IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

I am really happy to see the baren south coast getting some action

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Been an interesting 12 hours here just 2 miles as the badger flies from the S coast of Cornwall.

We started with rain at 11pm yesterday evening when the temp was 4c, it was still raining at 4am with a temp of 0c, but by but 7am it had turned to wet snow with a temp of 2c.

As the snow increased in intensity the temp dropped off to 0c again by 9am and that’s where it remained until the snow petered out at 11am.

The ground was warm and very wet prior to the snow arriving, so I was very surprised to firstly see it stick and then build up to 4cm’s.

A real shock for the birds around here, many of whom were tempted into mating again in early Autumn…their chicks look most confused by it all.

Probably of most interest is the fact all this happened with 850 temps around 0 to -1c....scotching the theory that we always need values at least a couple of degrees lower to

guarantee snow in the UK. 

IMG_0663.jpeg

Edited by BartyHater
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
13 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

Been an interesting 12 hours here just 2 miles as the badger flies from the S coast of Cornwall.

We started with rain at 11pm yesterday evening when the temp was 4c, it was still raining at 4am with a temp of 0c, but by but 7am it had turned to wet snow with a temp of 2c.

As the snow increased in intensity the temp dropped off to 0c again by 9am and that’s where it remained until the snow petered out at 11am.

The ground was warm and very wet prior to the snow arriving, so I was very surprised to firstly see it stick and then build up to 4cm’s.

A real shock for the birds around here, many of whom were tempted into mating again in early Autumn…their chicks look most confused by it all.

IMG_0663.jpeg

This is why i find it amusing that some folk insist that the ground must be dry and be frozen for a week before snow arrives for it to stick, if the intensity is there and the DP is low enough snow should stick to most things other than a salt truck 😉

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters
16 minutes ago, BartyHater said:

Probably of most interest is the fact all this happened with 850 temps around 0 to -1c....scotching the theory that we always need values at least a couple of degrees lower to

guarantee snow in the UK. 

IMG_0663.jpeg

Interesting here too.  Wasn't particularly cold last night but light snow was falling before dawn.  Temp around 2°.  We had heavier settling snow for awhile then back to light sleet.  The last 30 mins have been large flakes albeit with a bit of rain mixed in yet the forecasts and the radar are all saying rain.  Currently 2.3 from a high of 2.6.  It gives me hope that the it can snow even if everything appears to be saying the opposite.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, microclimate said:

Interesting here too.  Wasn't particularly cold last night but light snow was falling before dawn.  Temp around 2°.  We had heavier settling snow for awhile then back to light sleet.  The last 30 mins have been large flakes albeit with a bit of rain mixed in yet the forecasts and the radar are all saying rain.  Currently 2.3 from a high of 2.6.  It gives me hope that the it can snow even if everything appears to be saying the opposite.

Interestingly the weather type radar never displayed anything other than rain here, not even sleet, whilst other times its shown sleet or snow when we've had nothing but rain....I guess nothing's perfect😀

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Coming down nicely in lytchett Matravers 100m ASL Temp 0.9c, DP 0.0c 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Had an eye on the ppn in the channel most the day and it appears to making subtle shifts in a north westerly direction.  I'm no forecaster so not sure if its due to make to landfall later but would tie in with some forecasts for later.

Notice large amounts of Cornwall and west devon are currently looking clear. PPN has been butting against dartmoor from the east but the high ground has taken all the energy out of it.

s2.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Seems to be another slight push north into Somerset and wilts and intensification. So close ... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Snowing quite heavily now, although fairly wet and not settling.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: frosty, lots of snow and good ol fashion thunderstorms.

My daughter has sent this through just now from Exeter been like this for a couple of hours .

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Certainly a right old mixture here.. rain, sleet, and snow. Feels like temp below freezing.

Possibly the coldest November maximum for some years here, although, that's not hard these days.

• Like 2

Posted

Snowing moderate to hard here and settling on the grass etc 🤩 temp 0.5C DP -0.4C my modest hill is paying dividends lol 

• Like 4

Posted

Looks like it’s going to fizzle out soon which is a real shame. Had this been overnight we’d have a covering I suspect. Lovely to see though, seems like forever since I saw snow ❄️ 😍

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Had snow falling earlier but obviously nothing settled and it’s been mainly rain on and off since then. 2.8°C now 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Looks like it’s going to fizzle out soon which is a real shame. Had this been overnight we’d have a covering I suspect. Lovely to see though, seems like forever since I saw snow ❄️ 😍

Last year?

• Insightful 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Last year?

“Seems like forever” 😂 I didn’t quote a timeframe 

• Like 1

Posted

I was up in Four Marks, near Alton just before lunchtime....205m, so good altitude. Flurries of snow were coming down, ground looked patchy white for a while, but that was about it.

Back between Basingstoke and Newbury now with no snow/rain and patches of blue sky.

• Like 1