Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Came home from Aberdeen an hour ago, the main roads had obviously been well treated as they were fine but the side roads are pretty slippy. Minus 1.5 and drizzle with the pickup also completely covered in quite a thick coating of ice. 

IMG_20211222_183614.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!
2 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Sub zero temperatures, and it's raining.  

I'm in Alford tomorrow to fit a towbar.. I hope he's got a garage!

• Like 2

Posted

Well after the terrible ribs esrly this morning we have seen somewhat of a recovery today - especially UKMO 12z and GFS 18z. The uncertainty at such close range is unprecedented so tomorrow we should hopefully sed more consensus. It still looks likely that Christmas will be cold with a chance of some snow in the east and it looks like staying cold until the 29th. The GFS 18z has a battleground snowfall around the 29th before mild air arrived from the south west.

It looks like high pressure in Iberia will be a bit of a pain but and will probably bring a spell of mild weather around New Year but it’s cold air not too far away and some heights still persisting to the north west we could still find ourselves on the margins of colder air (a potentially high risk/high reward set up for snow). It’s possible that high pressure to our south could develop in a Scandinavian high so there are still opportunities going forward but despite some cold weather over the festive period it’s looks like this December won’t be much better for snow than the previous 10. We’ve still got two months+ of winter and in the past decade most of our snow opportunities have been from mid Jan onwards.

Before today’s downgrades even yesterday’s charts were underwhelming after the promising charts of previous days. Despite achieving heights to out north west and having uppers below -5C for several days the set up not as conducive for snowfall as we would have hoped with the best chance of widespread snow during the breakdown (which is still the case). The best set up is stronger heights in Scandinavia, Greenland/Iceland with colder uppers to spreading south and west and lower heights to the south and east of the block. This would increase the chances of disturbances and convection bringing more better opportunities.

I’m no expert about reading charts and but it seems to me the set up of having a wedge of high pressure to the north can be very rewarding but more often than not is incredibly risky. If the set up is right you can probably get some decent snowfalls from the fronts or easterly winds but there’s the risk of being too far north (dry) or south (marginal/wet). I think the last occasion we had a similar set up was January 2013 which did produce a two week cold spell but I recall much of Scotland missing out on a lot of the main snowfalls and much of the snow that fell in the Glasgow area was too wet to settle - a very frustrating spell. Hopefully we see some incremental improvements of the length and depth of the cold spell and we get some chances of decent snowfalls. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Another gloomy day. 

1°c and wet.

Forecast  for heavier rain 4pm onwards.

Thankful my rear is parked in front of a roaring fire and not working outside. 

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
25 minutes ago, 101_North said:

The weather today would suck the festive joy out of anyone

is this a little teaser of the Christmas day game with Mrs 101  

• Thanks 1

Posted

If it not been grey this week it been rain or drizzle. Hardly inspiring but a cold rain/drizzle exciting stuff

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Just been down into Alford for a haircut and a walk with the dog. 1C here when I left, 0C down in Alford, grey, misty and light rain all around. Slightly warmer here up the hill now at 2.4C.

Haughton Park where I walked the dog was a right mixture of frozen ground, puddles, mud and stealth ice. Made it around without needing a Xmas trip to A&E, and now I don't have to move again all day, woohoo. 

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

is this a little teaser of the Christmas day game with Mrs 101  

I can try but I suspect I'll end up playing by myself again 

• Like 3

Posted

Constant heavy drizzle, calm conditions and 4c.

Dreich to summarise in one word.

• Like 3

Posted

Headline from Netweathers latest forecast.

Unsettled and mild Christmas for many, but Scotland staying cold & bright.

Everything crossed! 

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted

Dreich here too, temperature now up to 5.5c in Pittenweem. At this point seeing the sun would be the best Christmas present! ☺️

• Like 2

Posted

Well I can tell you its a very raw cold winters day with low cloud mist drizzle and 3c maximum temperature because for the second time this week we were snedding turnips for the local farm shop which seems to be doing a roaring trade in vegetables for soup.The neeps today will be much sweeter with the hard frost they had yesterday but its a  finger numbing job pulling and snedding them .Whole family turned out to help this morning .Many hands make light work. Thats just about half a tonne of neeps off this week.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Heavy cold rain here after a pretty miserable day. Did hit 5C this afternoon for the first time since last Thursday night. Has turned to snow now at altitude. Here is the Glenshee camera justSouth of the ski centre.

A4BDE3DB-0556-4164-98FB-914B0AB706B4.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted

Had to re educate the English today thinking that we all live in a winter wonderland...no idea of our geography or population spread. We in coastal Ayrshire are as snow starved as Cornwall.  I am also English !!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
33 minutes ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Had to re educate the English today thinking that we all live in a winter wonderland...no idea of our geography or population spread. We in coastal Ayrshire are as snow starved as Cornwall.  I am also English !!

I'm Cornish

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Norrance said:

Heavy cold rain here after a pretty miserable day. Did hit 5C this afternoon for the first time since last Thursday night. Has turned to snow now at altitude. Here is the Glenshee camera justSouth of the ski centre.

A4BDE3DB-0556-4164-98FB-914B0AB706B4.jpeg

Just been looking at that and the radar, hopefully the Lecht might get enough to get some of the main runs going as there was something of a base left on the main runs that were open earlier in the month. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Came home via Glenshee today and was a bit disappointed.  Very little snow and 2 degrees. Ground was frozen in Alford this morning and 0 degrees. Got out my van and slipped on my ****.. 

20211223_151934.thumb.jpg.3d6ca22e4c89383500def2b95dcf2b26.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
20 hours ago, 101_North said:

The weather today would suck the festive joy out of anyone! 

Guinness has helped me get through this troubling time weather wise.

• Like 2

Posted

A better start to the day! 

No sign of the fog and mist that's made the last 5 day's so miserable. The ridge lines of the surrounding hills, even though it's still dark, are visible.

Currently 2.5°C, dry with a chilly northerly wind. In addition, the air feels much drier than of late.

If the Met Office are correct, the next couple of day's look excellent. 

Screenshot_20211224-074025_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 4