Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

9°c, dry and calm to start the day. Daylight beginning to crack over the hills. Sky looks clear, no sign of any fog, could be a decent day.

• Like 1

Posted

13c at 8am  

Looks like a dry and sunny day coming up so better get out and make the best of it as tomorrow looks hideous again!

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted

Looking possible, but unlikely, that the two year old UK December maximum temperature may be exceeded in the next few days

18.7 deg recorded at Achfary in Sutherland would take some beating, and the conditions which led to it are rarely replicated.

• Like 2

Posted

Currently 11°c but feeling cooler thanks to the brisk westerly winds. A bright day has presented an opportunity to air the house ahead of colder temperatures setting in later today. Pretty much every window in the house is open....every cloud has a silver lining.

20211230_103832.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Husband's been up that monument Shuggee, pity yesterday was so dull though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Oh, so that was the monument? I assumed it was the @mardatha house. I wondered how she got her hands on such a magnificent erection.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

It's not even an interesting erection. Some boring bigwig built it to his ancestor who was in the battle of Waterloo or something like that. Not even a proper Scots battle

We seem to have a Flood Warning out here - tell me kilties if heavy rain is likely ? We've got the hospital (yet again!) in the morning and the hubby isnt up to coping with any difficult driving conditions.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
1 hour ago, mardatha said:

We seem to have a Flood Warning out here - tell me kilties if heavy rain is likely ? We've got the hospital (yet again!) in the morning and the hubby isnt up to coping with any difficult driving conditions.

At least 20-30mm for a lot of us and possibly closer to 40mm in your neck of the woods nmm_uk1-25-34-0.thumb.png.db039d54e70fc497a24bd3c64e9800da.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Same here at 6C after a high of 11.5C yesterday, but with layers of high cloud yesterday largely restricting the low sun to vieled glimpses. Still a decent enough day and nice to walk the dog without needing a hat and gloves, but muddier under foot for the same reason. 

Looking ahead there's nothing particularly interesting being signposted. After another relatively mild day tomorrow max temps dropping back to mid single figures with the potential of it being cold enough for some snow flurries around the 4th/5th, just in time for me going back to work. Looking like it could be quite windy around the 7th too. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted

If yesterday had occurred in late October/early November I’d have been okay with it but to have 13.7c on Deeside on the penultimate day of the year? The establishment I met friends at to have lunch even had to lower blinds for diners as the low sun, though watery, was blinding them. 

This mild weather is doing my head in, like the rest of you I am more than ready for proper winter weather. I can see why those in the madhoose get a bit tetchy at this time of year.

Currently 5.9c and dry.

• Like 3

Posted

What a surprise waking up to more weather misery! The last few weeks of 2021 have been awful! Good riddance

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Good morning Kilties from a very mild and calm Isle of Skye! Last walk of the year today to blow away the cobwebs and air my drink sodden head caused by starting Noo Year early when the family arrived. So early bed tonight then so I'll be fresh for tomorrow's walk and hopefully a catch up with friends. Have a great Noo Year all and may the weather gods bring all you wish for in 2022!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Photos are from a year ago. Today isn't like that at all. Not at all. It's grey, dull, damp and warm. Almost stuffy inside so I've opened windows all over the cottage. Fresh air festiveness!

20201231_121108.jpg

20201231_111611.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Front that appeared to coming up from the south disintegrated to the south and sky cleared  with temperature falling to 4c and some ice forming on puddles next to north facing wood  at around 10.00am so back to seasonal weater.

• Like 6

Posted

Some very brief glimpses of sunshine today!

Finally took a look at some photos I took on a walk in the hills north of Peebles on Monday. This represents about 75% of the sunshine that I’ve seen in the last couple of weeks, I think. Even then, you can see the progression from sunshine to mist!

EC706CFC-237A-45A2-9402-69B742A675A1.thumb.jpeg.a19d7f42820e3836ace5dae4c9072fe2.jpeg

E2F9DBE1-8A9E-4869-9AB7-A3ECC2341714.thumb.jpeg.04073e34f2b3138c594b6f4161ea75d8.jpeg

D50FA29A-A4CF-4A48-BAD2-435C48227EF2.thumb.jpeg.b9b2049f17f7c497a0af9147118d75bb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

My new high-capacity oxygen line arrived at lunchtime and so I’ve made it through to my study for the first time since the 7th of December, which is nice. It means that I can provide some science-based, rather than just observational, weather data at long last. I may even scroll through the menus on my weather station console to note the data for the month, if I can remember how. Of course, I wouldn’t have to do that if the data logger thingy I got with the console had actually worked, rather than refusing to be recognised on my PC, then turning a deaf ear to my shouted instructions, and then exploding as it accidentally hit the study wall at 90mph, but there you go.

Today the temperature now is the high so far at 11.9⁰C up from a low of 9.6⁰C at 02:16, humidity is 85%, wind is 4 to 12mph southerly with a maximum gust of 19mph at 10:39, pressure is 1007.0hPa rocketing upwards, there’s been 4.8mm of rain today (mostly before sunrise,) and 6.6mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8 and the dew point is at 9⁰C, so snow unlikely I would guess.

December highs – temperature 12.2⁰C, humidity 97%, wind 25mph, pressure 1041.4hPa, rainfall total 112.6mm.

December lows – temperature -3.6⁰C, humidity 72%, pressure 964.5hPa, dew point -6⁰C.

Yearly highs – temperature 28.2⁰C, humidity 97%, wind 29mph, pressure 1042.8hPa, total rainfall 1201.6mm.

Yearly lows – temperature -9.7⁰C, humidity 28%, pressure 964.5hPa, dew point -11⁰C.

(All the above according to Diablo, so care advised.)

• Like 8

Posted

Grey and very wet day. Rain thankfully eased of now, bit car reading 12c at 3pm

Was out train spotting earlier and caught the cross country from Glasgow Central to CarlisleFB_IMG_1640954573177.thumb.jpg.b450975f749b0d2e9d3c501876388968.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
8 hours ago, 101_North said:

What a surprise waking up to more weather misery! The last few weeks of 2021 have been awful! Good riddance

It really has been dire. Yesterday there was a bit of sunshine in the Lomonds.....but other than that, there's been nothing for two weeks. We were fortunate two weeks ago to be above the cloud on the Saturday, but for most other people in Fife and West Lothian (where I work) they were still below the murk, so for them it's been even longer without sunshine. I genuinely can't recall a greyer, drizzlier, foggier, soggier spell of weather as we're currently experiencing. January 2013 springs to mind as being similar for overbearing greyness. Worst run of weather in years! (and that's saying something!!)

So.....erm.....Happy new year I guess ! 

PS - pretty sure  I heard on the radio on the way home just now that it has been the 'dreariest December' in 65 years. Not entirely sure the newsreader was referring exclusively to the weather tbh   

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 5