Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
On 30/11/2021 at 17:50, Ravelin said:

Finally got a mobile data signal at the house again, but still no power and SSE outage tracker has changed from 6pm 30/11 to 5pm 1/12 for our postcode so looks like we'll be onto day 5. I know we are rural and we were always aware that power cuts were therefore likely, but we're not THAT rural. 

As @Quinachsaid, SSE communication has been awful really. We plugged in a backup corded phone on the land line, so could call 105, but the messages are so general they are pointless. The only way we found out about the free burger van (lovely roll and sausage for lunch) and showers in Alford was from the assistant in the local garage this morning. I know this is virtually unprecedented, but they need to learn, especially directing people with no power or mobile signal to check thier website. That made me physically laugh out loud. 

If our friends in Kemnay are right on the level of compensation you can claim then we're up to nearly £500 already just for the length of outage. We WILL be making a claim and it's likely we'll use whatever we get towards reducing the impact if it happens again e.g. a small generator of some sort, or battery backup? 

Oh, and now I can see models, forecasts etc again, looking chilly for the foreseeable. 

Yes had my fill of SSE putting us on a buisness contract a few years back when farm steading (seperate meter) just has a few LED lights and 97% of the bill was the house(domestic) and then not being able to pay the bill online any longer. Communcation has been awful this summer on the phone for hours but finally got through via e mail  . Had to send them copy of councill tax bill to get our status change back to domestic and we are in process of moving to another supplier. They now rank with Scottish Water as legalised robbers in my book now. With old farmhouse we still have open fires and an oil fired Rayburn for heating water and some cooking although its slower so most eventualities covered.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
WWW.CITIZENSADVICE.ORG.UK

How to claim compensation if your gas or electricity supply is interrupted, when you're entitled to compensation, how much you'll get.

Definitely worth banging in a claim  

I'll buy Aberdeen Football Club with my £500 compensation.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 8

Posted

Dank dark drizzly foggy  day here with a temperature of around 7c. Notice Lerwick is just above freezing so cold air not to far away.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Sceptical said:
WWW.CITIZENSADVICE.ORG.UK

How to claim compensation if your gas or electricity supply is interrupted, when you're entitled to compensation, how much you'll get.

Definitely worth banging in a claim  

I'll buy Aberdeen Football Club with my £500 compensation.

Power still out here and in nearby Sauchen.  Friend in Kemnay asked SSEN today about the compensation and got told that they're not paying anything out....hah, good luck in keeping that story going...

Whole issue has brought out the best and worst in people.  Kirkwood Homes though should hold their heads in shame.  Their HQ facility is next to Sauchen (and are even building a controversial housing estate in the village).  They got power up and running yesterday morning via a generator but made no attempt at all to help people by supplying hot water etc - instead they put up a container offering firewood for sale at, shall we say, uncompetitive rates.  Hope the media get a hold of the story.

Driving round today its amazing how concentrated the damage is in areas, for example on the south side of the A944 at Tillfourie it's like a tornado hit, whilst other side of road is untouched.  Some amazing destruction at Pitfichie as well, can see photos of that on the Monymusk Facebook site.

As for weather, misty and murky interspersed with brief bursts of rain.  Calm, 6c.

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

I hope you all had a great St. Andrews Day with a stomach bursting amount of haggis and an eye-watering sloshing down amount of single malt

High temperature today was 10.6⁰C at 12 :41 sinking to a low of 6.5⁰C now, humidity is 94%, wind 0 to 2 mph northwesterly with a maximum gust of 17mph at 21: 05, pressure is 992.4hPa rocketing upwards and there’s been 32.6mm of rainfall today.

November 2021 highs are 14.1⁰C, 97% humidity, 22mph wind gust, 1033.3hPa pressure and total rainfall of 116.6mm. November lows were -3.8⁰C, humidity of 60%, pressure of 973.7hPa and dew point of -6⁰C.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
  • Like 8

Posted

Wet miserable day 4°C. Snow in the forecast IMBY today and tomorrow. Decent start to the first day of the meteorological winter.

I remain optimistic for winter 21/22.

• Like 9

Posted

Absolute weather misery here this morning! Dark, wet and feeling colder than 6c! Awful! Looks like it might improve for a while though later. I see a few places have some snow opportunities over the next few days! Fingers crossed for everyone! 

