Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold - Christmas countdown

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted

Just to inject some positivity… if it can flip that quickly to mild it can flip back to cold just as quick….. in the meantime we will all save on our hearing bills…that’s about all I have for now

• Like 3

Posted

*If* this shift in the NWP materialises then we have to look for Scandi heights in the day 10-15 range.  It's a long way off and very little is showing in the modelling at the moment (maybe ECM day 10 giving a hint).   

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, mulzy said:

*If* this shift in the NWP materialises then we have to look for Scandi heights in the day 10-15 range.  It's a long way off and very little is showing in the modelling at the moment (maybe ECM day 10 giving a hint).   

High pressure over Scandinavia is very difficult to maintain in the heated world we live in . We used to get them regularly but now they either never appear or disappear in a few days 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

The ICON output on the 12z run on Sunday was pretty much in line what all the other models were showing for Xmas Day, so I'm not sure about your claims about the model "rock solid throughout" are fully justified?

1163847455_ICONSun19Dec500forXmasDay.thumb.png.b114dfb2622439c43ba209501291d736.png1901471568_ICONSun19Dec850forXmasDay.thumb.png.de1d49fd587cd36eb6cedf3c1538af31.png

100% justified. If you see what you want to see and ignore runs or models that don't offer confirmation you're going to get in to trouble. The charts you posted illustrate perfectly regarding ICON why it's so good but others too. Just not the "main" ones referenced here so often.

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, mulzy said:

A few have been thinking this way, given the tpv is modelled on the other side of the NH ( and there is an upstream trough) and amplification is still evident 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Sorry for those who are now going to miss out, but it always looked a slush fest at best.

Edited by Blessed Weather
Inflammatory remark removed.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms

Not saying they will flip back at all but the way they suddenly all flipped light switching a light there’s still a chance they could flip back again either later on or in the morning, small chance but still a chance. I’d say the models are still not sure what’s going to happen

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, markw2680 said:

Not saying they will flip back at all but the way they suddenly all flipped light switching a light there’s still a chance they could flip back again either later on or in the morning, small chance but still a chance. I’d say the models are still not sure what’s going to happen

You're talking 48 to 72 hours out. Could it happen? I guess.

Will it? Keeping it real no, it won't at this stage. It would take something really remarkable.

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What's your Bros thoughts on this current set up Mark ? don't see his well informed comments much these days 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

A few have been thinking this way, given the tpv is modelled on the other side of the NH ( and there is an upstream trough) and amplification is still evident 

And the met suggesting a se breeze dragging cold in from Europe and people trying to work out how that could happen. I’m guilty as charged and don’t want this to be dropped by them.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
46 minutes ago, bryan629 said:

Hi Nick, 

There seems to be a lot of wave breaking over the pacific , well according to what i`ve seen on twitter anyway. Do you think the models have been underestimating the strength and frequency of these?  and do you think they are muting the MJO signal or is it a result of the MJO ?. TIA.  

Hi. 

Yes, there's a persistent / stationary deep trough over east Asia extending down to Japan, there now and still be there at day 10, which continually pumps the Aleutian Ridge with the wave breaking you indicate, which feeds into a deep western N America trough (-PNA). Seems a standing wave over east Asia, perhaps caused by MJO stuck in P7, is leading to this very static pattern over the Pacific, N America and into the Atlantic. This means no further amplification moving through into the N Atlantic sector to help us out of the impending Atlantic low takeover.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Hello Everyone

I'm usually in here every other day or so reading your comments on the model output and having a look myself, although i rarely speak as i'm a newby at fear if embaressing myself haha.

Anyway i have been watching the models this week before the flip, and i might be looking at them incorrectly but it did seem that the colder 850's air was decending into the north sea beyond where the isobars where heading between the south to easterly direction where turning and i would of then expected this to then start moving this northwest, i know the isobars are showing the surface pressure not the direction of travel further up but my question is what models should i be looking at to try to understand whats happening above, other than the jet stream well above, sometimes i look at things and think surely thats not possable but obviously i'm not seeing the full picture.

Re the model flip i'll go back to watching you all explain because i don't have a clue well i do a little bit but i won't post what i think incase i'm wrong haha

Thanks to all the regulars particularily those that post throughout the year not just the cold hunt learnt alot off you guys, would name you but i'll miss a few by accident then feel bad. Shout out to Jon snow and his enthusiasm though i do remember him looking for cold in FI around the end of summer or something

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
19 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Tomorrow has been my model target day to tell us what we got for a while, I agree.  A further cold nudge from ECM this evening would be good to get to the scenario tomorrow.  As there still is the chance of a nudge back from others at this stage

BFTP 

And the budge back has occurred.  Up to t48 looks similar

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Oh dear - looks like the models have done a Darren Bett on us this morning as well as the GEFS .

image.thumb.png.b401baafa0218462c30d3db83e9b8802.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow
10 minutes ago, That ECM said:

Of course we will put ourselves through it again, it’s what we do. 

And when it finally all pays off, watching those first flakes fall from the sky is oh so sweet and rewarding during any cold spell. 

And no matter how disappointing this morning might be or how long we have to wait, that time will come again!

• Like 4

Posted

The EPS mean was never that cold for London and it actually flipped like 5 days ago to less cold, showed colder during late November, there’s certainly no reason to be gutted further south as period never promised that much. Will need 12z to confirm but I’ll be surprised if we can salvage anything from this.

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 1

Posted

I went to bed with this forecast for Boxing Day and woke up with this

F7A9C264-3B7D-43B1-8ED5-2A0670A0FF97.png

40AC02D0-8B67-465A-BC10-D3713C4FDCEC.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, The Eagle said:

You're talking 48 to 72 hours out. Could it happen? I guess.

Will it? Keeping it real no, it won't at this stage. It would take something really remarkable.

I’m screen shooting this comment because it’s priceless!! After a sudden flip overnight I’d wouldn’t bet my house on it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

The Rolling Stones had a hit record back in the 1960s , called "Not Fade away ", probably most appropriate tune for that decade as for the most part the cold during those winters did not fade away ! Total shock at the speed of change in the models with the almost complete switch to milder win out. The experts cannot give any real explanations as to why The British Isles as shown on this morning runs fail to tap into some Arctic Continental air mass, yet again, especially when the set up looked ripe. They as some other have pointed out , maybe something to do with global warming ! So here we are at 72 hours with most models in agreement with cold restricted to the NE ( approx from Humber Flue), so it would appear no further advance of cold southwards with potential winter wonderland charts. Lets be optomistic and give the recent woeful model runs another 24 hours to redeem themselves back for another full cycle flip ? That would be my Christmas wish for you snow starved folk. No good really giving you any feedback on the shorter range snow model results as they will not have the data entered from this mornings flip models.

Onwards and upwards, but the feeling from the team is not a done deal just yet as some solutions remain in favour of sending energy south.

C

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Broadmayne blizzard said:

Not jumping down your throat , but none of the weather for the days in question has actually happened yet.

Meanwhile the Met Office text forecast actually mentions snow at my family's  Midlands location for the first time. 

Met4Cast’s own Facebook page put out a graphic only yesterday afternoon saying snow was most likely for the Midlands but suddenly he claims he called his as over days ago 

Edited by MattStoke
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What a protracted, exhausting and terribly disappointing chase. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine

A big uptick in solar activity at the wrong time is my thought on why it’s all gone wrong. I know some will laugh but I have a hunch it makes a difference when a sudden change happens to the output of the sun

• Like 4