Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model discussion: Hunt for cold - The start of 2022

Message added by Paul,

Please remember this is a model-based discussion.  Some chat is ok, but a weather model related theme should run throughout.

The guiding principles of everyone's participation in this thread are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

For less chat and a more straight-up model discussion take a look at the alternate model discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot
11 hours ago, geordiekev said:

As you were on the GFS 0z, all the main drivers there at day 5.

Scandi heights ✅

Euro trough ✅

Cut off low moving out in Atlantic ✅

PV on the move from Canada ✅

Screenshot_20220106-050817_Meteociel.jpg

Screenshot_20220106-050914_Meteociel.jpg

For comparison to UKMO 12z,  from a bleary eyed 12hrs ago, for Day 5 there's plenty of comparisons to GFS evolution from 18z & 0z

Screenshot_20220106-164318_Chrome.jpg

Edited by geordiekev

Posted

FWIW I’m pretty sure for the next few days we’re going to continue to see huge swings such as this on the 6z535043AC-480A-4C8D-8E9F-971055F87D2B.thumb.png.6061196650990a4f337ef996ae19243e.png

To this on the 12z

4DA4CB86-1493-4D77-BC8B-927EEB75A39B.thumb.png.b1c071042d11d08a9ba69a698bfd0ca8.png

Both bring cold weather but different routes!! Exciting model watching times indeed!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Rinse and repeat 12z gfs. That said fi creeps closer and very fluid output.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Really not sure why people are getting fixated with every model run.!  Gfs latest is not without interest. Just a couple of days ago, high pressure looked like sitting to our south for next week, now it's building a ridge from Scandinavia across the UK. Okay may not deliver the deep cold initially ,but the high is at least building in the right kind of area. To be honest I'm quite surprised by the latest run/s no one can exactly call in the next 10 days but it's making much better and interesting viewing than just a few days ago.....

h850t850eu-50.webp

• Like 7

Posted

Definitely something brewing for coldies, the GFS is just toying with the ideas. Hopefully we will get a decent day 10 ECM - as in a route to cold

C912A9E8-40E1-41D4-A224-B04B1EBABB91.png

• Like 6

Posted

12z GFS very messy with lows and pieces of the vortex all over the place. Tries to go for HLB right at the end of the run

AO starting to tank again mid month, and the NAO, is trending slightly negative too.

ao.sprd2 (1).gif

nao.sprd2.gif

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

FI shows low heights over the Azores and into the Med which all 'coldies' would want but all we have is a lot of MLB...knowing our luck associated with a lot of cloud but not overly mild and the predicted theme of moving away from a Greenland High being dominant delayed. That's if you believe the current GFS output!

Just seen the above post from BFTP...so what will it be then? strange soundbite to make, a damp squib of a winter it is then! 

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted

Epic FI , remember this is still on 2/3rds the way through Jan. you know, similar to the big freeze in 1947 I know, I know!! 

86A9AD65-BD16-435B-8B0A-55994082538A.png

• Like 8

Posted

Day 9 control looks very good by day 9, let’s see what happens 

4CC2D52B-5994-4C7D-97F0-62A4CFB01AD7.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Snow, Snow and Cold

Really struggling to get behind the GFS after the failure of cold in December, the background signals don't look good 

Really wish I could be more positive but I just think it's going be another one of those events where it gets watered down come T0

Edited by Midlander
  • Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Really not sure why people are getting fixated with every model run.!  Gfs latest is not without interest. Just a couple of days ago, high pressure looked like sitting to our south for next week, now it's building a ridge from Scandinavia across the UK. Okay may not deliver the deep cold initially ,but the high is at least building in the right kind of area. To be honest I'm quite surprised by the latest run/s no one can exactly call in the next 10 days but it's making much better and interesting viewing than just a few days ago.....

h850t850eu-50.webp

I tend use the ECM, Met office 10 day trend & 14 day updated forecast. None of these suggest anything wintry after tomorrow. However, there is still a week or two left of January and quite a few of us have seen some good snowfall today

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Midlander said:

Really struggling to get behind the GFS after the failure of cold in December, the background signals don't look good 

Really wish I could be more positive but I just think it's going be another one of those events where it gets watered down come T0