Still can't quite wrap my head around last week's storm after reading some of those posts on here and seeing the news!! Such a non-event locally but seeing so much damage north, south, east and way out west of here makes me think we thankfully dodged that one! Thoughts with anyone still affected by it!!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
11 hours ago, Quinach said:

Driving round today its amazing how concentrated the damage is in areas, for example on the south side of the A944 at Tillfourie it's like a tornado hit,

I didn't get a great look as I was driving but I noticed that area this morning. Looked like a fair proportion of the trees that were down had snapped off around 2m from the ground so very apocalyptic looking indeed. 

2C and very heavy sleet when I left for work this morning. After 4 days without power I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about the prospect of work, but I was very enthusiastic about getting into my own shower. 

• Like 6

Posted

Power still out, though amusingly SSEN decided to update their system to show that the area was repaired at 7am this morning.  Cue avalanche of complaints from what looks like the whole of Sauchen and environ.  Their reporting system is a utter shambles.

A cooler feel to the day, currently 3.9c with brief heavy showers passing through regularly on a fresh NW wind.  Some very welcome spells of sunshine in between the showers.

• Like 9

Posted

While I sympathise with those still without power, they really are pulling out all the stops to get things sorted. 

The damage was phenomenonal and untangling hundreds of miles of fallen power cables and reconnecting is a massive task that shouldn't be underestimated. 

Some of the guys I met locally had come over from Ireland to help out so I'm not really sure how much more they can do. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

It just goes to show how much more damage is caused by an unusual wind direction. If it had been 70 - 80mph westerlies it would've been nowhere near as bad.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Happy New Winter to one and all. Let’s hope we get a proper Scottish winter full of proper Scottish winter weather. Today dawned cold and overcast but by the time we went out for lunch at noon it was cold and partly cloudy, and by the time we got back at 2pm it was cold and clear. A nice start.

Temperature high today was 6.6⁰C at midnight from where it has steadily dropped to 3.2⁰C now, humidity is 76%, wind is 0 to 4mph north-northwesterly with a maximum gust of 14mph at 09:45, pressure is 1004.5hPa rising like a rocket, there was 1.2mm of rainfall in the early hours today and 28.2mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 1/8.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Quite chilly out there today, 5c and tomorrow aside the highs are not scheduled to get above that. It feels like winter now.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Ross90 said:

It just goes to show how much more damage is caused by an unusual wind direction. If it had been 70 - 80mph westerlies it would've been nowhere near as bad.

DSC_1206.jpg
WWW.ITV.COM

You can catch-up with the ITV News Border programme on weekdays for 24-hours after it is broadcast on ITV. | ITV News Border

Well said.  Take a look at 10.30 into this.

• Like 2

Posted

Expected the temperature to drop through the afternoon but has hovered around the 3c or 4c mark and any showers are still not yet wintry in nature. Looks like the shower activity will perk up in the next hour or two - hopefully falling as snow by then.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Not much of a shift needed to be into that Scandi baltic air ECH1-120.thumb.gif.63200d3714e5a14a64747160346064b1.gifECU0-144.thumb.gif.8f7c4221af8bcc0b05084a3f286ae286.gif

• Like 7

Posted

Some torrential rain yesterday evening and wet through to morning, colder as the day progressed though and it’s been snowing in some form for the last hour with a wee covering. 0c

8 hours ago, bomdabass said:

All,

video of bridge going in at Moy at the weekend

Pass this every day and always intrigued to see how its developed. Great effort

• Like 6

Posted

Very cold raw day with fresh NW wind at  around 4c although with some brightness.       NW wind even stronger this evenng and currently 2c. Real winters day.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
5 hours ago, Ross90 said:

Totally. The wind was pretty much from the north here which none of the forests were used to. If they were, any trees not well rooted /  sheltered by others in terms of resisting that would have been taken out long ago. The storm found the natural weak spot. Those still standing are Darwin's 'natural selection'. It was the closely spaced 'planation' pines and spruce that just toppled in swaths. The more natural beech, oak, ash and birch held their own unless they were old and rotten in the core.

It's a total mess. We've previously spent many hours lopping wee dug walking paths through the wood stands around here, notably during lockdown. Formed our own local path network which everyone loved and kept improving. Most are impassable now. Word is that some of the wood owners will get round to clearing while the fallen trees are still fresh enough so worth the most for timber, but it's well beyond guy with a chainsaw level; needs full foresting equipment. 

Edited by Scottish-Irish Skier
  • Like 8