Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion - hunt for cold Christmas period 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model based discussion - some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family friendly

For a less frenetic look at the models head over to the alternate model discussion

Posted
37 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Certainly looks quite mobile ridge/trough but with the potential of an Arctic high in an advantageous position, that presents opportunities 

also the euro heights seem to be less sustained on the eps this morning in the mid term and fi 

Three large clusters in extended - one is very HLB.  None seems to show a specific feature on our side of the NH 

Yes, it's those iberian heights which are a pain. Wait til summer damn it.. 

• Like 3

Posted

\Woeful output at the moment for cold,if global warming is the cause of these failed attempts at cold weather in the winter then how is it that in other seasons you get the perfect pressure patterns for cold and snow if it was winter.

Last April was dominated much of the month by a Greenland Blocking High,even MET did video about it,,similar in May too,then everything just reverts to usual patterns for most of the 3 months of winter,what is actually happening???

arch33.png

arch4444.png

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!

Caution: Cherrypickers spotted in the area ahead…

GEFS 348

image.thumb.png.698dc25150717701ee05e3d904cea41a.png

GEPS at day or so before

image.thumb.png.18389753570f4e4f1be0084ab3dd26da.png

EPS clusters

image.thumb.png.112873facfa51c5eeb5b140b36aa1b07.png
Cluster 2 is indeed very blocked, good to see these options have returned as they were mostly absent for a few runs. The very +NAO option is there as a strong minority.

Overall there is a weak signal for higher heights to the W/NW around day 12-15. Not unrealistic given the next bout of tropical forcing. We have another +EAMT event occurring and that should propel the GWO into the higher AAM phases. It should also at least delay any return to the low frequency forcing state. I’m also a bit surprised that we’re not seeing more of an impact on the upper strat, especially given the considerable wave 2 pressure coming into the reliable time frame

image.thumb.png.68f1b4c85ba96be3d785a2f4fc83e298.png

Athough today’s GEFS are considerably toastier than for the last few days, though very ‘displacementy’?

image.thumb.png.896b44764267ff9d27c8fdb8ef5959a8.png

Opinion alert: We really need this warming  signal to increase sharpish. Should this effort fail I personally believe the SPV will recover big time and couple with the lower levels. Similar thing happened in v early 2020 and we know how that ended up! 

Just a bit of cope/hope then for coldies whose hopes were so cruelly dashed over the past few weeks.

Not that I trust it in the slightest, but it will be interesting to see what the EC46 does with this signal in weeks 3 and 4. Hopefully it builds upon it rather than squashing it. 

image.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Little signal for any change for two weeks if the 500 mb anomalies are anywhere near correct

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Posted

Exceptional warmth this week for the time of year. Temps reflective of late spring/early summer quite astonishing. Night time temps of 14 degrees in London at the end of Dec is quite something. There is no disputing global warming is causing these extremes we now experience more regularly now than ever before.

As for this winter- I’m not one to hopecast and like to call it how I see it - my thoughts are we will need a SSW to save our winter this year - personally so many of the really positive signals seen in Nov and Dec have readily evaporated sadly.

Only 3-4 months until Spring …whilst the weather this week will make you reach for the those t shirts and shorts believe it or not we are actually meant to be in mid winter -:)

• Like 6

Posted

uk winters now  are basically 6 months  of Autumn weather and temps ,but nobody can explain why we get the  decent winter pressure charts outside of winter

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
1 hour ago, Speedbird said:

What's that got to do with anything ?

Are you suggesting that because past charts were inaccurate that current/future modelling will be inaccurate too ?

Jees . . .

Try this  - as I said previously

I'm done.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
4 minutes ago, weathercold said:

Exceptional warmth this week for the time of year. Temps reflective of late spring/early summer quite astonishing. Night time temps of 14 degrees in London at the end of Dec is quite something. There is no disputing global warming is causing these extremes we now experience more regularly now than ever before.

As for this winter- I’m not one to hopecast and like to call it how I see it - my thoughts are we will need a SSW to save our winter this year - personally so many of the really positive signals seen in Nov and Dec have readily evaporated sadly.

