Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Aye I’ve given up on that thread now. Winters done because it might rain next week in Wiltshire.

Any scope for a Scottish model thread in this here group of ours?

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
Just now, Glaswegianblizzard said:

And e I’ve given up on that thread now. Winters done because it might rain next week in Wiltshire.

Oh don't worry, if the 12Zs suggest snow they'll be back to "BOOM" mode. We shouldnt call it the mad thread, we should call it the schizo thread. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
6 hours ago, decomm18 said:

Dreich morning in downtown Falkirk this morning, but the fog in Callendar Park last night was very atmospheric, even if i spent most of the walk worrying about location of my dogs! 

PXL_20211219_002555121.jpg

Love that photo of Callendar House, very Gothic. 

@Puffy MacCloudglad you're getting treated, keep up the posts

We've hauled the kids out of school early and are anxiously watching Covid updates, keeping fingers crossed nothing stops us traveling to Cornwall on Wednesday. My mum's 92 and had an awful Xmas on her own last year, I'd be gutted if we couldn't go down to spend it with her this year. Mr Snowidea keeps hinting at a boxing day swim, hmm not sure St Ives is ready to see my greatly expanded lockdown body

I'll be jealously watching the thread on Xmas day, hoping for some white stuff for you all. We'll definitely get white stuff but it'll be salt as St Ives is blessed with many beaches. 

FB_IMG_1639928170777.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Wild days indeed in that MOD thread, think even few down south are now getting fed up with it judging by few comments this afternoon. Either way the runs continue to roll out and one thing consistent is for Scotland to be remain cold and potentially quite snowy. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Looked at the 6Z GFS and decided it was safer to avoid the MOD thread for a bit. I know what you mean about those charts, although I'm sure if they could find charts showing just Birmingham and South they use those instead. I gave in this morning and felt compelled to point out that they may not get snow along the English south coast much but they do benefit from better weather in the summer. Its a trade off. 

If we do have a white Xmas up here I think we should photo bomb the MOD thread. 

Maybe not wise to add that we are 5 to 600 miles nearer the Arctic Circle than they are and so will always have the advantage when it comes to snow for up to 8 months of the year. Fog lifted today but remained cloudy although could see a clearance to the far north at sunset .  Currently 3.5c although it was up to 5c in mid afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

After looking in the model discussion thread today:

the-simpsons-bart-simpson.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Awww go on thennnn, geez the GFS

Screenshot_20211219_173742_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.314abeb357d3349618654e006a806b99.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Plenty of time to watch the snow as we're now officially in isolation until well after christmas.

PCR results just in and the scores on the door are kids positive, adults negative.

So, they're off into isolation to conduct video calls with their fellow inmates whilst its a waiting game for us to see if the lateral flows dish up the ominous double line bonanza.

Looks like literally the whole school has come down with Covid over a period of just 4 days - email sent out informing that so far 67% of the kids that attended on Friday have reported positive via PCR/lateral flow.   That is not including the 25% who were absent on that day already.

As for weather, matching the kids mood.  Grey, gloomy and depressing with a max of 4.0c and light winds.

Edit - They've now formally closed the school for the rest of term.  Better late than ever I suppose!

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
2 minutes ago, Quinach said:

PCR results just in and the scores on the door are kids positive, adults negative

Same happened in our household a couple of weeks ago. Stuck the two kids in the same room to keep each other company for 10 days. Me and the wife remained negative and the kids are now back at school. Thank god for iPads, TVs and laptops. The schools are rife with the virus at the moment.

Hopefully 2022 sees an end to all this!

• Like 3

Posted

@QuinachWow, that's incredible. Son said that Kemnay Academy is shut to S4-6 for the last 2 days of term. Of course, the older siblings from Sauchen will normally attend Alford Academy, where my son goes.

Onto weather, and I'll take this too... 

