Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather discussion

Paul

Posted

Traffic chaos around many parts of Glasgow and surrounding areas at the moment. Thought the met may have upgraded to Amber when I saw the radar this morning but I guess it wouldn't have made much difference really. Still snowing here but not adding too much to the totals since its wet and heavy and melting as fast as its falling. I hink we have 2-3 inches on the grass but hard to tell from the first floor flat.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
16 minutes ago, Ross B said:

Traffic chaos around many parts of Glasgow and surrounding areas at the moment. Thought the met may have upgraded to Amber when I saw the radar this morning but I guess it wouldn't have made much difference really. Still snowing here but not adding too much to the totals since its wet and heavy and melting as fast as its falling. I hink we have 2-3 inches on the grass but hard to tell from the first floor flat.

If this was the London area then red warnings would probably be in place. It’s always the same, I think it’s very poor the way the met office handle their warnings for Scotland.

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

If this was the London area then red warnings would probably be in place. It’s always the same, I think it’s very poor the way the met office handle their warnings for Scotland.

Yep, the traffic Scotland website is struggling which is a good indication that a lot of people are having problems this morning! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Some showers have made it through to here and there is a slight covering. Looks like here in Crieff we are on the edge of where they got to as looking East is clear. Sky to the SW looks full of cloud.

C9FF7780-F310-4229-9572-DC7A2952BD1C.jpeg

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 9

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

If the line of the snow showers currently south of Glasgow was a little further north then I’d think an amber warning would be a possibility with the potential for more than 10cm of snow. I’ve got to say I’m surprised by this event given how brief this cold interlude is and how wet the ground was after the rain of yesterday. It just goes to show what a polar westerly can deliver and ironically a mobile westerly has delivered more this morning than any of the failed blocking opportunities since late November. 

• Like 9

Posted

Duplicate

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

In fairness I don’t think massive amounts of snow have fallen and I don’t think there’s anything warranting any more than a yellow met office warning. Traffic problems are down to local authorities having not prepared for it adequately meaning main roads are left slushy and slippery.

• Like 6

Posted

Lots of travel disruption including reports of abandoned vehicles in East Dunbartonshire. Almost reminiscent of 6 Dec 2010 with surprise snow during rush hour. At least 5cm falling between 5-8am is bound to cause disruption. 

_122612282_snow.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Motorists are facing treacherous driving conditions with heavy snow falling across many parts of Scotland.

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

In fairness I don’t think massive amounts of snow have fallen and I don’t think there’s anything warranting any more than a yellow met office warning. Traffic problems are down to local authorities having not prepared for it adequately meaning main roads are left slushy and slippery.

I think its more that the snow came down quickly during peak travel time and has trained in on the same areas than due to total amounts. There's nothing the councils can do about that, roads were well treated around here last night and cleared between showers. People don't buy appropriate cars (e.g. There's a lot of RWD mercs stuck ) or go all season/winter tyres when they do so I think its more to do with that and the education around it, many on social media seem to think grit is like lava for example. 

• Like 5

Posted

Loving the snow pics.  Hope everyone stays safe and enjoy the snow.  It’s like a different country over here on the east coast.  Blue sky and not even a frost.  

• Like 7

Posted

Frosty, dry, 0c , sunny, blue sky and a bit of a west wind Can see the showers out to the west and Ben Wyvis is coated top to bottom.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Wondered why nobody was talking to me then realised I was logged oot. Not so much as a single FLAKE here, am jealous!

• Like 7