Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I'd to go pick my son up from Insch about an hour ago and it was 1-2C there and back in heavy sleet and wet snow. Not really lying even at the highest point of the road but loads of surface water again. 

4 new all season tyres fitted to my new car earlier, I was always going to do it but the snow around storm Arwen convinced me the sooner the better as the summers on it were awful. After years of having a 4WD with all seasons it's going be interesting to see how I fare with a 2WD if its a snowy winter. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3

Posted

Daylight hours very useable with plenty of sunshine and calm conditions - cold though with a max of 3.3c.

Band of heavy rain arrived around 7pm, seems to have passed through now as only light drizzle outside now with light westerly winds.

Calm conditions allowing mist to form in sheltered spots close to the forest....

b.thumb.jpg.ef807fd625de60efaaa1defae8702171.jpg

And a very pleasant sunset....

a.thumb.jpg.dae55b0b1db042865595bd287b5fe1bb.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
On 09/12/2021 at 22:00, Ravelin said:

I'd to go pick my son up from Insch about an hour ago and it was 1-2C there and back in heavy sleet and wet snow. Not really lying even at the highest point of the road but loads of surface water again. 

4 new all season tyres fitted to my new car earlier, I was always going to do it but the snow around storm Arwen convinced me the sooner the better as the summers on it were awful. After years of having a 4WD with all seasons it's going be interesting to see how I fare with a 2WD if its a snowy winter. 

Let's hope we find out, might actually be better for those quick getaways from members Houses

Some decent model agreement on HP setting up as we head towards Xmas which should at the very least give us some coldish and frosty seasonal conditions that would suit many. 

A great post from our very own  @Kirkcaldy Weatherin the MT who is proving quite adept at seeing the future.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Early smattering of wet snow around dawn this morning giving a slight covering before frost set back in to give another very icy morning on the roads, frost only partly lifted  before setting in again later this afternoon. Cold calm and clear this evening for now.

• Like 3

Posted
On 10/12/2021 at 18:08, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Early smattering of wet snow around dawn this morning giving a slight covering before frost set back in to give another very icy morning on the roads, frost only partly lifted  before setting in again later this afternoon. Cold calm and clear this evening for now.

Yes rinse and repeat for the last few days here as well spells of rain followed by slight overnight ground frost which today under clear skies lasted all day in sheltered areas. Ground getting gradually wetter and wetter. 2c every morning for the last few days so a real seasonal feel.Seem the geese have left this area for pastures new maybe they sensed  Arwen coming and headed further south.

• Like 4

Posted

In many ways a perfect winters day - more of these please!

Sunny all day and cold with a max of 3c, frost being reluctant to leave in the morning and returning just before dusk; currently -0.9c.

Light winds throughout and another lovely glowing sunset.

Mentioning geese, they are definitely fewer in number but still a few skeins passing overhead each day.  A surprise though was to see a small group of fieldfares in one of the neighbouring fields, not a common sight these days.

346270841_tt(2)(Large).thumb.jpg.61c967836d19baab1cdb1170a49c00a2.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

Feeling seasonal!

A frosty,crisp, dry and calm start. Current temperature 0°C.

Sunrise incoming

20211211_080526.jpg

Snow still in place on the hills to the south west. These hills sit around the 480 meters asl.

20211211_080456.jpg

Waiting for daylight before tackling the roof gutters that are holding a ridiculous amount of debris after the recent stormy weather.  

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 7

Posted

1.3C according to the weather station just up the road and signs of a frost on the garden, but also what looks like a definite smattering of wet or refrozen snow. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning all! Incredibly mild here just now, temp currently 8.7c. Yesterday at this time it was barely 2c. A bit blustery too and set to be so for the rest of the day. Och well, at least it's not raining! ?️

• Like 6

Posted

Well one of the foulest days of this winter so far continuos moderate rain and fairly mild...... mood in the madhouse not great this afternoon, fluctuates with every run testing everyones  patience anger and winter is over.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, jellybaby1969 said:

mood in the madhouse not great this afternoon, fluctuates with every run testing everyones  patience anger and winter is over

Nothing much wrong with this.... 

