Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
1 hour ago, lassie23 said:

People are still hunting for cold in the MOD thread, apparently it is looking good for the second half of February

Maybe for February 2023?!  2022?  Erm doubt it.....

13 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

So true, I think it's because it's been very dry so it's dust/sand I guess.  I had my car washed 5 days a go and you wouldn't think so to look at it now

They can sod off, I'm ready for spring, warmth and sun especially with the higher energy bills coming  

Don't think you have many worries about using too much energy for heating in the coming months!  However, the way the climate is, it wouldn't surprise me if heating will be required in June and then weeks later we have a record breaking heatwave!!

Edited by Don

Posted
6 hours ago, Summer18 said:

One thing I have noticed this January is how filthy everyone’s car is, not sure if that’s to do with the lack of rain or people can’t be bothered cleaning them! 

It’s the rock salt they spread on the roads when there’s any danger of a frost, useful when wet surfaces freeze but totally useless when it’s been as dry as it has lately, I’m surprised the environmental lobby haven’t jumped on its use as it’s terrible for the environment 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
43 minutes ago, danm said:

Unfortunately, completely snowless winters have become a lot more common over the last 15 years or so. We haven’t had a single flake in London so far this winter. We had a great run between 2008/09 and 2012/13, then a dire run of winters between 2013/14 and 2016/17, before something a bit better between 2017/18 and 2020/21, but this year has gone backwards again. 

Still, one positive is that it’s been very dry and quite sunny, unlike a winter such as 2013/14 which was snowless, mild and very wet & windy. Awful that year. 

I can't argue with any of that, Dan. I think it's those, what were once quite common, days of settling wet snow we have lost most? I'd never seen a snowless winter until 2014, now that number is approaching half-a-dozen!

The other thing I never expected to see was a temperature of 100F, and that's now up to three times!

But it's in wintertime where things have gone downhill fastest; cold blasts from the east have always tended to follow SSWs, but we never needed an SSW for any snowfall at all?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Its like our winters in this part of the world have gotten worse in stages. Around 88, then around the late 90s and then around 2014. In 10 - 15 yr intervals. Will we enter an even worse level of rubbish by the end of this decade?

Edited by sundog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I am giving it up to the 14th of Feb, and if there is still no sign of anything particularly interesting on the horizon then I am putting this winter straight into the bin. By that point we may as well fast forward to spring. I know that wintery weather is very much possible during the spring, but by that point it is too late with the longer daylight hours and increasing sun strength. So any snow we may have wouldn't last that long, if not settle at all.

As of today, I'd rate this winter 3/10. There were some nice crisp blue sky days and a reasonable number of frosts during January. Otherwise I'd be giving this winter 1/10.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Not a winter to remember; I can only recall the odd really cold, blue sky day. There was a brief snow shower at the end of November (and I mean brief, but no cover at all) Such a disappointment. Another one down the pan. Any cold now would be rubbing our noses in it (and it's not looking likely).

However, there has been a lack of wind & rain - and that means more usable weather than normal - opportunities to get out and cycle/ walk. And not as much muddy walks/ soaking wet equipment/clothes after a ride.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

So true, I think it's because it's been very dry so it's dust/sand I guess.  I had my car washed 5 days a go and you wouldn't think so to look at it now

They can sod off, I'm ready for spring, warmth and sun especially with the higher energy bills coming  

Whaaaaaat, more price rises, i think we are being ripped off

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

And, as was the case with all that snow, many of us saw it coming. Oh, hang on?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Was just thinking back to last February, Scotland got a half-term gift of snow. Now the only excitement is a cold front with an ice warning. 

meltysnowman.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

An active cold front will bring gales, high gusts, frontal rain and northern hill snow. Behind this skies clear, with a risk of ice and sharp showers of hail, sleet and a bit of snow. It's brief but it is colder.<br/>

• Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

By over 50 ruddy %!! Scary times!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely
1 hour ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I am giving it up to the 14th of Feb, and if there is still no sign of anything particularly interesting on the horizon then I am putting this winter straight into the bin. By that point we may as well fast forward to spring. I know that wintery weather is very much possible during the spring, but by that point it is too late with the longer daylight hours and increasing sun strength. So any snow we may have wouldn't last that long, if not settle at all.

As of today, I'd rate this winter 3/10. There were some nice crisp blue sky days and a reasonable number of frosts during January. Otherwise I'd be giving this winter 1/10.

Spot on completely agree...bizarrely I recorded more frosts in Jan then the last 5...Very dry in this part of Norfolk. We have the sandy soils that help the temp go down rapidly on clear blue sky days in winter,however in Norwich 18miles down the road had limited frosts....Yep 3/10 for effort thus far

• Like 1

Posted

Not seen a moan post for ages so time I posted one. Fed up of cloud, fed up of winter, fed up of no snow, fed up of not much sun, want summer now . Pleaaase??!

• Like 3

Posted
46 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Not seen a moan post for ages so time I posted one. Fed up of cloud, fed up of winter, fed up of no snow, fed up of not much sun, want summer now . Pleaaase??!

Beka, have you moved over to here now to spare us in the SW forum?

Oh and by the way, the answer is ...It's still Winter Season, then we have a season called "Spring" THEN one called "Summer", so PATIENCE...

Posted
29 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Beka, have you moved over to here now to spare us in the SW forum?

Oh and by the way, the answer is ...It's still Winter Season, then we have a season called "Spring" THEN one called "Summer", so PATIENCE...

Yes! You only like silent type

Pft! Don't want none of this "winter" ... It's fake!! FAKE FAKE FAAAAKE!!

Posted
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

With lots of northern blocking lasting all the way and through winter 2022/23?! 

6 hours ago, sundog said:

Its like our winters in this part of the world have gotten worse in stages. Around 88, then around the late 90s and then around 2014. In 10 - 15 yr intervals. Will we enter an even worse level of rubbish by the end of this decade?

Most probably yes, unless the Gulf Stream gives up the ghost!

Posted
9 hours ago, Don said:

Maybe for February 2023?!  2022?  Erm doubt it.....

Don't think you have many worries about using too much energy for heating in the coming months!  However, the way the climate is, it wouldn't surprise me if heating will be required in June and then weeks later we have a record breaking heatwave!!

Air con in summer costs a lot more than heating does in the winter so a long hot summer will be more costly than a cold winter.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

In my eyes - It can't! Back to log fires everyone ...

Just switch everything off in protest. Those energy companies will soon be missing their billions of profit they get every year ripping us all off like they do.

They say people go on hunger strike, how about going on energy strike instead?

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Air con in summer costs a lot more than heating does in the winter so a long hot summer will be more costly than a cold winter.

A long hot summer in the UK is the last thing I want!  However, they are only going to get more and more frequent and sales of aircon units will increase, so a lot more energy usage during future summers.....

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Don said:

A long hot summer in the UK is the last thing I want!  However, they are only going to get more and more frequent and sales of aircon units will increase, so a lot more energy usage during future summers.....

A long hot sunny summer is just what we need. Especially after the dire summer of last years cloudy damp and miserable conditions during most of summer 2021, and a cold dull May.

We haven't had a long hot summer since 2018. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
10 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

That's isn't true, I spend most of my year in Southern Spain and an hours air conditioning is a lot cheaper than an hours heating especially if you heat by electric.

Check it out on Google.

Andy

• Like 1

After the watered down topler on the 12th there is a clear warming trend, hopefully Spring is just round the corner! Keen to see how our summer plays out...