Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Midlands Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Nice day today, if slightly on the cool side when the sun was in. Reasonable sunshine, though it came and went. Max today 21.3 °C. Incredible to think that could be my min in just a few days.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
2 minutes ago, Arctic Hare said:

Nice day today, if slightly on the cool side when the sun was in. Reasonable sunshine, though it came and went. Max today 21.3 °C. Incredible to think that could be my min in just a few days.

Yes agree re next few days.. I've slept and had windows/doors open to cool the house as much as possible over the past few days and will do so over the next few. I will also close the blinds and curtains during the hottest days Mon/Tue.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Yes agree re next few days.. I've slept and had windows/doors open to cool the house as much as possible over the past few days and will do so over the next few. I will also close the blinds and curtains during the hottest days Mon/Tue.

I'm making the most of the pleasant days and cooler nights before all hell breaks loose next week!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan
2 hours ago, Neil Harris said:

Bit disappointing so far today, been cloudy since about 9am. Feels warmer than yesterday though.. The heat building?

Similar thoughts here. Was slightly surprised after a walk this afternoon to get home and see it was only 22 °C. Tomorrow's going to be interesting with higher temps and much more sun forecast. Obviously nothing compared with what's coming in the 2-3 days after that!

Posted

Mixed day here today, alternating between cloud this morning, a clear afternoon, and back to total cloud from early evening. 24C when the sun did get out.

Posted

Yep same here apart from a high 26c on the Davis and high cloud rolling In a little later.. all windows and doors open once again all night in my house to keep things as cool as poss in the day.

Posted
50 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Yep same here apart from a high 26c on the Davis and high cloud rolling In a little later.. all windows and doors open once again all night in my house to keep things as cool as poss in the day.

Yes, same here. We can't open the living room windows during the day, as we live on a main road, and the traffic noise is unbearable, but before bed in hot spells, every window & door is opened!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Yes, same here. We can't open the living room windows during the day, as we live on a main road, and the traffic noise is unbearable, but before bed in hot spells, every window & door is opened!

You don't won't them open during the day anyway especially over the next 3 days...as it will let the hot air in, keep them closed and the curtains. Just windows and doors curtains open at night. I've been doing this the past few nights to cool all the internal house walls down as much as possible to prepare ☺️ I'm lucky as the nearest main road is 5 miles away and only have to worry about foxes or other vermin getting in. But my 2 Boarders will let me know..

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Agreed PM, but look at the projected temperatures at 10pm Monday, it’s 🥵🥵🥵 so my doors and windows will be staying shut with fans and an air cooler on full hammer 

B78A8211-0263-486C-AC1E-F1E8F129F916.thumb.jpeg.1e885c16760b5267308ab4338b8dd77b.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

My house faces N S, with the back facing South. Perfect for normal UK summer weather.

I have been opening the windows in the early-ish morning. Closing in the late afternoon as the heat builds and then opening everything from about 20:00 onwards to get the cooler air inside. I have to close overnight due to the risk of entry.

No AC or fans.

We have a through garage at the front with up and over doors. If the wind has any northerly element then any breeze gets siphoned through to the house if we leave the bottom couple of feet opened.  It feeds the cooler air into the conservatory, house and kitchen --- It is my free environmental air conditioning.

However the next 2 days are not expected to have a northerly element!!! 

So

I am going to have to change plans - unless the wind creeps round to the ENE. So will probably keep curtains closed in sun facing windows. Defo - stay out of conservatory.

Tuesday I am supposed to be on a canal barge to meet some old friends...... They are already on the barge.

Actually on there, it could be OK with the breeze, provided storms don't build up in the early afternoon.

Who is it lives on a barge on here?   Any tips?.

The house hopefully will be cooling  by early evening on return. 

Interesting situation coming up.

I still feel that cloud will build up and prevent the extremes being discussed nationally and on here. (as per my posting of a week ago). 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
1 hour ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

My house faces N S, with the back facing South. Perfect for normal UK summer weather.

I have been opening the windows in the early-ish morning. Closing in the late afternoon as the heat builds and then opening everything from about 20:00 onwards to get the cooler air inside. I have to close overnight due to the risk of entry.

No AC or fans.

We have a through garage at the front with up and over doors. If the wind has any northerly element then any breeze gets siphoned through to the house if we leave the bottom couple of feet opened.  It feeds the cooler air into the conservatory, house and kitchen --- It is my free environmental air conditioning.

