. Up soutra.

image.thumb.png.3996f8a377e3c3c67687ddd217d666e1.png

And heavy snaw here at fort SS too. Stairtin tae stick in the gairden tae.

EDIT again. Vid. Place turning white quick.

Edited by Scottish-Irish Skier
  • Like 7

Posted

0.8C now and the world outside has turned white. Time to take the dog down to the Tweed and brace against the slush!

• Like 8

Posted

Horrid day of torrential rain, lots of surface water/floods on the road into Aberdeen.

Generally light winds and current temp of 5c here in the city centre.

• Like 6

Posted

Total whiteoot here the now.

Coming on fir a couple ae cms already.

#unexpectedsnaw

#itsbeginningtaelookalotlikechristmas

EDIT on 4 cm here or so in just an hour

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I concur with @Quinachand @Sceptical, absolutely miserable day around here and not one for being outside. A low of 1.6C at 7am rose to a high of 4.1C now, with unrelenting rain between around 9am and 2pm. I've ventured as far as the chemist in Alford and there's water running down most of the roads and big puddles everywhere. Last of the lying snow is rapidly disappearing and not even noticed sleet in what has fallen today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and we'll be tempted to take the dog out and survey the state of the forest tracks further up the hill, which we haven't been out on since Arwen did his worst. 

• Like 7

Posted
On 30/11/2021 at 22:38, Quinach said:

Power still out here and in nearby Sauchen.  Friend in Kemnay asked SSEN today about the compensation and got told that they're not paying anything out....hah, good luck in keeping that story going...

Whole issue has brought out the best and worst in people.  Kirkwood Homes though should hold their heads in shame.  Their HQ facility is next to Sauchen (and are even building a controversial housing estate in the village).  They got power up and running yesterday morning via a generator but made no attempt at all to help people by supplying hot water etc - instead they put up a container offering firewood for sale at, shall we say, uncompetitive rates.  Hope the media get a hold of the story.

Driving round today its amazing how concentrated the damage is in areas, for example on the south side of the A944 at Tillfourie it's like a tornado hit, whilst other side of road is untouched.  Some amazing destruction at Pitfichie as well, can see photos of that on the Monymusk Facebook site.

As for weather, misty and murky interspersed with brief bursts of rain.  Calm, 6c.

That's absolutely shocking if true

there's supposedly a reporter coming to our neck of the woods and I suggested that instead of going to the areas still without power they go to the ones recently restored for the "Community effort" stories.. like our local Kemnay Cafe and Butcher taking themselves off to Alford and Monymusk once the most of Kemnay was restored.

I imagine our power will be unstable (Mobile is still very poor signal) for a time to come while the SSEN gradually properly reconnect the lines, not just emergency repairs

As for the compensation, the facebook groups seem to be latching onto the standard terms but if you do read further into them there is , of course there is!, a disclaimer, if it's not a planned outage then it depends on the category of the storm, as far as I can tell that makes the claim worth about £70 (as I imagine this "Arwen" storm will eventually be classed high especially for insurance purposes), and in short I'm glad I shoved my freezer food outside in the sub-zero temps after 24 hours as the excess on the claim for defrosted freezer meant  a claim for that would not be worth it, so "use it or lose it", or give it away cooked was my thinking. Fortunately by the time I had finished cooking  it (we have gas hob) the power had come back on so was able to get 2 freezers up and running to cope with extra frozen things.

we are going to have to try and make a claim for some of our trees as it does likely needs Forestry professionals? someone said earlier it's not just a friend with a chainsaw that is needed, although we already had to clear one tree using a "friend with a chainsaw" as it had falen across our access road blocking 2 households in.. the others are under some neighbours trees and  also crossing "Water Board" land so they do need cleared  relatively quickly for their access but because they're collapsed under other trees we also can't just go  chop them down and have the rest then collapsing fully causing further damage.. last thing we need is the water board not able to access their reservoir.

Anyhoo rant over again.. what's the scoop for Tuesday? (please no more wind!!)

• Like 9

Posted

Glad I got oot wi the camera earlier as it's aw turned tae pish noo. Wind picking up tae.

And while off topic, this is a nice we informative read for those who might need some translation skills beyond they pretty easy 'snaw / pish / hoolie'!

Ashley-Douglas-Scots.png
WWW.LANGUAGEREACH.COM

Do you know your language varieties from your languages? Your dipthongs from your monopthongs? The difference between code-switching and bilingualism?

I know the girl who went to Linlithgow two years ago... I ken the lassie that went tae Linlithgow two year ago... Ah ken the lassie that gaed tae Lithgae twa year syne

"Scottish social media is regularly greatly amused by examples of where this [translation into Scots or SSE) has not taken place, from John Lewis’ ‘Fud the Dragon’ (in Scotland: Vulva the Dragon) and ‘Mr Jobby’ the handyman (in Scotland: Mr Poo) – to the non-dairy company urging people to try out a brand of potato-based drink called ‘Dug Milk’ (in Scotland: dog milk)."

'Dug milk' . 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Today was a rainy day. And cold. It was a cold, rainy day. And dull. It was a dull, cold, rainy day. However, it was also the day that I could go and fetch my older daughter, who I haven’t seen since June, and who arrived last weekend from her home in Spain for Christmas, and had been isolating ever since at her mother’s. She and my younger daughter and I went to buy a Christmas tree, which we did, and then we got pished. It was a lovely, dull, cold rainy day.

Temperature high was 6.1⁰C at midnight falling to a minimum of 0.1⁰C at 08:48 and now 2.2⁰C, humidity is 88%, wind is 1 to 3mph north-northwesterly with a maximum gust of 11mph at 03:05, pressure is 1001.7hPa rocketing upwards currently, there’s been 13.6mm of rainfall today and 16.4mm in the last 24 hours and the dew point is at 1⁰C.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
9 hours ago, Sceptical said:

What a miserable day, heavy rain gusty winds and it is so dark! The lights and the log burner were called into service around 12pm. 

The plan for today was hill walking  

Plan B, will be feet up in front of the fire, couple of films and Staropramen beer  

20211204_133503.jpg

20211204_141324.jpg

Ooo, lovely house!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
Up in the cairngorms.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Always has to be one eejit calling oot the MR Norrance, eh?

• Like 5

Posted
7 hours ago, Benvironment said:

Ooo, lovely house!

Not this morning   

Central heating boiler went technical last night, waiting to hear back from a few recommended boiler engineers. 

A chilly day in store with temperatures expected to dip below freezing this evening. The wood burner is a life saver but it can only heat a small part of the house. Looking at next week's forecast  I need to get the boiler fixed/replaced ASAP.

I'm like King Midas in reverse, everything I touch turns to s**t.  

• Like 6

Posted
18 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Darnit I had hoped the heavy snow here over the last half hour had got me level with you at 2 days with snow falling but you are leading again in the Fife coast snow battle

I don’t think it will stay that way for long. But actually some winters I only see falling snow a couple of times all winter, with no lying snow at all, so this year is off to a good start!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

It’s a cracking morning; crisp, clear, calm and cold with only a moderate hangover. Bring on the day.

Temperature is currently the high of the day at 2.3⁰C up from a low of -3.0⁰C at 08:49, humidity is 87%, there isn’t a trace of wind, pressure is 1014.9hPa rising quickly, there’s been no rainfall today, cloud cover is 0/8 and the dew point is at 1⁰C.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1