Agreed. ECM having none of it. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

image.thumb.png.48a2b3578ef77c12bb49b4ace5e3294c.png

image.thumb.png.02c4d30cf80efe3a7751f0cf3707a93d.png

AGW ender! Lol.  I’ll post the pressure chart shortly, it’s t384 so a slowburner…..so it’s 100% nailed on! .  Extraordinary event for the US if that happened.  A double pv

and we are ‘mild’ in comparison.   Look at that….never have seen a chart like that…and probably never will.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 3

Posted

Can we get ecm to stop being so flat this evening and bring in more of an continental flow earlier on cos at the moment thats the best we can hope for seriously!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Evening . Just wondering if GFS is on to something. Last 2 runs have a surface and upper wind flow coming from the east and build of pressure to squeeze out the temporary warmer uppers over the British Isles. If that is the case it is a development at some pace. UKMO latest seems to heading the same way at 144t. Interesting development this .

C

GFSOPEU12_144_1.png

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
23 minutes ago, Midlander said:

To be honest, no model was any good during that time, ......still plenty of time for things to change, and they often do very quickly, even before computer models simulate the output....

• Thanks 1

Posted

if you thought recent gfs runs have been crazy this side of the Atlantic, upstream is plain nuts at day 16 on that op

another run for the bin methinks

the only thing to take from that operational is that despite it again having a different solution to the previous run, upstream it still manages to amplify over the n Atlantic 

image.thumb.png.ad36df5f11fdb87ec48cd63505745313.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
13 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

image.thumb.png.48a2b3578ef77c12bb49b4ace5e3294c.png

image.thumb.png.02c4d30cf80efe3a7751f0cf3707a93d.png

AGW ender! Lol.  I’ll post the pressure chart shortly, it’s t384 so a slowburner…..so it’s 100% nailed on! .  Extraordinary event for the US if that happened.  A double pv

and we are ‘mild’ in comparison.   Look at that….never have seen a chart like that…and probably never will.

BFTP

For sure BFTP ... has the GFS dialled in some earth crust displacement ... the north pole now appears to be located somewhere around Kentucky ... how far south can super cooled 850's get ?

image.thumb.png.596e5b561761e2ca567d5c95cd9d0a2c.png

• Like 3

Hi peeps

Hope you are all well

I may speak in reality here but nevertheless some may not find this post appealing. Trust me I am the biggest and maddest snow lover ever going my family calls me a little kid whenever winter comes and I am constantly talking about when we will get our first flakes. Alas here in Walthamstow NE London we have not seen a single flake yet and I am still waiting.

Anyway back to why I think some may not like this post. I have been on this forum for quite a while I am no expert and have great respect with all the other more knowledgeable ones who share their thoughts. The reality is in here I feel sometimes it’s like the Bermuda Triangle, my focus being here on f1 and day 10 charts. As it is often the case they churn out great output that is 10 days away but alas all this seems  to mysteriously disappear when we get nearer the time. I know this is a cold chasing thread and us coldies are so discontent that anything showing some kind of cold gets us excited. I have come to realise we are constantly doing this chase after chase it’s as if we are rubbing salt on our own wounds all the time. Not saying 10 day charts will not verify but if we honestly think to ourselves what chance is there, I think in reality most of us know that answer. So it’s best to IMO to yes look at what is trending but never believe until at least 3 days away, even then it’s no guarantee as this is weather we are talking about. I am sure if we follow this it may cut out the heartache of downgrades.

Where we go from here who knows, there are hints of high pressure building, but what happens with this high is a mystery that won’t get resolved yet. We may be about to see the coldest of the winter period coming up or it may result in nothing and the rest of January May carry on as it has so far. It is frustrating I know like a lot of yourselves I am feeling the pinch as I have not seen a single flake so far this winter. Yes it’s only 6th of January today and to make an assessment for the rest of winter is not worthy. The weather will always change and sometimes it will change for what we want and sometimes not. We still got a journey to get through don’t know how many signal failures or delays there will be on this Search for snow express but I hope we do reach our destination eventually.

have a great evening all

kind regards

THE SEARCH FOR OUR WINTER WONDERLAND GOES ON

• Like 7

Posted

5th run on the trot from GFS to show a decent cold spell in FI, differing  evolutions but hopefully a case of all roads lead to Rome? Just need to see signs of this appearing on day 10 ECM Soon.. 

• Like 3