Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2021-22 Chat, Moans and ramps thread

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
7 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I don't even want to see anything cold in March, so ready to feel sun and warmth on my face and to get things done in the garden

Yep, after what seems like I’ve been stuck in a dark cold tunnel for months Um ready for Spring . But something tells me it’s not going to be a straight forward route to Spring just has it’s been a frustrating winter for cold lovers. Ah well it’s the British weather which makes it a talking point

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Today nicely illustrates the problem with our winters.

Bad though the windstorms, and days of continuous heavy rain, are, they are perhaps not the clincher.

Too much wishy-washy weather with dishwater skies and poorly defined clouds in what are supposed to be 'polar' airmasses. Odd drizzle-showers with no sun in between, rather than classic Pm weather of strong sun and well defined Cu/Cb clouds.

Keep the windstorms and active fronts, but make the weather in between better (colder, clearer, more frosts, realistic chance of snow showers) and our winters would be a good deal better. Not my ideal, but a good deal better.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Today nicely illustrates the problem with our winters.

Bad though the windstorms, and days of continuous heavy rain, are, they are perhaps not the clincher.

Too much wishy-washy weather with dishwater skies and poorly defined clouds in what are supposed to be 'polar' airmasses. Odd drizzle-showers with no sun in between, rather than classic Pm weather of strong sun and well defined Cu/Cb clouds.

Keep the windstorms and active fronts, but make the weather in between better (colder, clearer, more frosts, realistic chance of snow showers) and our winters would be a good deal better. Not my ideal, but a good deal better.

The airstream ahead of the advancing front is a mix of tropical maritime/returning polar maritime hence the cloud. The polar maritime cleaner air will arrive behind the cold front along with notably cold uppers.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

amazing day having an hour or so of sunshine after lunch and it starts to overcast which now is fully clouded, what a great day I hope it continues like this

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Classic case of ambiguous/unclear/misleading information on the bbc weather app symbols. Today , just now 11:11am on 24th it is showing heavy snow showers for London. When you click on it you see that the chance of precipitation is ....9% ??

So just looking at the symbol  you would get the incorrect impression that we are in for heavy snow showers today. Less than a 1 in 10 chance of it actually happening. I think that percentages should be shown next to the symbols so that people have a clearer idea of 'the balance of probabilities'

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

Bring on spring. I've no interest in looking for cold or any such nonsense now. 

• Like 2

Posted

We’ve just had a sudden bout of snow! ❄️ It only lasted about 10 minutes and it it melting away. It’s the warmest snowfall I can recall as it was 6C when it started and now has dropped to 3C.

Posted
On 23/02/2022 at 08:39, Azazel said:

A fantastic Winter bar the last week which unfortunately saw rancid, damaging windstorms. Probably my favourite winter in living memory. If we get a warm/hot spring and summer that would be absolutely marvellous.

For me, it begs the question how did you get interest in the weather in the first place, if last winter was your favourite? There was nothing going for it apart from the windstorms and I am not a gale fan but at least it brought interest to what was a tedious winter.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, minus10 said:

Classic case of ambiguous/unclear/misleading information on the bbc weather app symbols. Today , just now 11:11am on 24th it is showing heavy snow showers for London. When you click on it you see that the chance of precipitation is ....9% ??

So just looking at the symbol  you would get the incorrect impression that we are in for heavy snow showers today. Less than a 1 in 10 chance of it actually happening. I think that percentages should be shown next to the symbols so that people have a clearer idea of 'the balance of probabilities'

The MeteoGroup graphics for snowfall are always exagerrated. I've seen vast swathes of white over central and southern england with air temps of 4-6c, they are completely unreliable and belong in the Daily Express!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Was hoping for a bit more shower activity in the southern half of the UK today to justify going for a snowy walk in the Brecon Beacons tomorrow, but not sure whether it's worth the drive given how few snow showers there have been.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

This is why I'm not fussed with nw airstreams. Whilst I enjoy the late winter sunshine, we don't get in on any of the action here sheltered by the downs. I was suprised at the 5 minute sleety shower we got, but that was it. Nice blue skies though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

Winter is coming!!

gh500_20220224_12_384.jpg

850temp_20220224_12_384.jpg

Edited by NewEra21
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like after the slightly milder than average January that so far the very mild February is really pushing this year towards one of the mildest starts to a year on the record.

I have inserted below the latest rolling mean CET for the years 1878 to 2022 for the period 1st January to the latest 23rd February period. The 2022 figure is a mix of actual data for January and provisional February data so is subject to change but very much shows what I mean.

