Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storm Eunice - 18th February

Posted

He made it into a turn off to some housing further down the prom, got lucky. Here's the full image.

image.thumb.png.504e089df0deeefa27f00f0a23917fbe.png

Edited by johnwirral
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Thunder & Lightning, Snow.

Bit of wind did this 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

From an imby point of view first,the highest gusts since 2016.

74mph recorded,local bin bothering and minor structural damage and tree down,a  power cut too.

Seems like 50mph to 60mph inland over England and 70mph to 80mph on coasts of the West and South Common and enough to cause minor damage were the dominant speed.

A few gusts in excess of 80mph have been enough to cause the more serious issues over England..

A bullet has certainly been dodged today imo.

If some of those more extreme model runs had come off and the predominant gusts had been 80mph to 90mph with a few gusts in excess of 90mph we really would have been looking at a scenario more in keeping with some of the media spin on all this.

In summary,notable yes,but not out of the realms of possibility to expect somthing very similar in any winter or even again in the next few weeks over Southern England.

Edited by sunnijim
  • Like 3

Posted

So no conclusive sign of a sting jet. Of course, if it were very localised, it may be that official stations would miss it. There are a few stations in E Anglia claiming max gusts between 80 and 90mph but can't be taken seriously of course, calibration could be wrong. Maybe late reporting Met Office stations will pick up on something.

That said, some gusts well into the 70mphs in that area (which ECM and GFS have flagged for days), just as strong as many in the red zone, is not to be sniffed at.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Josh Rubio said:

What do the next few days have in store for the UK? Obviously not as bad as today has been, I imagine? 

Wind and rain, break, wind and rain, break, rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

What I've noticed with this storm that makes it memorable is how sustained the strong gusts of wind have been, and for how long during the day. Often with these storms you have much lower average wind speeds, but then very strong gusts. Well the gusts have been long lasting, sometimes going for several minutes. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
7 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

So no conclusive sign of a sting jet. Of course, if it were very localised, it may be that official stations would miss it. There are a few stations in E Anglia claiming max gusts between 80 and 90mph but can't be taken seriously of course, calibration could be wrong. Maybe late reporting Met Office stations will pick up on something.

That said, some gusts well into the 70mphs in that area (which ECM and GFS have flagged for days), just as strong as many in the red zone, is not to be sniffed at.

I did notice an intense horizontal band of precip south of Norwich through Yarmouth a little earlier, but there are very few stations (amateur or otherwise) reporting in that area as far as I can tell. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

welp you know when an event has ended when it's gone from 10 replies within 5 mins to barely 2 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
5 minutes ago, danm said:

What I've noticed with this storm that makes it memorable is how sustained the strong gusts of wind have been, and for how long during the day. Often with these storms you have much lower average wind speeds, but then very strong gusts. Well the gusts have been long lasting, sometimes going for several minutes. 

Possibly something to do with the fact that the centre of the low actually passed right over the UK rather than skirting around the coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Just had another gust over 50mph during a passing squally shower that contained snowflakes!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

welp you know when an event has ended when it's gone from 10 replies within 5 mins to barely 2 

They will be back when they see that the showers in wales, birmingham area and central southern england are falling as snow. 

• Like 1

Posted

I wouldn't say ended just yet, I'm seeing the same thing. Winds easing and then coming back strong. We're still encountering strong gusts in Essex. We also had a brief snow shower a while ago.

Edited by CurtisOliver
Extra info
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bartlett High said:

Not sure this storm was anywhere near as bad as some were suggesting 24hrs ago tbh.

The potential was there to be a lot worse, but to get even this level of forecast for a storm that didn't really start forming barely 48 hours ago I think is good going. Maybe we didn't see those high end gust speeds but what we have had is still bad enough. 

• Like 4

Posted
32 minutes ago, CLH said:

They've obviously not been watching Rufford Ford videos.....

I wouldn't be surprised if someone was stood filming there today. Be a bit nippy at the moment, though.

Wind's picked up quite a bit here. Something wooden has snapped nearby (probably a decent sized branch) but I'll leave it a bit before going to have a nose.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Reports of several trees down in the local area, Two on a main road and at least one on a nearby railway line. Not sure about any other damage yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Out for a walk now things are a little calmer. Interesting place to position your trampoline.11C48F41-74E7-400E-9053-E4057E966A7C.thumb.jpeg.bfadbc6fa8bc19cf91a2f46721463599.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, Bartlett High said:

Not sure this storm was anywhere near as bad as some were suggesting 24hrs ago tbh.

Localised differences. The really bad winds didn't really materialise in the Midlands and East Anglia, I am guessing. Clearly it was bad in the SW but not sure if it was more than a 1 in 3 year event there. However, from Dorset up to the Solent where I am, it seems it was bang on track with the worst forecasts, I think the fact we've broken the English wind speed record on our doorstep says it all. Not sure how those further inland (N Hants, Surrey, Kent) would view the event?

• Like 5