Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Looking drier for Christmas Day but still a decent chance of a white Christmas for eastern parts of Scotland. The GFS 12z has the front reaching southern Scotland but much weaker than previous runs. ECM 12z has the front in southern England. It looks very likely we are heading for the coldest spell of weather in December since 2010. Potentially very cold - especially ECM 12z after Christmas. It’s looking mostly dry away from the the east coast but there’s always the chance of features coming out of nowhere brining the risk of more widespread snowfall. 

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 3

Posted

Murky day today, but had a cracking sunset this afternoon which makes up for the fact my whole house is now in isolation until the 26th.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
2 hours ago, Norrance said:

Haven't heard from Puffy today. Hope that he is ok and getting the treatment he needs.

I am, and I am, thank you kindly for asking Norrance.

Saw this a bit earlier. Alloway, which is where my ipad approximates my location, is right on the coast. Snowy beach walks! Whoop whoop!!

489824894_18Dec214.thumb.jpg.e6a010a706338bc9fd1d7b5494fc7ccc.jpg

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wee bro captured this earlier ???????:

image.thumb.png.b2c98095f3549d4c7305e312dede75b0.png

Loving the 12z ECM.

#greeniehigh

EDIT. Ensembles looking promising...

t850Aberdeenshire.png

Edited by Scottish-Irish Skier
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

wow @Puffy MacCloudyour a superstar and hopefully be on the mend......

an all to familiar tale these days. It pales into insignificance but last year amidst severe toothache i was advised they couldnt drill due to covid rules on NHS and my tooth would need to be removed.......but i could go private for treatment and save the tooth as that was allowed. So because i was fortunate enough to afford private my tooth was saved. Makes me angry to think of others not so lucky.

Charts looking fab as AWT has eloquently expained above, as someone near to the east starting to dream kids could see first white xmas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

GFS is very snowy for much of Scotland for Christmas Day. It stays cold until breaking down around 30/31 Dec with some leading edge of snow. 

ECM interestingly shows frontal snow on the 23rd Dec. Largely cold and dry until the 27th with frontal snow in southern Scotland. It remains cold to the end of the run. 

Christmas remains very uncertain with regards to where that front ends up. We should have a decent idea by Wednesday. 

It looks like staying cold until the 30th at least. It remains to be seen what the period between 25th-30th will offer in terms of weather conditions. Very cold and dry with some snow showers in coastal areas, or some disturbances in flow brining snow to wider areas or even convective snow from an easterly.  If it stays predominately dry then there should be opportunities for battleground snow if the Atlantic makes a return. 

Both GFS and ECM are a little disappointing in FI in terms of the strength of blocking to the north west compared to previous runs. This makes the longevity of cold less certain but it’s too far away to be concerned (models normally underestimate blocking in the long run). Even if heights weaken a little to the north west there’s still a strong possibility of recurring episodes of cold - potentially very snowy. It’s a high risk/high reward scenario and I believe some of the notable periods of winter weather in the past occurred with slight heights to the N/NW. A solid Greenland high is the best option but not the be and end all. 

• Like 3

Posted

Good morning guys...down in Essex this weekend  n it's grey foggy and damp !!  Madhouse getting a bit feisty this morning as the more northern members are rejoycing in what could be a snowy Xmas period !! Midlands south members TOTP ..oh well  such is life.  Models still chopping n changing tho it does look likely somewhere in the UK will have a white Xmas.

• Like 3

Posted

Dreich morning in downtown Falkirk this morning, but the fog in Callendar Park last night was very atmospheric, even if i spent most of the walk worrying about location of my dogs! 

PXL_20211219_002555121.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

A dark, gloomy start with 100% cloud cover. Currently 2°C, calm and feeling damp. My least favourite type of weather.

Optimistic ahead of the colder, and hopefully snowier weather for Scotland next week. 

Snow symbols now starting to appear in the Scottish forecast Friday and Saturday. For now, only locations with decent altitude. It's a start  

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Aye, 2.2C and no sign of the heavy frost having survived the night despite having lasted though the day yesterday. 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:

A dark, gloomy start with 100% cloud cover. Currently 2°C, calm and feeling damp. My least favourite type of weather.

