Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

GFS 00z shows a shift north for Christmas but still showing a white Christmas for many - though we can’t afford another shift northwards. A very good run 28th December onwards. 

The ECM on the other hand shows a southward shift which has raised the spirits of members south of the border in the model thread. Still showing a white Christmas for much of Scotland away from the south west with estimated depths generally in the range of 2-5cm. The main snow risk for Christmas in the Midlands. The easterly also returns from the 24th-26th. It remains cold and blocked to the end of the run with the potential fur very low temperatures with slack heights during day 9/10. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Following on from above, and so you don't have to suffer the gnashing of teeth in the MOD thread due to the models not showing snow drifts on the S coast of England... 

graphe3_10000___2.7397_57.265_.gif

Can't complain about that set of potential 850 temps for NE Scotland. Even if it doesn't snow its going to be festively cold. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 6

Posted
29 minutes ago, drm said:

Mistake or a huge temperature inversion? 14c in the mountains and - 4c here in Aberdeen. 

Screenshot_20211218_071509_com.meteociel.fr.jpg

The latter. Alex Deakin made mention of the inversion during the latest MO 10 day trend.

I've been watching day time temperatures for various locations across the UK. According to the Met , Wednesday looks the coldest day next week before temperatures pick up Thursday and Friday.

Not sure I buy that  

• Like 1

Posted

Gone from 0c clear and frosty last night to foggy and 1c this morning. Will test the pneumonia vaccines the calves got three weeks ago.

• Like 2

Posted

Now that I've been up and opened the curtains, there's a fairly thick frost outside, no doubt enhanced by the mist drifting up from the very foggy looking valley below. 

Edited by Ravelin

Posted
1 hour ago, drm said:

Mistake or a huge temperature inversion? 14c in the mountains and - 4c here in Aberdeen. 

Screenshot_20211218_071509_com.meteociel.fr.jpg

Yep impressive inversion this morning, -6c in Aboyne and +14c at the Cairnwell! 

4c and foggy here.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 3

Posted

Once this clears, a sunny day until dusk.

20211218_083637.jpg

Anyway, PCR time...the Christmas break might start a few days earlier  

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, A Winter's Tale said:

GFS 00z shows a shift north for Christmas but still showing a white Christmas for many - though we can’t afford another shift northwards. A very good run 28th December onwards. 

The ECM on the other hand shows a southward shift which has raised the spirits of members south of the border in the model thread. Still showing a white Christmas for much of Scotland away from the south west with estimated depths generally in the range of 2-5cm. The main snow risk for Christmas in the Midlands. The easterly also returns from the 24th-26th. It remains cold and blocked to the end of the run with the potential fur very low temperatures with slack heights during day 9/10. 

in this clearly complex scenario how close do you think it needs to be to Dec25 before we have an actual clear idea what's likely to be happening? 72 or 48 or even 24. I don't mean where will snow if at all but rather how far north/south everything is. 

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, edo said:

in this clearly complex scenario how close do you think it needs to be to Dec25 before we have an actual clear idea what's likely to be happening? 72 or 48 or even 24. I don't mean where will snow if at all but rather how far north/south everything is. 

I’m no expert but I’d say we should have a decent grasp of the general situation at 72-96hrs. Of course with snow it’s often a nowcasting event. I think early next week we’ll have a decent idea of where any frontal snowfall will be.

Given we are already seeing low pressure moving south (as expected) I think much of the potential frontal snowfall will end up somewhere between Manchester and the English Channel - possibly further south than that if the trend continues.

As for Scotland we would likely be looking out for snow showers (most likely from the east). It’s uncertain whether we’d end up with proper convective snowfall or just flurries. Regardless, if the atmosphere is cold enough for snow there’s always the chance of surprises popping up at short notice (as was the case in late November). 

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 6

Posted

Fog descended last night and not shifted. Pretty cold too but IF (big IF) some of the models are correct we be deep in the freezer soon enough...............

• Like 4

Posted

High of 1.9C here so far today but frost in shaded areas is not going to thaw, even in areas exposed to the sun its reluctant to disappear. Currently 1.5C so maybe on its way back down again, especially as the sun is getting very low again. Been a stunning winters day. 

• Like 6

Posted

Stunning winters day and not a cloud in the sky. Frost persisted in the shade and also pretty foggy overnight. 

First day back at home after 6 days in Crosshouse Hospital with Covid. Double vaccinated and only 42 so certainly didn’t expect to find myself with such a bad dose. Hoping for some crisp winter weather as I slowly recover. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Been sunny and lovely here last two days, sun just gone down behind the hill now. Pic taken yesterday morning.

OOR STREET.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Another cold night in store, hardly a cloud in the sky.

Coldest temperature noted on my journey to get a Covid-19 test done this morning was -6°C at Whitehouse.

Speedy recovery @JamesM

20211218_151746.jpg

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Fog didn't clear here today though it thinned a bit at times. Pic from my walk this afternoon shows moon just above the building through the thinnish layer of fog. Temp at the time was 1.1C on my Oregon w/s though 0C on the Accurite. As it was damp rather than still frosty I go with the former. 
Looks like odds shortening somewhat on a white Christmas and then the cold extending well into January. When was the last time the synoptics for real cold coincided with the statistically coldest time of the Year?

47CC6E89-06EF-45A7-8784-9F98E08C6ABA.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, shuggee said:

Similar stuff here - beautiful winter's day after my thirteenth air frost at -1.3C.

PXL_20211218_150656882.jpg

PXL_20211218_152212713.jpg

And that's tonight's full moon peeping up!

Good luck from me to both @JamesM and @Puffy MacCloud who've been under the weather.

Haven't heard from Puffy today. Hope that he is ok and getting the treatment he needs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Quick reminder that if you want to enter the Xmas Day weather forecasting competition - you've got until midnight tonight!

• Like 1