Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold - Christmas countdown

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowking said:

Just to throw some more chaos in…

image.thumb.png.fa0954f8f2c0515a74d9a535113dd64d.png
image.thumb.png.0cee0b115a4f81f2c0be8816d1077c68.png

MOGREPS sticking with the milder bump during Xmas eve/day, but fairly firmly behind a colder picture thereafter, even in the south in the majority of cases

There’s some way to go on this yet 

Whats the darker blue line please? Op? If so thats an ice day in London on 27th.. against ECM... Anyone seen ukm168 I can't find it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

This is why wait until Wednesday.  Had a quick look, Ukmo is superb.

Have a look at the 850s, a steady and solid southward movement of cold air.  The big day to would be very cold 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
7 minutes ago, Malarky said:

For anyone just joining us this morning… we’ve had a cracking GEM, a decent UKMO, middling ECM, and a GFS that looks to have found a new version of physics.

After a few runs yesterday where the block seemed to be strengthening in all the right places, that signal appears to have waned somewhat.

Nothing disastrous is showing on any model in the reliable timeframe.

Game on. Knife-edge. This is why we love this.

Thank you for this info ??

Posted
3 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Whats the darker blue line please? Op? If so thats an ice day in London on 27th.. against ECM... Anyone seen ukm168 I can't find it

The thicker blue line is the control run - I don’t think there is an operational run for the MOGREPS suite as it’s designed entirely to be an ensemble suite

In this instance that means the Control run is the only run for which the “starting conditions” are not changed in any way - I’ve no idea whether it’s any higher resolution than the other peturbations but I would guess not

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

Snowy ru up to day 9, minuscule change ms around day 2/3 could change the snow area by 400 miles and produce a sustained freeze - let’s hope it trends colder again by tonight and the Greeny high sticks around- there are plenty of drivers supporting longevity of cold so that could we happen 

4DB57D39-965C-42D6-A4BE-41A759ED9A61.png

Beautiful

Posted
20 minutes ago, Malarky said:

For anyone just joining us this morning… we’ve had a cracking GEM, a decent UKMO, middling ECM, and a GFS that looks to have found a new version of physics.

After a few runs yesterday where the block seemed to be strengthening in all the right places, that signal appears to have waned somewhat.

Nothing disastrous is showing on any model in the reliable timeframe.

Game on. Knife-edge. This is why we love this.

Nice...saved me a lot of scrolling! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

The handelling of this low pressure is such on a knife edge and borderline unforecastable that I would stick to Christmas Day MAX in terms of the charts. What happens after that is unknown. If the models don't have a handle on this, they can't make accurate assesments after that period. I reckon there's still about 3-4 more agonising model watching days ahead. Feels like we've been staring this down forever, doesn't it!?  Until then, cold and mild rampers can only dream and make educated guesses (if they're capable!) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

This is a very difficult situation to read, forecasters are scratching their heads even for a Christmas forecast. This is a rollercoaster! I’d much rather be on this than mild zonal. Signs are v good! Get the cold in first and the rest will follow! 

• Like 2

Posted

The ecm op has snow for me as early as Thursday now. An upgrade in the short term for northern areas with everything being brought forward a couple of days. 

Posted
Just now, iowpompeylee said:

This is a very difficult situation to read, forecasters are scratching their heads even for a Christmas forecast. This is a rollercoaster! I’d much rather be on this than mild zonal. Signs are v good! Get the cold in first and the rest will follow! 

Amen brother!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
9 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

The handelling of this low pressure is such on a knife edge and borderline unforecastable that I would stick to Christmas Day MAX in terms of the charts. What happens after that is unknown. If the models don't have a handle on this, they can't make accurate assesments after that period. I reckon there's still about 3-4 more agonising model watching days ahead. Feels like we've been staring this down forever, doesn't it!?  Until then, cold and mild rampers can only dream and make educated guesses (if they're capable!) 

I think Christmas Day is 48 hours to far to look. Cold in Shetland tho.

3CEBD22D-4EBA-45BE-AEA7-25C7D1920B0B.gif

9EA14114-AB6B-4A6C-B7D8-3394C21E48FF.png

463D2D0A-E20A-4FFC-901E-E94E6FAAEE94.gif

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Currently...Foggy

Temp 2.6c...DP 2.4c....humidity 99%

edit....sorry guys wrong thread

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, iowpompeylee said:

Agree with this, my head says there will be a slight shift NW of everything because models often correct in the direction of the flow of the high, but you can't rule out snow on Xmas day anywhere considering the ECM ensemble has a mean channel low at D7!

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Rayth said:

The absolute brakes have been put on the zonal winds 

47015C9B-D875-4461-B6FB-5AA3AACB6FA0.jpeg

Not sure I get this forecast looking at the recent gfs runs 

It’s on her site as current but it’s simply incorrect ……

Edited by bluearmy