Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Looks like a snow turning to rain scenario for most today as the milder air floods In from the channel.

That could revert this evening as we start to pull down the colder air again as the LP circulation heads East.

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, danm said:

It’s pathetic seeing the BBC snow/rain graphics for right now and later this afternoon vs what is actually happening. 

I know that these forecasts are based off latest model runs which may be inaccurate, but why don’t they adjust them manually to take account of what is actually falling out of the sky? 

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Woman, Adult, Female, Person, Shoreline, Coast

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

The forecasts are always worse on a Sunday. I am sure they film them on the Friday afternoon and just play them, none of them work on a weekend  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Just had the little white balls during the heavy burst, totally different to last night ice, bouncing along the top. Love gruaple to be honest, but will melt, although the ice isn't melting yet, but I expect will do once the main rain bank comes over soon.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
5 minutes ago, pages said:

The forecasts are always worse on a Sunday. I am sure they film them on the Friday afternoon and just play them, none of them work on a weekend  

It was definitely a forecast from today. They do work over the weekend. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Just had the little white balls during the heavy burst, totally different to last night ice, bouncing along the top. Love gruaple to be honest, but will melt, although the ice isn't melting yet, but I expect will do once the main rain bank comes over soon.

Does anyone else recall the ice-storm of 1963: constant left trouser-legging rain at -5C? I recall being almost blinded by the sunlight reflecting off ice that was lying on top of deep snow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
3 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

UKV for this afternoon / eve. We’re all in the game as different models have different variations / locations…

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Plot, Rainforest, Vegetation, Shoreline, Coast, Map

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, Map, Atlas, Person

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, Water, Map, Atlas

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Rainforest, Sea, Water, Map, Shoreline, Coast

Looks a direct hit for London. 🤞🏾

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool summers and snowy winters!
9 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Does anyone else recall the ice-storm of 1963: constant left trouser-legging rain at -5C? I recall being almost blinded by the sunlight reflecting off ice that was lying on top of deep snow.

I remember walking on the sea ice just off of the beach... I was only 8 years old 😃

Edited by MetManager
Additional info
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
3 minutes ago, Lampostwatcher said:

The main band looks like its pivoting 

Looks like its inching NE to me. I think pivot point will probably be somewhere over mid or north Kent before it comes round over Essex and N/NE London. We'll see though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool summers and snowy winters!

The frost here has now been replaced by sunshine and a rain shower, temp +2C 🤨

Posted
48 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Immediate channel coasts more likely to see rain as the air is modified somewhat here by the southerly wind, a few miles inland though and marginality wont be a problem. 

Currently thinking London/N Kent and perhaps into Essex could be the sweet spot for accumulations, locally 5-10cm, perhaps higher with elevation where the low begins to pivot. Precip is already more expansive/more intense than modelling suggested.

Hoping that being 15 miles from Dover we are far enough inland to be snow! 

Sleet in canterbury. Hopefully will change to snow later! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm spring days and summer thunderstorms

Just a moderate rain now, very dull. Outdoor temp says 2c But still feels cold, time to put another log on the fire and top up the malibu.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Latest radar v latest arome run just coming out . Looks like the model is slightly underplaying the precipitation.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
17 minutes ago, Tim Bland said:

UKV for this afternoon / eve. We’re all in the game as different models have different variations / locations…

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Plot, Rainforest, Vegetation, Shoreline, Coast, Map

Could contain: Plot, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Rainforest, Vegetation, Sea, Map, Atlas, Person

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Rainforest, Sea, Water, Map, Shoreline, Coast

Snow to sleet and rain event.😒

Posted
1 minute ago, Gowon said:

Snow to sleet and rain event.😒

I’d say the light blue is just drizzley snow or freezing fog. It won’t rain inland, everything is conducive to snow more than 50 miles from the south coast

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
1 minute ago, Mark wheeler said:

Latest radar v latest arome run just coming out . Looks like the model is slightly underplaying the precipitation.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Nature, Outdoors

There is nothing falling from the sky in Brighton yet.  I'm near the Downs, above sea level.  It seems if something does fall it will be sleet/rain going by the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms in summer, cold/snow in winter
5 minutes ago, crazysnowcatz4 said:

In Canterbury it is 3C temperature rose quite rapidly as sleet/snow approached is now probably 75% snow 25% rain atm , not sticking except on cold exposed roofs

Out of interest is there any elevation where you are (outskirts of C'bury) or are you central?

Posted
16 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

63 cor mate ,did you have cameras  then ,or was it word of mouth ,folk tale ..lol : )

• Thanks 1