Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Winter arrives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
11 minutes ago, jules216 said:

Despite all the hype about this december being different it does seem not to be the case. Any form of cold weather is happening through usual topplers or weaker form of transient blocking. Then around 10.12 game set match fór the rest od the month. This will be the case this year too I believe. The last two Also featured transient epizódes of cold during start of the month so nothing unusual, this chart is a typical look in decembers post 2013.

gfsnh-0-258.png

There’s a different thread for moans about winter (that only just started) 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
12 minutes ago, Anon90 said:

Things can and will change but when most indicators seem to point towards an eventual SW/NE firing jet  I can't help but get that sinking feeling....

Certainly GFS heading that way today. Latest UKMO seems a compromise between this mornings ECM /GFS.  Things can change but seeds of doubt remain at the moment, especially post day 5 charts on offer. Models still get to grips with the jet firing up across Canada. Is it going to be ECM stand alone with its very low confidence level into next week.?

C

image.png

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.dbee9acf08821d8b66ef58958cb0089f.png

Ukmo 168...

Would love to see that low sink but possibly a compromise between EEC southerly low and GFS more northerly track.

C

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

I will say this once....yes its the first day of winter...and to claim we already need a major ssw to save it....is bordering on insane...have you any idea what it's like for me and others on this Forum who spend hour after hour day after day week after week to study the models...hoping for the first signs...and then to have to listen to statements saying this! It feels like at times...why bother! @Anon90 have a little patience please...if things look bad come mid January,then perhaps its justified....but right now!!!

I've already read enough posts today to make me feel like giving it neck for a few days...

Output looks very much undecided moving forward...Let's see what Ecm brings...and you know what??if its bad,there's always tomorrow...and you guessed it....Still only 2nd December.

I agree completely. I feel the same way. I empathise with him too... I would also say that the met office themselves don't have a handle on it either... This is the magic of the weather and the fascination it holds for me.... I'd say its an exciting hobby and intellectual interest.... Right now the charts are showing lots of winter interest... That's what keeps me going... That and the excellent input from members.  Thanks all. 

Edited by PiscesStar
  • Like 5

Posted

300 miles south and that would a stonking chart.  And 300 miles either way has to be within envelope at such a range

Ps the ukm 168 @northwestsnow just posted

Edited by TSNWK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

The 12z is even worse. I think the problem is that a few people were guilty of completely ramping up next to nothing over the last 5 days, so people feel deflated. Just have to strap ourselves in and hope something appears. Early days!

• Like 5

Posted
On 01/12/2021 at 17:18, mb018538 said:

The 12z is even worse. I think the problem is that a few people were guilty of completely ramping up next to nothing over the last 5 days, so people feel deflated. Just have to strap ourselves in and hope something appears. Early days!

12z GFS is worse ukm has potential and we await ecm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

For me, the longer-term outlook will remain 'up in the air' until the development (or not) of the LP associated with the jet stream exiting the USA is resolved?

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Put simply we are in the early stages of the Easterly QBO and there almost always is a natural decrease of the easterlies sometime around this phase, look how similar 2009, 2012 and 2017 are to the current phase we all know what happened after 1 year in those years (I included 2012-13 because I seem to remember it as being quite good) so I don't think this Winter will be the stronger of the next 2 for snow but this is all theoretical 

Edit

I'm not saying that Winter won't happen this year I mean look at what we have already had I am merely saying next year is more likely to be better so if this year does bust there's always next year lol 

IMG_0159.thumb.JPG.cf86a80ebdaff7856d0288ce3b5675b9.JPG

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 5

Posted
28 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

LOL.

So you are writing  off the last 3 weeks of  Dec??

Jules,it's the 1st of December . !!goodness me.

There's someone above writing off the whole of Winter never mind the last 3 weeks of December 

The GFS has had one of it's traditional early Winter FI runs today with huge deep low pressure systems battering the UK. It won't happen but I actually wouldn't mind it - alternating w/sw/nw wind and rain often feeling cold. I quite like that kind of weather. 

• Like 5

Posted

In all my years on here, I don't think I've ever posted a gem chart. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this is where we end up. 

gemnh-0-192.png

• Like 9

Posted
6 minutes ago, Cold Winter Night said:

I must have missed that. What "completely ramping up" do you mean? Can you give examples?

This is the model output thread. In the model output over the past week or so, there were (and still are on many GEFS 12z perturbations and also in EPS clusters) height rises near Scandinavia.
Since Scandi Highs are usually an important ingredient for winter weather, that is being closely monitored by us.

I've read every post on this thread, and I don't recall anyone saying that we were for sure about to enter a severe cold spell or something.
All agree it's going to be colder than average, and surprises are still inside the range of possibilities. That's all and nothing changed.

We are still in uncertainty about what will happen over the next week, also highlighted by that Met Office video, so no need for premature conclusions, or for ramping up a mild GFS FI.

Completely and utterly agree with this, been lurking this season for a while, as I often do, and I've seen nothing of the sort. All good stuff so far, long may it continue...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

It is still my expectation too, although it has been a bit hairy watching the models the last couple of days.  These wedges of heights can be more stubborn than one would think even against quite energetic looking lows encroaching from the Atlantic, and the pattern can back west as we come into the reliable.  And remember, that we only have half the trop vortex on the Canadian side, that will make a difference too.  

This was my mantra but I’m beginning to think that a strong Canadian tpv drifting into Greenland is unavoidable 

that’s not game over as the gem illustrates this evening but again, could do with the jet being a bit further south if we are to have systems diving into Europe on the lw trough from Canada on a nw/se trajectory 

• Like 5

Posted

Evening all, GFS going for the full Monty regarding Atlantic take over while UKMO keeping a more

northwesterly flow due to low pressure heading into Scotland and keeping the U.K. mainly on the cold side

upto 168 hrs.Some very cold air to the north /northeast,my take as long as the low pressure track’s more to our 

southeast mild will be very short lived.

• Like 3