However the next 2 days are not expected to have a northerly element!!! 

So

I am going to have to change plans - unless the wind creeps round to the ENE. So will probably keep curtains closed in sun facing windows. Defo - stay out of conservatory.

Tuesday I am supposed to be on a canal barge to meet some old friends...... They are already on the barge.

Actually on there, it could be OK with the breeze, provided storms don't build up in the early afternoon.

Who is it lives on a barge on here?   Any tips?.

The house hopefully will be cooling  by early evening on return. 

Interesting situation coming up.

I still feel that cloud will build up and prevent the extremes being discussed nationally and on here. (as per my posting of a week ago). 

MIA

Hi MIA, matty40s  image.jpeg.702e74a76c7ef9402745dc18b294b620.jpeg is the barge guy 😉

Still two days away, but I never thought I’d ever see 25c 850 hPa’s over our heads 🥵😎

image.thumb.gif.bec428c5f56765c28989fc2a922ddfb5.gif

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Agreed PM, but look at the projected temperatures at 10pm Monday, it’s 🥵🥵🥵 so my doors and windows will be staying shut with fans and an air cooler on full hammer 

B78A8211-0263-486C-AC1E-F1E8F129F916.thumb.jpeg.1e885c16760b5267308ab4338b8dd77b.jpeg

A sleepless night.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
8 minutes ago, Dancerwithwings said:

Hi MIA, matty40s is the barge guy 😉

Still two days away, but I never thought I’d ever see 25c 850 hPa’s over our heads 🥵😎

image.thumb.gif.bec428c5f56765c28989fc2a922ddfb5.gif

Thanks Matt, for being identified!!!!!.

Any tips for keeping cool on a barge?

We will be travelling between Southam (Itchington) and Warwick during the day.

Is that your area?

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
6 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Thanks Matt, for being identified!!!!!.

Any tips for keeping cool on a barge?

We will be travelling between Southam (Itchington) and Warwick during the day.

Is that your area?

MIA

Here’s my tip 🤣🤣🤣

042D0B54-FE09-4F00-9DF7-5ADC4433E61D.thumb.jpeg.29ff34f83849fe1f74d0e2bdcbccf696.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Today not really going as they said, aside from the spots of drizzle overnight it's so hazy that the sun is barely showing and doesnt seem much chance of hitting the 31-32 forecast for here unless it brightens up. In fact it's beyond hazy, I'd now call it overcast. How many times does that mid-high level cloud turn up and keep the temperature down in forecast hot spells round here....  Yesterday and Friday were also some way cooler and cloudier than forecast although not totally cloudy.

Tomorrow/Tuesday might yet produce something extraordinary but this so far has unmistakeable August 2003 overtones (a near total let down round here if you were expecting sunshine and record temperatures as forecast)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

Sun finally breaking through good patches of blue starting to appear and the sun has finally started to break through the clag, especially as it was blue skies and full sun first thing I was starting to wonder when the high level cloud drifted in if it was going to set the tone for the rest of the day, thankfully seems to be burning back a bit now 

• Like 1

Posted

Very breezy here with hight cloud currently, just finished cutting the hedge and doing a few other bits and bobs befor the sun breaks through then I'm retiring to the coolness of the living room with the dogs for the afternoon with my feet up.

Temp 26c

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather events.

Good afternoon everyone and I am pleased to be a member of the Midlands forum. Good to get a local perspective on weather events that effect our region.

No dramatic heat as yet here in Wolverhampton but should the high cloud disperse then I can imagine the mercury rising with an uncomfortable amounts of humidity.

The breakdown on Wednesday, how does that pan out?  With a bang or a fizzle?

• Like 4

Posted

Hopefully some big bangs and flashes ☺️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow during Winter, Thunder during Summer.

The cloud should clear in a hour or so, looking on sat 24.

A very weak 360° halo around the sun now.

26.7°c Currently

IMG_1996 (2).jpg

sat24.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

The Severn Valley often hangs onto cloud a tad longer than places nearby, so I'm not surprised that the sky is still mostly covered with high cloud here. 26.4 °C at the time of writing, and feeling very warm, though the breeze is taking the edge off and it's not too bad so far as long as you don't exert yourself.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

This is west Northamptonshure, and I am seeing very unstable clouds aloft!!!

20220717_124147.jpg

16580582443793764121667913530043.jpg

• Like 1