Screenshot_20211219-182038.thumb.png.75b4c3c28e5ca468f8a3019debab816a.png

• Like 4

Posted
28 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Plenty of time to watch the snow as we're now officially in isolation until well after christmas.

PCR results just in and the scores on the door are kids positive, adults negative.

So, they're off into isolation to conduct video calls with their fellow inmates whilst its a waiting game for us to see if the lateral flows dish up the ominous double line bonanza.

Looks like literally the whole school has come down with Covid over a period of just 4 days - email sent out informing that so far 67% of the kids that attended on Friday have reported positive via PCR/lateral flow.   That is not including the 25% who were absent on that day already.

As for weather, matching the kids mood.  Grey, gloomy and depressing with a max of 4.0c and light winds.

Edit - They've now formally closed the school for the rest of term.  Better late than ever I suppose!

My PCR came back as negative. However, I still have symptoms indicative of Covid-19. Lethargy, running slightly hot, short periods of breathlessness etc. As a result I've decided not to return to work tomorrow and focus on getting myself well again.

So....if you need groceries sorted out I can help. I'm usually at Tescos twice a week.

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

I hope you don't mind this exile joining and leaving the Southern England model thread behind for now.

Not at all MS. There's also a Scottish perspective model thread that you might find interesting.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Back below freezing again and that fog is thicker than a trumpeter's lips. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 hours ago, Sceptical said:

My PCR came back as negative. However, I still have symptoms indicative of Covid-19. Lethargy, running slightly hot, short periods of breathlessness etc. As a result I've decided not to return to work tomorrow and focus on getting myself well again.

So....if you need groceries sorted out I can help. I'm usually at Tescos twice a week.

Many thanks for the offer of help.  Other half seems to have bought the whole of Costco etc going by the stash now in the garage so we should be good for the duration.  Fingers crossed there are no new positive results as not looking forward to the isolation clock being reset for another 10 days.  Kids mutinous already and this is only day two.

Fog has returned outside but this time not of a freezing kind as the temperature is hovering around 4c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

We pulled our kids out of school on thursday... apparently kids on the school bus are coughing in other kids faces and saying ha ha you've got covid...ive just had my booster so hopefully that will stop anything bad happening for me.. but ive now got 3 kids one of them autistic convinced that our xmas will be ruined again by this virus..

Dont go into the mad house its all doom and gloom as that lot in that Londonshire aint getting no snaw while we steal it all from them...

• Like 7

Posted

An epic 00z GFS run for Christmas day for eastern Scotland with the -10c 850s encroaching in. But ironically, the ECM, which has been more cold biased in recent days compared to the GFS, now shows a big downgrade on the cold ! There must still be some uncertainty and I'm not yet convinced we'll see snow on the big day but best to keep hopes in check !

• Like 7

Posted
8 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Dont go into the mad house its all doom and gloom as that lot in that Londonshire aint getting no snaw while we steal it all from them...

Kinda quiet in there today, talk of a possible turnaround, Easterly Blizzards, some nonsense about Cobra meetings.  Comedy gold  

• Like 5

Posted

The high for the day so far here is 3.5C around midnight, with the current temp being 2C. Calm again with a sheet of grey cloud and a bit of mist still sitting in the valley. Probably another day of Aberdeenshire Permagloom in store, but not quite as bad as yesterday at this stage.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Yeah have to say I’m getting a worse and worse feeling about this as time goes on. A few days ago the Norwegian met were showing Ice days here later this week, now 10c for this Thursday which is a crazy turnaround. I’m presuming that low in the Atlantic is coming for a visit.

It does still want to put us in the freezer, a high of -4 on the Monday after Xmas, but the way it’s being shoved back all the time doesn’t give me hope. Maybe it’s all just models and their struggle with a battleground scenario.

• Like 4

Posted

Models are struggling...more runs needed..mild is the form horse..Atlantic always wins out..everything is 10 days away.. Always north of the M4 corridor..just a few of the madhouse cliches. In all seriousness the output for the big day is not looking great.

• Like 1