Optimistic ahead of the colder, and hopefully snowier weather for Scotland next week. 

Snow symbols now starting to appear in the Scottish forecast Friday and Saturday. For now, only locations with decent altitude. It's a start  

Snow now expected at the ski centres Wednesday onwards. I'm up Aviemore on Wednesday. The journey over the Lecht might be that bit more enjoyable  

• Like 3

Posted

Fog lifted into low cloud still can't get the sun though...........now if you believe these model runs snaw xmas day

• Like 2

Posted

Good morning all you free-roamers out there. It’s a foggy looking day from where I’m sitting and I can see frost on the ground, or maybe a heavy dew, so it looks cold and even in here it feels cold, especially when one is wearing one of those ridiculous goonies where your bahoochie hings oot the back. Why do they make you wear those? For fun I suppose. No sign of the fog lifting any time soon. BBC weather app has given up on snow for Christmas at this location but it’s been replaced with cold temperatures and sunny skies, which is absolutely the next best thing.

• Like 4

Posted

Possible White Christmas for Scotland. 

Fotoliafrost.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

The quiet, calm but often cloudy and murky weather continues but as high pressure begins to ease away in the run-up to Christmas, changes are on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Stay out the mad house... its about to turn nasty.. all the snaw is going to end up in the North.. and Scotland.. does boil my pee when they all put up snaw charts with Scotland cropped off. If the 12z continues i fear for the health of 90% of them.

@Puffy MacCloud hope you continue to get better and well done for making sure you got yourself seen..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

Stay out the mad house... its about to turn nasty.. all the snaw is going to end up in the North.. and Scotland.. does boil my pee when they all put up snaw charts with Scotland cropped off. If the 12z continues i fear for the health of 90% of them.

@Puffy MacCloud hope you continue to get better and well done for making sure you got yourself seen..

Looked at the 6Z GFS and decided it was safer to avoid the MOD thread for a bit. I know what you mean about those charts, although I'm sure if they could find charts showing just Birmingham and South they use those instead. I gave in this morning and felt compelled to point out that they may not get snow along the English south coast much but they do benefit from better weather in the summer. Its a trade off. 

If we do have a white Xmas up here I think we should photo bomb the MOD thread. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted
14 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Looked at the 6Z GFS and decided it was safer to avoid the MOD thread for a bit. I know what you mean about those charts, although I'm sure if they could find charts showing just Birmingham and South they use those instead. I gave in this morning and felt compelled to point out that they may not get snow along the English south coast much but they do benefit from better weather in the summer. Its a trade off. 

You mean you went in there armed with nothing but logic and fair-minded compromise?! Wow! The sheer, mad-cap bravery of the man.

The sun is breaking through the fog now giving that gorgeous quality of light that makes everything look slightly soft and hazy, as if one is looking through very lightly obscured glass. Oh no, hang on a minute, I’m havering again. I am looking through lightly obscured glass. Kindly unread this last bit.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
37 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Well said! 

I think us in Scotland will be delighted if the 06z was to come off, many of us would see a white Christmas. I am 36 but can only remember 2010 seeing snow on the ground on the big day here in the Southside of Glasgow. Maybe there was in the 90s but I can’t remember? I have trouble remembering last week never mind 20-30 years ago

Hopefully the 12z runs continue showing snow for us for Christmas Day. After the last couple of years of covid taking over our lives then I think it would cheer many of us up waking up to a white Christmas. I do hope the roads stay clear though for people travelling to see family and friends

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 hour ago, Ravelin said:

I did see that post... we put up with grey damp summers while they sip cocktails...

And yep im all up for some spamming action over the holiday period.. not been on a ban in almost 2 years..

• Like 4

Posted

Afternoon Fellow Jocks - did someone mention snow?  For Christmas?

Think I might hang around for a bit - SACRA mode activated.

• Like 3

Posted

Just back from walking the dog and although currently 3.2C and utterly calm it's perishing out there in full damp feeling Aberdeenshire permagloom. Such a contrast to yesterday. 

• Like 3