Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
19 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I like windstorms

I love them. I'm just an interesting weather enthusiast and it's about time we had some this winter.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
Just now, Nick L said:

I love them. I'm just an interesting weather enthusiast and it's about time we had some this winter.

Totally agree, these events so often impact ireland/scotland so when they happen in the south i find it quite exciting...Wll be nice to have the lively weather for February then march and april a lovely start to spring and a warm sunny summer....fingers crossed 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Indeed i love a windstorm   Even storm Dudley looks like it will pack a punch here  (as it should do might i add)   Fridays may drop further south and could infact bring snow to areas    as you say interestng weather at last 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
20 minutes ago, Freeze said:

At least its something exciting, I'm quite looking forward to this Friday from a selfish extreme weather fan point of view. Beats waiting for snow that doesn't happen. 

Plenty of other extreme weather we could have which is far less damaging and dangerous though. Nothing good about stormforce winds.

If we cant have snow then I'd take usable weather everytime, as I dont like sitting around in the house.

20 minutes ago, Freeze said:

At least its something exciting, I'm quite looking forward to this Friday from a selfish extreme weather fan point of view. Beats waiting for snow that doesn't happen. 

Plenty of other extreme weather we could have which is far less damaging and dangerous though. Nothing good about stormforce winds.

If we cant have snow then I'd take usable weather everytime, as I dont like sitting around in the house.

Posted
9 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Totally agree, these events so often impact ireland/scotland so when they happen in the south i find it quite exciting...Wll be nice to have the lively weather for February then march and april a lovely start to spring and a warm sunny summer....fingers crossed 

So many better things to be doing though than fixing storm damage, but agree we deserve a lovely spring and warm summer...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just can't get excited by cloud, wind and rain. Sun... snow... thunderstorms... fog... frost... heat... cold... just about anything else fine but this week's weather just epitomises how pants our climate is at the best of times.

Now if Friday's low could sink south by a few hundred miles and dump a load of snow on us, then we're talking! Sadly I think it may actually be windy enough for pigs to physically fly!  

• Like 2

Posted
16 hours ago, Snowy L said:

It did just about produce the right conditions for a couple of days and gave some areas some light snow showers.

I was in Nottingham at the time and I think it was the Thursday morning we got a few light snow showers. Nothing great, but better than anything I have seen this winter.

NOAA_1_2014012918_1.thumb.png.2a5bda52b9f43508524e709a7fbae014.png

Yeah I remember that. I was at school and we had snow showers too after it raining almost everyday on the way to school. Then exactly a year later on 29-30 January 2015 it happened again and settled.

I wouldn’t say it was better than 28 November 2021’s snow though and we had a few flakes on 6/7 January 2022.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
2 hours ago, Wynn D Woo said:

Being a weather fan it isn't just about snow though, it's all things exciting. 

• Like 4

Posted
21 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Being a weather fan it isn't just about snow though, it's all things exciting. 

Yeah I know thanks...i like plenty of weather types but wind storms are just about the only one i dont

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
5 hours ago, Wynn D Woo said:

So many better things to be doing though than fixing storm damage, but agree we deserve a lovely spring and warm summer...

Yes indeed. I'm fairly confident about part of spring, at least being warm and sunny as there does seem to be a historical correlation between extreme poor Februaries (e.g. 1990, 2011, 2020) and good springs.

My concern though is that if someone doesn't either give the jet stream sedatives, or tilt it to run NW-SE, soon, we'll end up with a worst-of-all-worlds scenario.The mild-to-extreme-mild temperatures are encouraging spring flowers to arrive early, but then the constant rain, wind, drizzle and dullness means we can't enjoy them. The last thing I'd want personally is a continuation of very mild, wet and windy to mid-March - that would really have an adverse impact on enjoying early spring unless it then turns much colder and nature slows down. Much better would be for the ongoing unsettled spell to be cold, at least, and then have some warm but settled weather in March. Also, warm and wet just seems 'wrong' for late winter and early spring. It's more stereotypically late summer-autumn type weather.

I think we need to consider ourselves lucky that January was fairly close to normal, with frosts, otherwise nature would be even further ahead of itself  - in 2016 the spring flowering was silly early. Luckily we were saved at the last minute by a colder (and mostly settled, at least here) March, which slowed things down and meant we could enjoy spring properly without the flowers disappearing before their time.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

Just can't get excited by cloud, wind and rain. Sun... snow... thunderstorms... fog... frost... heat... cold... just about anything else fine but this week's weather just epitomises how pants our climate is at the best of times.

Now if Friday's low could sink south by a few hundred miles and dump a load of snow on us, then we're talking! Sadly I think it may actually be windy enough for pigs to physically fly!  

Completely agree with this. The only rain that excites me is the convective type, specifically showers and thunderstorms that break out during the afternoon following a clear start, or active cold fronts that separate warm/hot weather and cooler NW-lies.  And as for wind, well a drying N-ly or E-ly wind can be very nice following a damp spell, as I said yesterday, or a short-lived burst of wind on a cold frontal squall following warm or hot weather, but that's about it.

