Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

A fair bit of snow fell overnight here in EK 5 inches anyway on the car. I was expecting heavy snow showers but more in a wet nature that it won’t really be an issue especially under convective Polar Maritime conditions where the showers also pass through quickly.. Heard even lower areas in Glasgow got snow too think the large shower just before the peak period added to most of the problems on roads too. However talking of local authorities clearing roads in winter conditions Glasgow appears to be the worst I’ve seen. Too often roads don’t even get gritted in the city. Then you see the whole city gridlock when there is the slightest fall of snow. Many places too can’t get a plough through it due to speedhumps on main roads leaving large areas (Castlemilk) without a bus service.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.
36 minutes ago, Sunshineandshowers84 said:

A fair bit of snow fell overnight here in EK 5 inches anyway on the car. I was expecting heavy snow showers but more in a wet nature that it won’t really be an issue especially under convective Polar Maritime conditions where the showers also pass through quickly.. Heard even lower areas in Glasgow got snow too think the large shower just before the peak period added to most of the problems on roads too. However talking of local authorities clearing roads in winter conditions Glasgow appears to be the worst I’ve seen. Too often roads don’t even get gritted in the city. Then you see the whole city gridlock when there is the slightest fall of snow. Many places too can’t get a plough through it due to speedhumps on main roads leaving large areas (Castlemilk) without a bus service.

Yes Glasgow City Council are consistently caught out by this type of weather. I get that they can’t deal with everything but this isn’t a one off. They won’t be slow to take to Twitter and get the excuses out though.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

Yes Glasgow City Council are consistently caught out by this type of weather. I get that they can’t deal with everything but this isn’t a one off. They won’t be slow to take to Twitter and get the excuses out though.

Covid is the running excuse for the next few years 

Snow is back on here, will see how much we get from this big shower before they start dieing off. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

A surprise dusting of snow in south Edinburgh this morning! 

02ABB46D-BAB0-41F4-B76C-B3A7BFD41CA4.heic

• Like 7

Posted

Drip drip obviously going on now but least got our lying snaw eventually fairly decent amount too  Probably be all gone with the rain which will eventually come in (hopefully not our only lying snaw this winter)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
48 minutes ago, dryfie said:

Generally good consistency between reported snow depths:

East Kilbride    12cm,        Lanark    12cm,        Dunlop    11cm,        Loch Glasgarnoch    9cm,        Drumalbin    9cm,        Caldercruix    9cm, 

East Ayrshire    7cm,        Tulloch Bridge    6cm,          

Motherwell barely 2cm, everywhere around here did well but the showers just avoided the lower parts of NL.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Well we missed last nights snow barr a few light showers as I suspected. Light smattering froze solid though so lanes would have been tricky this morning.  Snowing lightly now as I speak. Older snow holding on although looks mostly green lower down in the valley.  Temperature 0.08 and everything still iced.

Jan 7th 21 snow.jpg

Snow jan 7th b.jpg

• Like 9

Posted

Since mid morning it’s been dry and mainly sunny. Just shows that once the wind dies down these heavy showers don’t get so far inland. All I can see is Anvils towards the coast.. Been out into Glasgow and surrounding area and not seen a clear pavement. Instead its snow turning to slush or been walked and and becoming treacherous..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰
On 06/01/2022 at 00:20, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

bringing really intense showers

thundery conditions thrown in too

wherever gets a persistent train of showers add in evaporative cooling and a good fall of snow isn't a tough thing to imagine

Good when a forecast goes to plan, would've liked showers here but remained dry. We've got a setup which is nearly the same I think the showers will be ever so slightly less intense but again thunder possible and if a lot of showers train over the same areas like today ☃️animowx0.gif

Sunday morning is worth watching as low moves in for front edge snow 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
11 hours ago, A Winter's Tale said:

If the line of the snow showers currently south of Glasgow was a little further north then I’d think an amber warning would be a possibility with the potential for more than 10cm of snow. I’ve got to say I’m surprised by this event given how brief this cold interlude is and how wet the ground was after the rain of yesterday. It just goes to show what a polar westerly can deliver and ironically a mobile westerly has delivered more this morning than any of the failed blocking opportunities since late November. 

I am always amazed how heavy snow can quickly lie on soaked ground and even puddles when the dew point and wet bulb is low enough.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5

Posted

Just shows how a few miles inland and height make a big difference..slush fest in Irvine / killie winter wonderland in Dunlop and darvel. Thanks SPINDRIFT for your strathaven pics.. I worked their for 2 v snowy years incl the beast from the east year..which strathaven was deep in snow for much of that winter.

• Like 6