Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

Absolutely, for the sake of losing a day's trade, the staff can stay home. Less traffic on the roads means fewer incidents and quicker emergency service response times. So I think it's absolutely right that Ireland's shutting down. I wish I lived in a pragmatic and compassionate country. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 06/12/2021 at 21:55, Wivenswold said:

Absolutely, for the sake of losing a day's trade, the staff can stay home. Less traffic on the roads means fewer incidents and quicker emergency service response times. So I think it's absolutely right that Ireland's shutting down. I wish I lived in a pragmatic and compassionate country. 

Better than people stuck at work or in a shop all night, or stuck in a pub for three days.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Raindrops said:

My concern are trees and wind gusts. Not many trees or buildings can handle the gusts. I seen a nice squall line or two will be set up over UK , maybe a funnel cloud or tornado.

We shall see during the course of time.

luckily most trees have lost their leave now

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ross90 said:

For 75 - 80mph winds? Yes it's a bit blowy and you'd expect some travel disruption but not shops shutting. I don't remember that happening here even when there were 90mph winds, people just avoided going out until it eased.

Exactly. I understand airing on the side of caution but as you say prob max 80 mph winds  seems a little ott. 

• Like 2

Posted

I was living in Co Cork, near the coast , back in 1997 ( I think) when there was a bad windstorm on Christmas Eve. Pretty sure that got to over 100mph. We lost a load of trees, and I watched the roofs on several outbuildings get ripped off. We lost power Christmas Eve morning, got it back on the 27th. 

Tonight, tomorrow looks likely to be similar.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
1207barraSATE.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Storm Barra has arrived over Ireland after explosive deepening during the night. A look at the warnings and which areas will see the wild winds, rain and snow as this low churns eastwards.

1207barrapressureMO.png

1206barrashapiroKeyser.png

• Like 2

Posted

Squall line showing up on the back of the occluded front, with a quick clearance to sunnier skies following but showers (wintry over northern hills) not far behind.

image.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Wind is already ramping up here now, quite a stiff southerly, but not to strong yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well I have all the gear I need to keep warm this time around with waterproofs and thermals so hopefully I will be able to actually go out in it and try and break my highest handheld wind gust of 53mph since living here in Brongest.

I have to go up the local hills to get these readings though so its just a case of when to go out for the highest winds which looks to be tonight, but some people are saying the peak is this late afternoon so I am not quite sure yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just back from Corfe Castle. Winds picking up quite nicely here. I hope the Christmas tree I have outside survives. There's a soft-top car parked below it. 

Posted
1 hour ago, MattStoke said:

Squall line showing up on the back of the occluded front, with a quick clearance to sunnier skies following but showers (wintry over northern hills) not far behind.

image.png

Just came through me, was absolutely mental for  10 minutes. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I was out earlier this morning and there was minor flooding around north Dublin and a tree down on one of my routes so detour necessary .Worst winds were between 9 and 10am with the squall line but its bright now with occaisional gusts.Im back in howth so its off down to the pier at 1 16pm for the high tide which should be dramatic.obviously things are bad in the south ive seen a trampoline stuck on a telegraph poll and numerous storm surge flooding in our southern counties .

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Wind at its strongest so far and air pressure just dipped below 970 hPa here in south Tipperary.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's gusty, but nothing unusual here so far. Hopefully some stronger wind along the squall line.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I have to say, it isn't anything noteworthy here. We're in the peak gust time, and its not doing a great deal. A southerly here, usually brings big gusts, so it must be weaker than anticipated?!

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I have to say, it isn't anything noteworthy here. We're in the peak gust time, and its not doing a great deal. A southerly here, usually brings big gusts, so it must be weaker than anticipated?!

Certainly currently not that strong on the wind speed, currently looking like:

image.thumb.png.0a78bce2ed89bc76abda867c5bb622ad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
9 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Maybe the timings out, or the worst is going to be tonight.

It is just breezy here currently in Wales as well but i am pretty certain we are not supposed to really get anything until this evening and into the night hours.

I think it's very unlikely they have got it wrong in just a few hours of forecasting.

Posted
6 minutes ago, wimblettben said:

Maybe the timings out, or the worst is going to be tonight.

It is just breezy here currently in Wales as well but i am pretty certain we are not supposed to really get anything until this evening and into the night hours.

I think it's very unlikely they have got it wrong in just a few hours of forecasting.

Have you tried looking at this morning models? I suggest windy.com and use the ECM and change to MPH for the UK, even has Beaufort scale if you prefer. Anyway, West Cork station, official showing mean wind at 69Mph last hour and max gust 84 mph. So depends where you are. I am in the north east and I've see a lot of storms, when that from went over between 8 and 10 am at times it was extraordinary, particularly on the last edge, tropical heavy hail and rain horizontal with sever gusts.

• Like 1