Only 3-4 months until Spring …whilst the weather this week will make you reach for the those t shirts and shorts believe it or not we are actually meant to be in mid winter -:)

And the GFS had us in the middle of Narnia for the 29th Dec last week.

• Like 5

Posted
15 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

And the GFS had us in the middle of Narnia for the 29th Dec last week.

Not just the GFS, it's whole ensemble as well. 

Thanks to the hardcore who keep posting when there is very little of interest. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
24 minutes ago, weathercold said:

3 - 4 months is a whole season though. And it may be mild but 12°c and pouring rain definitely doesn't make me want to reach for shorts and a t shirt!!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Not just the GFS, it's whole ensemble as well. 

Thanks to the hardcore who keep posting when there is very little of interest. 

Maybe it's time we altered our definition of 'binworthy', then. Charts that show us nothing but what we want to see being the first for consideration?

Posted
9 minutes ago, Premier Neige said:

3 - 4 months is a whole season though. And it may be mild but 12°c and pouring rain definitely doesn't make me want to reach for shorts and a t shirt!!

The thing is spring is not 3-4 months away. The days are already growing now and by February the sun gains enough strength to melt any snow that settles (apart from the heavy falls which are rare). This has always been the case but the warming trend that we are experiencing practically makes February the start of spring.

Edited by karyo
  • Like 3

Posted
53 minutes ago, weathercold said:

Touching 16C, and a minimum of 13C is more likely. 
I'm no climate change denier, but a lot of winters have such a mild spell. 1920 saw the mildest Christmas period on record.

• Like 6

Posted

Day 8 from the last 2 GFS runs are quite similar, so broadly expect to have something like this for then. It’s hard to see a quick route to cold from here, those heights from Alaska do deliver quite a punch, so we’ll just have to see where that goes and hope for the best

DDC51770-FDC7-4AF3-AA22-5D52E243BD3B.png

7E08D232-436F-4A79-A9D0-582664EB029E.png
We may be very warm, but the deep cold isn’t far to our NE should we get the flow from that direction at any point!! 

E660989F-6B76-47B1-967F-74885AB1A200.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Anthony Burden said:

Morning all,Gem ensembles mean looking mild for  9 to 10 days but some ensembles starting to drop into

the cold scenario,always remember things change suddenly when weather is concerned.

Seems to change suddenly to mild, like lask week, quite often, rarely seen it flip mild to cold over the decades, just have to sit this out a while. 

It's not as if January has acted like a winter month anymore check out the January Cet since 80s.

February not much better might be start of Spring AGAIN before winter arrives. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Thanks for the elaboration @Tamara. Perhaps I’ve overestimated the extent to which the La Niña supports have been broken down, though I’m going to hold on to some hope that the C Pac has been modified enough (thermocline slope altered) for a more muted impact on the high frequency tropical cycle and AAM tendency.

Timing-wise I’ve been thinking of final third Jan for a bigger AAM drop that shifts the cycle to either a negative-positive one (full GWO orbits with associated variety of  weather regimes) or a fully negative one should the SST arrangement in the tropical Pacific prove still sufficient to reinstate the La Niña base state.

Before then, a shot at some manner of HLB spell for the middle third of Jan. Ideally with an assault on the polar vortex while it’s weakened by the wave-2 attack taking place across NYD... but the modelling is very ‘if, maybe’ on the matter.

• Like 6

Posted

Day 9, the strat is certainly warming up - maybe this mini warming will fall in line with AAM/MJO feedback and smash the vortex to smithereens towards mid Jan!! 

ADFB340F-BEEE-49E6-AF82-B38ACFD406CE.png

Day 10 lift off to Greenland, maybe !!

C217F120-5038-4F19-92C4-678651262D91.png

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
22 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Day 9, the strat is certainly warming up - maybe this mini warming will fall in line with AAM/MJO feedback and smash the vortex to smithereens towards mid Jan!! 

ADFB340F-BEEE-49E6-AF82-B38ACFD406CE.png

Day 10 lift off to Greenland, maybe !!

C217F120-5038-4F19-92C4-678651262D91.png

Could this be the winter of large swings in the models and forecasts. We've had the swing to mild so we are now awaiting for the elusive swing to cold. I certainly wouldn't rule it out. 

• Like 1