Untitled.thumb.png.260c600eb879dadbeb1e440706e73f51.png

2022 appears in 16th position of 145 entries on this list so very much in the very mild part of the data set although at the start of February 2022 was down in 54th position on a rolling CET of 4.571 (based on actual data)

Now provisionally due to the very mild February we have climbed up to 16th position with a provisional rolling CET of 5.641 and could rise up the list still further before the end of the month unless when the actual data comes out we see some downwards corrections to the data which pulls us back down the list somewhat.

I have also included the other years between 2010 and 2021 for comparison purposes and we can see how mild 2020 was to start the year off but 1990 was the mildest start by far. We can also see how far above 2021 we are too and how chilly 2010 was early in the year too.

Only 3 years have sub zero CET rolling means by this stage and they are 1940 (-0.174), 1895 (-1.024) and of course 1963 (-1.459).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, NewEra21 said:

Winter is coming!!

gh500_20220224_12_384.jpg

850temp_20220224_12_384.jpg

Too late imo. Not interested in these kinds of synoptics going forward.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Whilst it isn't the same as it would be in mid winter, I personally wouldn't mind a wintry spell or two during the first half of March. Whilst I like spring and summer, there is plenty of time yet for warm weather.

Cold weather in March is certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted

Manchester Winter Indices

2013-14: 7

1988-89: 20

2006-07: 21

1997-98: 25

1974-75: 26

1989-90: 26

2015-16: 28

2021-22: 28 (up to 24th Feb)

2019-20: 29

1973-74: 30

1987-88: 37

2007-08: 37

2016-17: 37

1991-92: 40

1975-76: 41

1999-00: 42

1992-93: 43

2002-03: 44

1994-95: 45

2018-19: 45

1998-99: 47

2004-05: 47

2011-12: 47

2001-02: 50

2003-04: 50

2005-06: 59

1979-80: 66

1996-97: 72

2000-01: 77

1993-94: 78

1983-84: 82

2014-15: 82

1982-83: 85

1977-78: 90

1980-81: 90

2017-18: 93

1986-87: 100

2012-13: 102

2008-09: 105

2010-11: 119

2020-21: 120

1990-91: 126

1995-96: 135

1984-85: 140

1976-77: 141

1981-82: 149

1985-86: 159

2009-10: 197

1978-79: 262

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Might just manage to go the whole of February without a frost. Another pathetic excuse for a wintry month. 

12 hours ago, MP-R said:

Likewise. Winter had its chance and blew it. Spring now please.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
14 hours ago, MP-R said:

The days are getting longer, the sun higher, and my thoughts too are turning to Spring. 

But then I think back to the fact that the best two summers in recent memory were 2013 and 2018. It's probably just coincidence, but if one leads to the other, then I wouldn't mind a late cold snap.

• Like 2

Posted
On 24/02/2022 at 14:01, Weather-history said:

For me, it begs the question how did you get interest in the weather in the first place, if last winter was your favourite? There was nothing going for it apart from the windstorms and I am not a gale fan but at least it brought interest to what was a tedious winter.

I love warmth/heat and thunderstorms - neither of which are abundant in UK winters which are normally a dreary, wet and grey slog-fest.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Not much mention of this, probably because it won't hit the SE? but been monitoring it since Tuesday, the serious rain due for W Midlands/Staffs area on Monday? looks like a wave developing on a slow moving cold front, been hoping GFS would drop it, but still showing up

reckon nearer time yellow, maybe even amber warning for flooding for the W Midlands

Posted

From a wintry perspective, the first half of winter was okay - some mild spells but also cold periods with decent snowfalls. February however has been a horror show, probably one of the warmest on record: lowest maximum has been 4.0C and only two days out of 25 have failed to surpass 5.0C. Five frosts out of 25 is also pathetic. I'm just surprised there was a light overnight snowfall early in the month (melted quickly the next morning of course). At least it's been largely dry and sunny.

• Like 1

Posted

Its looking possible that it will be the sunniest combined January and February on record here. January was the sunniest of record with 104 hours and February is currently on 94 hours.

It'll definitely be the first winter with two months on more than 100 hours of sunshine. Quite a departure from the 38 hours in December, so still well short of the sunniest winter due to that.

Posted

A change of month and a new pattern change we havn t seen so far this time..

March is still a winter month for weather...And I m glad to see the east wind gradually come in showing up..

image.thumb.png.af34d982f9585b4c2c9db591571cfb9e.pngimage.thumb.png.97862b1744e2ad89694274469cf5c7e0.pngimage.thumb.png.e01a243ee52966fbc63424d971ad775a.png