Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

We have been lucky up here another stunning clear frozen day with hard frost lasting all day, fog retreated to the valley below for a time but is now marching back up the hill with temperature at -2 and dead calm. If you look carefully you can see Ben Klibreck snowy dome above the forest.

1805766718_DSC_1216(2).thumb.JPG.9779720e7d399d8f15fc79458fa63470.JPG

1882174681_DSC_1220(1).thumb.JPG.551fbf77c08b1cb7cf0f2897ab5e6a97.JPG

1835308896_DSC_1221(1).thumb.JPG.fa5a34cbc6f8895522f7833bcb210675.JPG

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Very pleasant in the sun today in Glasgow, while it shone. Was back to grey gloom in the afternoon.

Depressingly mild stuff coming up which usually means dreich murk at this time of year. It’s good if winter actually feels like wi yet, although we all know nature doesn’t always pay attention to the calendar.

• Like 7

Posted

Quite a gloomy day max of 6.2°C. Late afternoon walk up to 400m, turn a corner in the forest and it's clearing from the north. Pretty. 

PXL_20211228_153017661.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A high of 4C early to mid afternoon and with the early  Permagloom breaking up to sunny spells it felt decent enough to tempt me into the garden and garage for a bit of tidying up. Dropped back to -1.1C now so maybe a frost tomorrow morning. 

• Like 3

Posted

Day started ominously with Permagloom™ locked in place.

However, a clearance by lunchtime to a cracking sunny afternoon.

Max of 4c, calm conditions and fog eager to form at dusk; that has dissipated but temperatures a frigid -4.1c currently.

Fog/Mist clinging to some of the surrounding hills all day...

155019021_mist(Large).thumb.jpg.ee73771086bdda196341c66106ce34e9.jpg

Very nice sunset though...

361305789_sunseta(Large).thumb.jpg.a252e54b9c4dec751ec65f17ef5456fd.jpg

And an interesting juxtaposition of clouds whose form seem to indicate radically different wind directions at different heights - plane contrails quite noticeable today...

775841062_plane(Large).thumb.jpg.4ea8da14c43fadd7218a984ae80752db.jpg

• Like 7

Posted

No end to this weather misery! 5c and pishing down! Just awful! Went for a walk up the damp and misty Pentlands yesterday and could have cried looking over to Fife and seeing it bathed in sunshine! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Same here 101, not even a glimpse of the sun . Nowt. And same again this morning, wetwetwet.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Hard to tell what kind of day it is because it’s still dark. 09:45 and still flipping dark. Not dull. Dark. However, I’ve sent the little black weather sensor out to do a check and it’s come back wet underneath, wet on top, not particularly cold and somewhat windswept, if not interesting. I can see that the front windows are also wet, meaning that there’s an easterly component to the wind, and I can see little else, which means the overcast cloud is thick and dense. Hang on, the weather sensor wants back inside; you can work the rest out for yourselves.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Chance of something more seasonal next week?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just looked out the window properly for the first time. It’s like the sun hasn’t risen!

• Like 3

Posted

Up at Muir of Ord for a wee holiday. Drive up yesterday was stunning with clear skies, snowy hills and the occasional fog patch. Much colder up here than in Fife with a frost again this morning. Rain has just started so everything slippy underfoot.

• Like 3

Posted

As with other northern based posters we’ve been fortunate to have plenty clear and cold days lately. According to Highland Weather it’s 21 frosts for our location this month. Yesterday maxed at -2c and -6c by tea time. All change today though, +3.1c with drizzle on to frozen surfaces in the morning. Pretty dire stuff. 

We’re currently self isolating. Watching plenty things set in the snow to enjoy it vicariously. Hopefully the real stuff will arrive with potency soon. Stay safe peeps

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Since the weather is a wee bit uneventful from snow/cold perspective took a wee trip back to regional forum for this time last year into January. Didn't realise just how good a winter we had up here last year and then was reminded further by photos that popped up on my phone showing Queens Park and Pollok Park  frozen over for good number of days (how could I forget!). Few people in the mad house recently said how poor winter was last year and to be fair maybe was for down there but certainly not up in Écosse-land. 

• Like 6

Posted

Not a nice day at all. Heavy rain this morning gave way to drizzly pish that's eased and now it's mild blah

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Similar here with heavy rain that has now died out. Not exactly vey mild though at 6C but rising.

Now looking more like a mild blip with colder air moving down from the North next week at least for a while.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
15 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

. Few people in the mad house recently said how poor winter was last year and to be fair maybe was for down there but certainly not up in Écosse-land. 

Oh no, if it was a poor winter in the South of England it was a poor winter everywhere. 

In reality in NE Scotland we had snow lying for weeks and at depths probably only beaten by 2010. It was a really good winter last year and I was often glad we were in lock down for most of it so I didn't have to try to get to work every day, as sometime I doubt I'd have managed to. I think the Alps also got tons of snow, but since I wasn't allowed to go skiing there I generally avoided checking the resorts as it'd just have made me depressed. 

Overnight temperature here was -2C up until around 5am then started it's slow climb and has reached 7.6C currently. We managed to get out and walk the dog before it started raining around 11:30am. It was heavy at times but not as bad as I'd expected and had largely stopped by mid afternoon. 

Although it's not at all seasonal or what I'd rather have, but quite looking forward to a bright and sunny mild day tomorrow. 

• Like 9

Posted
27 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Oh no, if it was a poor winter in the South of England it was a poor winter everywhere. 

In reality in NE Scotland we had snow lying for weeks and at depths probably only beaten by 2010. It was a really good winter last year and I was often glad we were in lock down for most of it so I didn't have to try to get to work every day, as sometime I doubt I'd have managed to. I think the Alps also got tons of snow, but since I wasn't allowed to go skiing there I generally avoided checking the resorts as it'd just have made me depressed. 

Overnight temperature here was -2C up until around 5am then started it's slow climb and has reached 7.6C currently. We managed to get out and walk the dog before it started raining around 11:30am. It was heavy at times but not as bad as I'd expected and had largely stopped by mid afternoon. 

Although it's not at all seasonal or what I'd rather have, but quite looking forward to a bright and sunny mild day tomorrow. 

To be followed by   a very cool April and   May(Wet Also) whiched shortened the growing season for neeps and most garden veg except for cabbage and sprouts. Parsnips which had to be resown willl be all used up just after New Year when they normally last till early March

• Like 6

Posted

0.0°C in the early hours so no air frost but a good 4°C lower than forecast. 

Double digits this afternoon after the rain. Was over by @mardatha's gaff. Up to the Waterloo monument by Ancrum:

PXL_20211229_144621383.jpg

PXL_20211229_144400390.jpg

Dry by the time we set off from the Visitor Centre and bloody windy at the top! 

• Like 6