Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
16 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

What are you doing in Rothie? Crikey. C'mon lad, head west.

You're alive.... thank god for that was beginning to worry that something had happened to you..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

An old friend had to be put to sleep in the autumn - his back legs were gone, poor old sausage.

This is him messing in the snow 3 winters ago. He didn't really care about the cold, even when quite old, cos he kept his coat well. So he'd go out hunting but forget about being black so would end up just batting snow around instead.

228723106_thebutcher.thumb.jpg.124ae879cc868ec1dbe32803a1f37ea7.jpg

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Been a poor season so far for our ski Industry,  nothing in the charts to show it gwtting any better anytime soon , awful 

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, johncam said:

Been a poor season so far for our ski Industry,  nothing in the charts to show it gwtting any better anytime soon , awful 

Yep, I'm not sensing I'll be getting the best value from my Cairngorm season pass this season, sadly. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
2 hours ago, johncam said:

Yes, such a shame that Covid and restrictions ruined last year when conditions were perfect and now this year when there are no restrictions there is virtually no skiable snow aside from the artificial learners bits.

Was up in Aberdeen today but weather just the same as here. Dull and nondescript.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Norrance said:

Yes, such a shame that Covid and restrictions ruined last year when conditions were perfect and now this year when there are no restrictions there is virtually no skiable snow aside from the artificial learners bits.

Was up in Aberdeen today but weather just the same as here. Dull and nondescript.

Yep was up aviemore last April.and still plenty of snow , was such a waste 

• Like 2

Posted

It's worth remembering that the best Scottish ski conditions are typically in February and March so plenty of time yet hopefully. 

This spell of weather is getting a bit dull but it's great for getting outside work done - I'm way ahead of normal on my chore list. Even next winter's firewood is chopped and stacked although I've still got endless trees to sort from Arwen but getting short on space undercover to stack it. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul said:

Yep, I'm not sensing I'll be getting the best value from my Cairngorm season pass this season, sadly. 

Do you have inside info on how the rest of the winter will pan out for us? at the mo, the outlook appears grim to me but some pro insight would be welcome 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Welcome back HC

I got some gardening done yesterday!! Sun was even quite warm on my back. Cooler today and cloudy. Right now its 4.40am and I'm up drinking tea - it sounds a bit windy ootside.

• Like 6

Posted
10 hours ago, johncam said:

Only a matter of time before one of the five centres goes bust.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

I suppose its far from awful weather, we are seeing some sun and it's been largely dry. It's just boring, no real variety, and I've stopped posting in the other thread as the current model output doesn't show much change. Hopefully the cycle will be broken eventually. 

Currently 5.1C, which is down from an overnight high of 8.4C. As Sceptical and the radar suggests, its likely raining but too lazy yet to get out of bed and look. If MetO forecast is correct then by the evening it'll be cold enough for some light snow, so maybe a dusting if we're lucky. Brief reminder of winter before "it warms up again for the weekend" as the STV weather put it last night. 

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Sceptical said:

Only a matter of time before one of the five centres goes bust.

Sad to say i think you will be right 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Mixed feelings about this winter.

Its not been great for cold and snow, but the saving grace is that temps are staying in single figures, whilst we are still, despite a lot of the gloom here, still getting better sunshine than many other winters (someone might clarify that at the end of the month).

In the absence of some proper cold and snow, I’ll take it for now.

• Like 7

Posted

Bit of rain overnight for what seems like the first time in weeks.

That cleared through before dawn, now mainly sunny and a strong and bitterly cold NW wind.

Currently 5c, so temperature a bit down on recent days.

Got to say, the last few weeks have seen some very decent sunrises/sunsets - I'll take that with the sunshine in lieu of decent snowfall.

uuk.thumb.jpg.9b3a4a5495748c5f1d7b09169930bcc2.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
3 hours ago, johncam said:

Sad to say i think you will be right 

If they do it's entirely down to the ridiculous decision to keep them closed even to locals during the prolonged period of great conditions last year. It was particularly frustrating when golf courses were open right through. 

I made the most of it on touring skis on local hills and forests but that doesn't keep anyone's business open. 

As I said above, hopefully we get a decent spell in Feb/March/April to keep them going. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Dull cold and showery with a bitter wind and we have had actually a few showers consisting of wet snow and the higher hills are white. 4c at moment 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
WWW.EDINBURGHLIVE.CO.UK

As north of Scotland fell below 0, Edinburgh residents will feel the chill as temperatures drop to freezing this week before snow is forecasted for the central belt.

These kinds of stories are just awful. No attempt at accuracy at all 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw, Snaw and mair Snaw

Yawn...another day of boredom weather wise, the air temp is currently showing 5.4deg/C the ground temp is -2.4deg/C, the Beeb weather is forecasting a frost tonight...what actual winter weather miracles will never cease...I'd like to wake-up tomorrow to a white frost but I think its too dry for that.

Here's a small clip to spread some snow cheer...its a snippet from that wonderful Easterly event in February 21.

When I get my new super fast laptop up and running I'll put up whole day up its quite something to see.

• Like 8

Posted
2 hours ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Dull cold and showery with a bitter wind and we have had actually a few showers consisting of wet snow and the higher hills are white. 4c at moment 

Yes Ben  Wyvis had a fresh snow cap today more reminiscent of November or April than January.  Funny old world where snow falls

_122884572_mediaitem122884571.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The ice crystals leave stunning patterns in the sands of the Sahara, the world's largest hot desert.

• Like 5

Posted
On 18/01/2022 at 17:52, Mair Snaw said:

Right I've had enough of this winter now... so only one thing to do and thats drink untill the models look good...

20220118_175000.jpg

20220118_175003.jpg

20220118_175009.jpg

How's yer heid today?

Sweepstake on how long Johnson lasts?

Odd showers here today, coming in on that Arctic blast. Arctic blast? Right wing ACC denying press trying to con us into thinking this is 'normal' for winter.

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
Just now, Hairy Celt said:

How's yer heid today?

Perfectly fine thank you... i dont suffer from hangovers.

• Like 1