Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
Just now, ICE COLD said:

Yes I’d bite your hand off for that to come off . T168 is interesting as well if the low is a bit further south could be very snowy

And day 9 looks decent too

DCE1E3D0-332F-43A9-A445-3A91247E79A1.png

FDC38FC3-6EBB-4699-ABA1-448CAAE154C0.png

I hope so for you guys. Its all on a knife edge. Think lots of surprises in the making. However, best look no further than 5 days and then expect the unexpected if you know what I mean. Think many on here would like the cold to dominate. Its certainly becoming a noticeable feature over Scandinavia. Lets see how it pans out !

C

• Like 6

Posted

More drama !

The ECM highlights the importance of less phasing issues with shortwave energy near Norway .

The upstream troughing doesn’t get pulled too far east and there’s more energy heading se .

• Like 7

Posted
On 01/12/2021 at 05:58, Broadmayne blizzard said:

If the meto are right àbout the polar vortex. (See Marco Petagna tweet) then you can pretty much kiss goodbye to the scandi high teases shown on recent runs. Or at least goodbye to them affecting us anyway.

Yes they are far more interested in the rapidly developing low pressures that could soon up in the Atlantic over the next 7-10 days as opposed to the very small chance of this cold pool to the NE affecting us. Saw that on the 12zs with those bowling ball lows and I bet we start to see more of them in the model output with storm B being created soon

SPV does look like getting it’s act together as head into December

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

We may see a brief incursion of a bit of colder air, but let's be honest, the Atlantic isn't going to be denied here is it.

image.thumb.png.661239db655aedd859bbafee6d96ce92.pngimage.thumb.png.caa9bd404dc7662a8110be0a06b3fc21.png

Those charts are about as bad as you can get for a N Hem view. Low polar heights across the entire pole.

I haven't posted for a few days as the hype train was just a bit too much for me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

We may see a brief incursion of a bit of colder air, but let's be honest, the Atlantic isn't going to be denied here is it.

image.thumb.png.661239db655aedd859bbafee6d96ce92.pngimage.thumb.png.caa9bd404dc7662a8110be0a06b3fc21.png

Those charts are about as bad as you can get for a N Hem view. Low polar heights across the entire pole.

I haven't posted for a few days as the hype train was just a bit too much for me.

I tend to agree, but in the short term, cold options are still on the table.  Looking further ahead into December, there are ominous signs of a very +NAO setting up - we desperately need help from the Strat to keep us in the 'cold game' in the medium term.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, mulzy said:

I tend to agree, but in the short term, cold options are still on the table.  Looking further ahead into December, there are ominous signs of a very +NAO setting up - we desperately need help from the Strat to keep us in the 'cold game' in the medium term.

You at risk of being pelted with rotten tomatoes for having a similar opinion to me there!

image.thumb.png.03dca1067e090a39e8567fb541f1ec98.pngimage.thumb.png.8579464656ad07afbd47a81fb21c7939.png

Strong AO and NAO combination has been lacking through pretty much the entire autumn....hence the very dry and blocked November. As usual, as soon as we start entering into territory when cold weather can really pack some punch, the Atlantic finds its feet and blasts everything away. Those two markers in tandem are never a good sign.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

People keep going on about the Atlantic blasting through, but the single defining characteristic of recent GFS op runs in the outer reaches (i.e Day 10 onwards) is the precise opposite of that. I think people just immediately think +NAO = zonal, stormy and wet. Instead (just as a single frame example), we have this as a typical synoptic:
gfsnh-0-384.png

That's a very positive NAO and AO, but it is very dry and (for the most part) bone-chillingly cold at the surface across thousands of miles of continental Europe and Asia.

• Like 8

Posted

Morning all,just to show not to take charts over 120 hrs seriously fax chart 120 hrs yesterday showed pin ball

low 945 mb over the midlands.Today’s 96 hrs fax chart shows it over Scotland that in itself tells you everything 

keep to 120 hrs max but even that can change as shown above.

• Like 3

Posted
On 01/12/2021 at 09:17, Anthony Burden said:

Morning all,just to show not to take charts over 120 hrs seriously fax chart 120 hrs yesterday showed pin ball

low 945 mb over the midlands.Today’s 96 hrs fax chart shows it over Scotland that in itself tells you everything 

Is that a bad thing though if that low had trended north.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Yep. And this is the latest fax chart for Saturday. Far removed from the one a couple of days ago. 

fax84s.gif

Edited by blizzard81
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Gap between the 2 lows? O6z step towards ecm for me.

FBEC2CE8-E7D7-4BA5-BD16-2BE98A32EFAF.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

You can see where GFS and ECM diverge, between D5-D6:

GFS 06z> gfseu-0-138.thumb.png.878bac94e450fac2e038c3dbfff786c6.png ECM 0z> ECE1-144.thumb.gif.1126c4940c14b81bb3c68a5d77b12352.gif

GFS rides the mini-ridge to the SE whilst the ECM sends the low SE, and there lies FI. The GFS has that low part of the vortex whereas ECM has it detached allowing it to break SE. Which is the correct solution?

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!

There really are some desperate comments coming through in here this morning.  Throw away comments on the models with no reference to the period are useless to anybody reading.  

Winter started today, March is a long way off - game on!!  

• Like 7