Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

There was pretty consistent rainfall up to lunchtime and then a brief chink of blue sky was spotted. That was as good as it got. The afternoon was dull and mostly overcast.

Temperature high was 5.9⁰C at 14:24 up from a low of 1.1⁰C at 00:43 and now 1.6⁰C, humidity was between 90% and 95%, the wind was mainly westerly to southwesterly but swinging around to southeasterly with a maximum gust of 17mph at 10:28,  pressure is currently 1004.6hPa rocketing upwards, there’s been 5.8mm of rainfall today with 8/8 cloud cover generally and the dew point is now at 1⁰C.

• Like 5

Posted

The worst type of winter day.Started off wet with temperature climbing ,frost coming out of the ground making it very muddy and then a very strong wind got up as vet and I did an annual blood test on the cattle with the paperwork hard to hang onto. To finish it off its currently 10c  and heavy wetting rain.Hopefully the frost will all come out tonight and ground firm up.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Frosty early here too with a min of -1.3C. Stayed cool, cloudy and damp with no real rain for much of the day though the temperature rose late afternoon and is now at the day's max of 8.1C.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5

Posted

Hard frost initially last night (down to -4.6c) before warming up quickly in the early hours, leading to a mild max of 7.6c.

Light winds with some patchy light rain in the morning, brightening up in the afternoon with some fleeting sunny spells.

Back to rain earlier this evening for short time.

tty.thumb.jpg.39745eb6c13022e2c423b327aa2cf3cb.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Lack of posts tells you everything about how featureless the weather is at the moment!

Day started off promising, as evidenced below, with clear blue skies and black ice everywhere thanks to a overnight low of -2c.

The early sunshine didn't last long, now masked by copious amounts of high level cloud.

Light winds and temperature has maxed out at 5.1c.

SSDF.thumb.jpg.2177937a3be7db61685421ed178a553f.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, Quinach said:

Lack of posts tells you everything about how featureless the weather is at the moment!

Likely going to be an ongoing problem too as nothing much interesting in the models recently. I'll post in the other thread in a bit as there's still some hints for next week. 

Low of -0.8C here this morning with a good frost on the car, but car showed -2C going through Alford. High of 5.1C. Too busy working to see much of the weather during daylight hours. 

• Like 5

Posted

High temperature today was 7.4⁰C at 14:39 up from a low of 1.3⁰C at 04:49 and now 6.8⁰C, humidity dropped from 95% at 00:33 to 84% at 14:36 and now 90%, wind 2 to 7mph southwesterly with a maximum gust of 12mph at 12:45, pressure has risen from 1018.0hPa at midnight to 1032.1hPa now and still rising slowly, there’s been 0.2mm of rain today and in the last 24 hours, and cloud cover varied from 5/8 to 7/8 with occasional sunshine.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Boringly mild. 

• Like 7

Posted

The weather is so benign I'm looking at GFS charts of a northerly at 7 days out   A setup to deliver precisely hee-haw to these parts like every other northerly ever 

• Like 6

Posted
7 hours ago, NUT said:

Weird orange sky now (no sun still grey) really strange

Yes, we had that here also, and I’m assuming because of the timing that it was the residual effect of a stunning sunset totally masked off by low overcast cloud, which had been the order of the day from dawn to dusk.

Low temperature of the day was 6.8⁰C at midnight from where the temperature rose to 8.4⁰C at 10:46 and has dropped again to 7.7⁰C now, humidity rose from 87% at 02:16 to 92% at 17:34, wind was 2 to 8mph southwesterly with a maximum gust of 16mph at 04:25, pressure rose from 1031.9hPa at midnight to 11037.0hPa at 11:22 and hasn’t changed since, there was no rainfall today and cloud cover was 8/8 throughout.

• Like 6

Posted

Nothing boring about input prices in farming having just had a conversation with an old college friend who is my main fertiliser contact  where prices have risen by about 250% on the year due mostly to the Russians and Chinese playing silly so and sos with world markets.

Chemical sprays are the same along with machinery and too an extent fuel as well. Online shopping too shows food prices accelerating because of this but still have a way to go to match cost increases so financial prudence   is the side I have come down on rather than agronomic need so our output will fall and if enough of us round the world do this then grain prices should rise  to  a  level to cover this or the Chinese and Russians will release their straglehold on costs of inputs if they can"t sell as much. This scenario played out in 2008 and lasted a year.Don"t think it will resolve itself so quickly this time.

A very windy day here with surface of ground slowly drying up and temperature around 9c. Fabulous sunset too

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
14 hours ago, 101_North said:

The weather is so benign I'm looking at GFS charts of a northerly at 7 days out   A setup to deliver precisely hee-haw to these parts like every other northerly ever 

I genuinely can't remember being less interested in winter weather as I am right now. This is interminable!!

PS - I really don't remember much these days anyway 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 hour ago, Quinach said:

But nothing compared to the stunning sunset yesterday, where surfaces literally glowed with red at the peak of it - was visiting friends at the time and we thought there was a fire outside initially!

Some lovely detail in the underside of the cloud as well.

sunset.thumb.jpg.abfb47b37e784eeede5bb8c89919a354.jpg

rr.thumb.jpg.e39c2691d5df5c02916d871bf64c94c2.jpg

tt.thumb.jpg.1b459ab007c0a1dd364d25b15d7c4622.jpg

I do love it when the nation has a collective 'natural' experience like this, when my Facebook/Twitter feeds suddenly fill up with different views of the same amazing sight across the country (remember the nacreous cloud incident?) We didn't really get yesterday's amazing sunset here as there was that stubborn low cloud, but it was thin enough to mean that the grey murk outside went the weirdest shade of pinky brown, which did prompt me to get up out of my chair and peer out the window cos the room had filled with an odd glow

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Brighter here today with clouds pretty much staying off to the West. Mild again with a max of 9.1C and a min of 6.4C. Now 7.9C. Another nice sunset looks on the cards but that is about all to say about the weather.

• Like 6

Posted

Agree with everyone, weather has been extremely boring recently. The high pressure is too far south and we are just on the edge, as mild westerly winds bring endless gloom. 

Ironically down south it seems to be colder (and sunnier), which I would definitely prefer to what we are getting now. No end in sight either, and I'm not looking at GFS anymore and it's phantom northerlies and height rises. 

Never thought I'd say this, but wouldn't mind an Atlantic storm to spice things up a little. 

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, edinburgh_1992 said:

Agree with everyone, weather has been extremely boring recently. The high pressure is too far south and we are just on the edge, as mild westerly winds bring endless gloom. 

Ironically down south it seems to be colder (and sunnier), which I would definitely prefer to what we are getting now. No end in sight either, and I'm not looking at GFS anymore and it's phantom northerlies and height rises. 

Never thought I'd say this, but wouldn't mind an Atlantic storm to spice things up a little. 

Just up the coast it was sunny all day here though I would concur that a good Atlantic storm would give us something more substantial  to discuss.

• Like 2