Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
On 25/02/2022 at 19:16, AderynCoch said:

From a wintry perspective, the first half of winter was okay - some mild spells but also cold periods with decent snowfalls. February however has been a horror show, probably one of the warmest on record: lowest maximum has been 4.0C and only two days out of 25 have failed to surpass 5.0C. Five frosts out of 25 is also pathetic. I'm just surprised there was a light overnight snowfall early in the month (melted quickly the next morning of course). At least it's been largely dry and sunny.

Similar situation here. First half was quite seasonal with 5-6 snowfalls. None of them lasted more than a couple of days but it definitely felt like winter. Since then the biggest story has been the strong winds over the last week or two. Had a heavy snow shower yesterday and the day before. Apart from that, it’s been pretty boring, but usable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

One thing I’ve noticed is how quickly the winter has passed. I think a big part of it was January’s sunny, anticyclonic nature. December dragged on the longest for sure. February has raced by. In the future I’ll regard the winter of 2022 as a blip in time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

I'm just looking forward to that first warm sunny day here now.  Often in March we get our first 16-18°C of the year which is a wonderful temperature if the weather is calm and sunny

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
7 hours ago, Earthshine said:

I'm just looking forward to that first warm sunny day here now.  Often in March we get our first 16-18°C of the year which is a wonderful temperature if the weather is calm and sunny

Yes I agree, can't wait to be able to sit in the garden in the morning eating breakfast

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Yes I agree, can't wait to be able to sit in the garden in the morning eating breakfast

Mmmm . . . bacon, egg, mushrooms and tomatoes!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Mmmm . . . bacon, egg, mushrooms and tomatoes!

Scrambled tofu, beans, tomotoes, hash browns, linda mccartney sausages and toast with butter and marmite for me....fresh orange juice and a cup of tea too ha 

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
On 27/02/2022 at 08:30, Earthshine said:

I got plenty of outdoor activity done over the weekend and it felt positively warm in the sunshine...moving rapidly in to spring mode now.

• Like 2

Posted

GFS 06z says  hello to winter in spring again.

Another snowless winter for large parts of the country,what an utter joke.

Only the dry weather in January saved this winter for being one of the worst in my lifetime

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Well as the 'Hunt for Cold' comes to an end for the Winter 2021/22 it's been about as non-existent as the hunt for:

bigfoot.jpg

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Well the last day of winter proper.

The good weather of the past few days has dragged this winter up from its position about a week ago, but still one of the 10 'worst' that I have experienced, thanks to mostly mild damp weather in both December and February.

The rank of worst, for the period since 1980/81 (the first winter I have consistent clear memories for all three months):

1st  - 2019/20

2nd - 2015/16

3rd - 2013/14

4th - 1989/90

5th - 2006/07

6th - 1987/88

7th - 1994/95

8th - 2021/22

9th - 1993/94 (it had some interesting snow but was also extremely wet)

10th -  1999/2000

Summary:

December - dull and damp. Changeable and sometimes windy with temps not far from average for 10 days; then mild and damp, briefly cold and dry before mild and damp again.

January - the best of the three months. Mild and wet start becoming frosty and dry, though daytime temps were never really cold except a few days after mid-month.

February - very mild, zonal and cloudy. Very windy for about a week. Storm Eunice the most notable feature. Wet at times. Didn't seem as desperately dull and gloomy as 2019/20 though, with better light levels during the day.

As for the best, in the same period:

1st - 1984/85

2nd - 1986/87

3rd - 1985/86

4th - 1981/82

5th - 1990/91

6th - 1995/96

7th - 2008/09

8th - 2009/10

9th - 2010/11

10th - 2012/13

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

The forecast for early March seems to be rather variable: seems to be dominated by ill-defined patterns and often rather cold. Risk of Atlantic coming back in 10 days time but maybe too early to be sure?

It does however look like March will not be the mild-to-warm and dry month I expected, but something more changeable but perhaps in a rather ill-defined way rather than the rampant zonality of recent weeks. A rare example of changeable weather in both Feb and March if that comes to pass; I believe the last time this happened was 1989.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Winter index for the ten poorest winters here for wintry weather in the last 35 years:

2016/17: 26.1
2007/08: 25.7
2015/16: 24.4
1997/98: 20.3
2006/07: 19.7
2019/20: 18.0
2021/22: 17.9
2013/14: 8.0
1989/90: 8.0
1988/89: 7.7

Just about sums it up really, down there with the absolute worst. The only snowcover at 0900 was a brief unmeasurable cover that lasted barely 4 hours on 2nd December. There was also a temporary dusting last Saturday (19th Feb).

Its also notable that five of that list are in the last 8 years. Says it all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
28 minutes ago, reef said:

Winter index for the ten poorest winters here for wintry weather in the last 35 years:

2016/17: 26.1
2007/08: 25.7
2015/16: 24.4
1997/98: 20.3
2006/07: 19.7
2019/20: 18.0
2021/22: 17.9
2013/14: 8.0
1989/90: 8.0
1988/89: 7.7

Just about sums it up really, down there with the absolute worst. The only snowcover at 0900 was a brief unmeasurable cover that lasted barely 4 hours on 2nd December. There was also a temporary dusting last Saturday (19th Feb).

Its also notable that five of that list are in the last 8 years. Says it all!

i see a few of these winter indexes on here..but no context on how peoples scoring works?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Good riddance to an awful winter.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I'm only interested in Winter if there's going to be snow and that doesn't look to be the case so quite happy to welcome the warmer weather now.

Posted

I'm hoping for an early start to spring, warmth and sun, god knows we all need to take our minds away from the state of the world and the last 2 years

• Like 1

Posted

Well, that was an awful winter!  Next year will be overseas for a snow fix, all being well!  UK winters just do not cut it these days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Good riddance to a rather tedious winter. Whilst I have enjoyed the storms as well as the crisp and frosty blue sky days we had in January, it still isn't enough to save the entire season.

Perhaps winter will deliver some last minute wintry conditions during the first half of March. But from around mid month onwards, I start to lose interest in the cold.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

winter continues on here unabated ..stays below freezing day and night all this week and gets even colder next week..no sign of spring even out to mid month.

• Like 1

No sign of spring in the models, just a continuation of the last four months, temps of 8-12C, occasional rain and the odd light frost. We usually get at least one burst of 16-20C towards the middle or end of March, let’s hope so.