ECH1-240.GIF?11-12

Or this..... 

gfsnh-0-240.png

OK so 6Z GFS isn't looking as good, but no point fixating on one run, especially when it is at the top of the pack 850s wise. 

• Like 6

Posted

Was pretty cold with the heavy rain earlier but that's cleared and the milder air is well and truly set in

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I’ve been confined to bed since Wednesday, I think, respiratorily challenged. Unstable even. It’s been a bit of a faff, really, and is the reason I haven’t been on here recently. Luckily, both my daughters are available and have been helping me to stay fed and watered. Even luckier, one of them is an ICU Charge Nurse, and she’s been consulting with my respiratory consultant regarding what we should be doing medically. Medically, apparently, the first thing to do is keep me out of hospital. This is for two reasons. First, it’s full and second, being there would likely be the end of me. The second thing to do, apparently, is to take as many different pills as can be lodged in my tum, which is wearisome. The third thing to do, and this at least gave me a right good belly-laugh, is to contact my GP and arrange some home visits. Ha!! I’d have a better chance of finding Lord Lucan and riding Shergar in the next National. Little Nurse Nazi offered briefly to see if she could get some drip stands to administer my meds intravenously but that was poo-pooed by the consultant. I think he remembers that my previous attitude to drips wasn’t entirely satisfactory.

Meanwhile I can’t get through to my home office to read the weather station outputs on my PC, but as I sit here with my laptop in bed I can confirm that today was a thoroughly depressing wash-out from beginning to end with constant rainfall and leaden grey skies. Not what the doctor ordered at all.

Intravenus Bru.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

@Puffy MacCloud Hope that you get sorted soon!
Miserable day here too. After a frosty start it has been cool and wet with a max of around 4C. 
Just saw ITV weather and was surprised to hear that "We are still in the cold air with a max of only 9 or10C".

Surely for a Scottish Winter 10C is warm or have I missed something?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Miserable day here too. After a frosty start it has been cool and wet with a max of around 4C. 
Just saw ITV weather and was surprised to hear that "We are still in the cold air with a max of only 9 or10C".

How about 15°C recorded on Christmas day in Aberdeen 2016. Hideous weather!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Get well soon @Puffy MacCloud

Wet, wet, wet here - "I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
On 11/12/2021 at 18:13, Norrance said:

Heard similar on UK forecast,  remember  forecasters in 60's and 70,s saying it will be a mild winters day at 8C (46F in old money)

• Like 1

Posted

Dry, calm and cloudy start. Temperature noted on the car display at 0630 was -2°C.

A few days of milder temperatures before colder conditions return on Thursday.

Decent!

• Like 1

Posted

@Puffy MacCloud I hope you feel better soon!

6c here this morning. Looks like high pressure will become established later in the coming week. Hopefully associated with clear skies, otherwise it can be a bit grey and dismal at this time of year!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN a couple of reasons why I'm a bit baffled, first as to why this isn't the next named storm especially given the wording of the current wind warning which to me should be an Amber and the yellow should cover all of mainland Scotland. The gusts had been concerning me a bit for @mistyqueen 

Screenshot_20211212-121852_Chrome.thumb.jpg.672a41e4227d3601e76c8ad56fc76855.jpgScreenshot_20211212-121917_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8ff06b81fd5c52bd95dc4e80e6467cd4.jpganimwxg8.gif nmmukgust.png

The ukv had a large area of whites right over the western Isles last couple of runs now develops that as it nears Shetland nmmukgust.png

Potentual is there for gusts of about 50mph in many areas of the mainland and 60mph and higher over at @mistyqueen

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Puffy you stay in bed and get better! Glad you have daughters near you.

Edited by mardatha
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 hours ago, Norrance said:

For me  mid dec to end of feb anything above 6c is mild and all double digits are extremely mild / warm !!

Posted

It's absolutely wild out there! Wind is from a more 'normal' direction and it's howling and whistling round the house! I'm genuinely surprised there's not a yellow but it's maybe simply not as bad as it sounds!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 6