Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted

Although this Winter has been rubbish from a cold and snow perspective, at least here and for a few others we did have settling snow for a couple of days in late November. It was almost Winter then after all and it's not as though the weather actually knows when we decide when Winter begins and ends does it. I still count November and March snows as belonging to the Winters they precede and succeed respectively. Not to mention there was a brief dusting in early December plus I have seen snow falling in January as well as on Saturday, so that ticks off February for snowfall if not settling snow thus far. It's not been great though by any means but is still not quite as bad as 2013/14 when I think there was just one very brief snowfall that didn't settle all Winter and nothing even in November or March to make up for it.

• Like 1

Posted

I can’t describe how #£&* this winter has been in London, it has company with very worst 2013/14 and 2019/20 it makes last winter look good.

• Like 1

Posted

Interesting fact: At my parents home in East Devon, there has been more sun in the last 5 days than in the month long period from 11th Dec-11th Jan, and the two days of Storm Eunice and Franklin alone gave more sun than the 11th Dec-5th Jan.

This shows again that proper Atlantic 'mobility' being dull compared to high pressure is not always true. Much of the above very dull period in Devon was anticyclonic. 

I've been in East Devon since Thursday and have probably enjoyed it more than any other weather this winter. It doesn't help that basically nothing else interesting has happened this winter, also not helped by my predominant location in Lancaster. Basically it's been anticyclonic gloom (and a few nice days) or westerly, which in Lancaster is very prone to being dull/damp due to uplift, any hint of non-PM air on a westerly there = cloud.

That's a difference I've noticed between Lancaster and East Devon, easier to get sunshine between the fronts in Devon. Lancaster didn't see much sun in recent days until yesterday. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Reason behind mild Euroasian winters of Late - 2019/20,2021/22.

Khodri et al. (2017)

Sulfate aerosols in the stratosphere not only reflect sunlight, but also absorb incoming near-infrared and outgoing longwave radiation. For tropical volcanic eruptions, this absorption causes local heating in the equatorial lower stratosphere, creating greater than normal temperature and density gradients between the equator and poles. These anomalous gradients result in a strengthened stratospheric polar vortex, with strengthened zonal winds leading to positive temperature anomalies over northern Eurasia and sometimes parts of North America.

We now have these contributing factors: Taal Eruption,wildfires etc. Causing anomalous warm lower tropical stratosphere almost like after Eruptions of EL Chicon and Pinatubo,this telefonnects to cold stratosphere and mild Euroasian winters.

t_qbo_merra2_vs_lat_40hPa.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.
12 hours ago, Daniel* said:

I can’t describe how #£&* this winter has been in London, it has company with very worst 2013/14 and 2019/20 it makes last winter look good.

January has saved it being as bad as those two IMO, however I'd still rate it as one of the bottom 7 of my lifetime (others - January year - being 1988, 1990, 2007, 2014, 2016, 2020, as I think I said above)

Posted

I'd put it on a par with 16-17 equally devoid of snow and much frost. Not as bad as 13-14, 15-16 or 19-20 mild and wet wise. 18-19 slightly better but not much. That's 6 winter's out of 9 very mild category.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It certainly hasn't been one of the most inspiring of winters. I have enjoyed the recent windstorms and the frosty crisp sunny days we had in January, but apart from that the season has been quite forgettable. There hasn't been any proper cold spells which is disappointing and I would have liked to have seen just the one snowfall (though we did have a few flurries imby late November)

Starting to look ahead to Spring now; which I am hoping is going to be mixed, with a warm spell or two in April and May.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

A few hours of sun today after the front cleared.Quite pleasant for walking in although a little breezy. That sun feeling just a bit stronger as could be expected now.

Hopefully from the weekend some higher pressure will make it feel even warmer.

If we can't get cold and snow now then why not hurry in some warmth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Had a UV index of 2 for the first time this year today... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

What a waste of time this winter has been with all the teases from the models leading to nothing. Can't wait for summer now, UK winters are so tedious these days.

• Like 1

A good winter, mostly mild, zero snow and not overly wet. Lots of usable days for beach walks and winter golf. Would take this every winter. Let’s get on and have a super warm spring & summer now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, Alderc said:

A good winter, mostly mild, zero snow and not overly wet. Lots of usable days for beach walks and winter golf. Would take this every winter. Let’s get on and have a super warm spring & summer now. 

I'd settle for this Jan every winter, but Feb again the worst, favourite spell though was 27th-29th Nov

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Even seeing a bit of sleet falling from the sky would make me happy in a winter, in coastal regions. Then you get some people complaining because they've 'only' had a few coverings. Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
26 minutes ago, Alderc said:

A good Winter?....isn't that a personal view not fact? By far the worst Winter in a decade. Nothing for those who enjoy the season at all, nothing. 

• Like 3

Posted

Time to emerge from my 1st November/28th Feb hibernation. Six days till March. True. March can be cold with snow. But it is getting lighter now. 6 o'clock tonight. Clocks go forward 27th March. Just four and a half weeks away now and it will be light till 8pm. Snow drops out. Catkins out. Buds appearing on trees. Soon see the daffodils.  Signs of spring all around. Hoping for some early warmth . Good for those winter aches and pains!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markyo said:

A good Winter?....isn't that a personal view not fact? By far the worst Winter in a decade. Nothing for those who enjoy the season at all, nothing. 

Not just usable but in times of record gas prices (which will get much worse) a blessing in disguise. Cold winters are not what are needed with the very real risk of tens of thousands being pulled into fuel poverty no matter how much we like snow (I love snow, but just can’t be bothered with 1C and cold, which is all we ever get, so mild is better) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Opinions eh? Could not agree more, an utter blandfest heap of dog do of a winter. What happened to seasons...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
51 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Not just usable but in times of record gas prices (which will get much worse) a blessing in disguise. Cold winters are not what are needed with the very real risk of tens of thousands being pulled into fuel poverty no matter how much we like snow (I love snow, but just can’t be bothered with 1C and cold, which is all we ever get, so mild is better) 

You're lucky then living post 2000, our winters were colder before new millenium

8 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

You're lucky then living post 2000, our winters were colder before new millenium

Yes but during those cold winters gas prices were much lower and heating more relatively affordable. 

Posted
12 hours ago, Alderc said:

Disagree. A poor winter. Dreading heat and people slopping around annoyingly 

• Like 1

Posted

Can honestly say this has been the most incompetent bore feast of a winter in my near 40 years. A complete lack of anything cold. The closest I’ve got is whilst defrosting the freezer and throwing the ice outside. Even that melted instantly. Void of anything extreme apart from a 30 second squall line on 20/2 which must be a record breaker for not actually breaking up into a light drizzle as it past through. Oh well at least there is the summer to look forward to. Full of yellow thunderstorm warnings which as per usual develop and sit to the west whilst BBC Look East ( Look Norwich ) have a 15 minute feature on the severe storms around the region. Can’t say goodbye to this winter because we never met.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, Alderc said:

I get your point, the lack of heating has been a benefit  for those who feel the cold. But that view transfers to summer months for the likes of myself who are dreading a hot summer, the cost of the aircon usage will be crippling. Some of us can't cope without it like folk like yourself require heating on in Winter months.

• Like 1

Posted

A fantastic Winter bar the last week which unfortunately saw rancid, damaging windstorms. Probably my favourite winter in living memory. If we get a warm/hot spring and summer that would be absolutely marvellous.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I don't even want to see anything cold in March, so ready to feel sun and warmth on my face and to get things done in the garden

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1