Regarding the Friday storm: never has the margin between something great and something much poorer been narrower than with this low, it seems, looking at the model thread.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Living near the coast, wind storms have always been a favourite of mine, because I like to head to a beach, usually a SW facing one.

• Like 1

Posted

I thought spending winter in Lancaster might be slightly more interesting than in Devo, near the Lakes/Dales for snow, or otherwise more likely to be in a storm track.

However we've had neither. It's just been mostly dull (westerly dominated winter), and often wet. I don't think anything interesting has happened at all (with the exception of Storm Arwen and snow in the Dales which wasn't in meteorological winter).

Now back home in Devon is for once in a main storm track, and I'm up here which will probably find the gap between strong winds to the south and snow risk to the north, so it's just 7C and wet all day, which is all it ever seems to be here.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, Summer8906 said:

Yes indeed. I'm fairly confident about part of spring, at least being warm and sunny as there does seem to be a historical correlation between extreme poor Februaries (e.g. 1990, 2011, 2020) and good springs.

My concern though is that if someone doesn't either give the jet stream sedatives, or tilt it to run NW-SE, soon, we'll end up with a worst-of-all-worlds scenario.The mild-to-extreme-mild temperatures are encouraging spring flowers to arrive early, but then the constant rain, wind, drizzle and dullness means we can't enjoy them. The last thing I'd want personally is a continuation of very mild, wet and windy to mid-March - that would really have an adverse impact on enjoying early spring unless it then turns much colder and nature slows down. Much better would be for the ongoing unsettled spell to be cold, at least, and then have some warm but settled weather in March. Also, warm and wet just seems 'wrong' for late winter and early spring. It's more stereotypically late summer-autumn type weather.

I think we need to consider ourselves lucky that January was fairly close to normal, with frosts, otherwise nature would be even further ahead of itself  - in 2016 the spring flowering was silly early. Luckily we were saved at the last minute by a colder (and mostly settled, at least here) March, which slowed things down and meant we could enjoy spring properly without the flowers disappearing before their time.

Snowdrops are later than in recent years here and i wouldnt say spring is any earlier.As for enjoying spring flowers,half the 80s Springs flattened the March and April daffodills with snow!

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
11 hours ago, hillbilly said:

Snowdrops are later than in recent years here and i wouldnt say spring is any earlier.As for enjoying spring flowers,half the 80s Springs flattened the March and April daffodills with snow!

To be fair I have noticed crocuses are not early, maybe even a little late - but plum blossom is early (earlier than 2014, but later than 2016 and 2020) and daffodils just starting to come out now in a few places - which seems about 10 days early (but might be accelerated if it stays silly-mild).

On the other hand, the weather today is absolute, complete autumn. Still, mild, muggy, damp ground but not dull. Mosquito weather. About as far removed from classic late winter conditions as it's possible to be! If it was November yesterday, it's October today...

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
51 minutes ago, Adam lufc said:

For snowfall, rather than just Scotland. (Usual spots)

Storm Arwen produced an unexpected decent covering for my neck of the woods so there could be some surprises.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

20cm of snow forecast for my area on Friday and 80mph winds

I'll take that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Very blowy out there now taking the edge of the temperature. Have to keep reminding myself it's February! Feels much more likely Oct-Dec.

Posted

Those bemoaning the high pressure fest of much of mid Dec to early Feb.. careful what you wish for springs to mind. Now payback it seems a very unsettled end to Feb. Back to front winter, though we did start with Storm Arwen. An odd winter in many respects.

• Like 1

Posted

Another winter that has failed to bring anything noteworthy in terms of a cold spell at all - and up there with the likes of others in recent years that have gone down as rubbish from a cold perspective.  2016-17 wasn't much different a winter to this one in being mild and uneventful without anything going on in terms of a cold spell - and that was after a very warm September like this one has been.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
1 hour ago, geordiekev said:

Certainly an interesting 10 days ahead. Any power issues from the storms may struggle to find breaks in the gusts for engineers to shimmy the poles

Screenshot_20220216-160057_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-160139_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-160221_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-160252_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-160338_Chrome.jpg

Cornwall Kent/South Coast and here in the Thames Estuary have got to be the most snowless regions of the UK no hope of that changing based on this. Im so glad I went to the Highlands in December saw 2 days of snow wish I could spend the winters up there and summers down here in Kent and Sussex sunniest part of the country where both my maternal grandparents are also from (dads from Mauritius) my fave overseas winter destination some of the loveliest beaches and food around 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.
1 hour ago, Mariescb said:

Storm Arwen produced an unexpected decent covering for my neck of the woods so there could be some surprises.

Yes and me .... Snow after Arwen

Posted
35 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Cornwall Kent/South Coast and here in the Thames Estuary have got to be the most snowless regions of the UK no hope of that changing based on this. Im so glad I went to the Highlands in December saw 2 days of snow wish I could spend the winters up there and summers down here in Kent and Sussex sunniest part of the country where both my maternal grandparents are also from (dads from Mauritius) my fave overseas winter destination some of the loveliest beaches and food around 

Kent and the Thames Estuary used to be snowy regions of the UK.  Not in recent years though, apart from the 2018 BFTE.  Looks like the final chance of getting snow in the south later this week has gone and will go down as a snowless winter here now.

Edited by Don