Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Franklin

The PIT

Posted

Severe gales around the 6am mark here..

Severe flooding on the severn higher than 2 years ago,thats saying something with that record jettream breaking all records,making it the wettest february in living memory..

And this year it went from one of the driest januaries looking like drought to this...

Edited by Snowyowl9

The wind picked up around 2am, and my local weather station a few miles away reported a gust of 63mph. There were heavy showers and thunder in the area, but according to the radar, I just missed it by a few miles. Just after 4am, I had a gust of 70mph. It's still a little windy today, but it's dry and sunny.

Lightning Radar from the past 24 hours from lightningmaps.org

show4.thumb.png.c88425ef9c2821f58959a11ec04f78ee.png

• Like 1

Posted

Just finished replacing our ridge tiles, it’s still carnage around the town of Thorne, some poor folk have lost entire roofs and gable ends.

No more tornadoes please, one in a lifetime is more than enough!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Serious situations still on going it seems, parts of Ironbridge are being evacuated as modelling is predicting the flood defences will be breached tonight. But currently Derby is flooding and its only 15cm off their record, but the stations data is an hour old, so could well have already been topped. For a storm that was named late, and only had yellow warnings on England its done a lot of damage to a lot of it.

Rather telling as well is Derby wasn't predicted to be as bad as it is, so the EA's models got it wrong there, hopefully they have got it wrong the other way in Ironbridge and the defences hold.

Edited by cowdog
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
floodedriverbank.jpg
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

The River Severn responds slowly to heavy rainfall. After the recent storms, Eunice and Franklin, there are flood warnings and now evacuations for Ironbridge, Shropshire

The cumulative effect of rainfall this month with the additional cold front torrents, all now flowing down the slower responding rivers. 

Posted
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
  • Location: Allerton Bywater, Castleford, West Yorkshire. 15m ASL
10 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Near Castleford 

IMG_3871.thumb.jpg.5eec78d1d019d94d681dfc78ca3ff4c6.jpg

2 minutes from where i live, the bottom is the main road from Castleford to Allerton Bywater, Kippax, Garforth etc.. it normally floods a couple of times a year, the road is on a flood plain, however it seems to be worse than ever this time, not sure if this is due to recent flood works done further up in leeds on the river aire.  its a 25 minute detour around when it floods.

Every-time a flood warning comes in, the garage on the left, the owner has to move about 20 cars he is selling to higher ground before it floods as quick as he can 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Last night was pretty bad from what I've heard in the industry. 

Below is the Squall line travelling NNW to SSE and this aircraft is heading NNW. London is roughly at our 10 O'clock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
54 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

I heard the wailing of the flood warning siren at Todmorden on the BBC News last night, and it must be scary particularly for those who remember back to the War years. 

I didn't know that in the German town I used to live in they use such to summon the firemen......18 storeys up & that sets a wailing!

I live in Mytholmroyd so I've heard it both 'testing' & For real event!.......it's the slow wind down from the final wail..... then the silence that follows..... that gets me! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I heard the Todmorden one day when we were over that side of the hill; thankfully it was only a test though.

when I was a kid, the fire station in Bacup had something very similar for calling the retained crew to the station.

strangely though it wasn’t anywhere near the fire station but on the roof of one of the towns former cotton mills but it certainly made a haunting sound as it echoed around the town.

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, Gray-Wolf said:

I didn't know that in the German town I used to live in they use such to summon the firemen......18 storeys up & that sets a wailing!

I live in Mytholmroyd so I've heard it both 'testing' & For real event!.......it's the slow wind down from the final wail..... then the silence that follows..... that gets me! 

32 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I heard the Todmorden one day when we were over that side of the hill; thankfully it was only a test though.

when I was a kid, the fire station in Bacup had something very similar for calling the retained crew to the station.

strangely though it wasn’t anywhere near the fire station but on the roof of one of the towns former cotton mills but it certainly made a haunting sound as it echoed around the town.

I've heard them in Ipswich when they were still used for the Cold War. Old WW2 sirens and were tested every year. 

Many were gradually decommissioned after the Cold War and some were recommissioned for flood alerts. 

A really mournful sound only matched by fog horns lol

Edited by SnowBear
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters
10 hours ago, RabbitEars said:

Multiple road closures over night here (isle of man) for trees down. Two power outages in the North of the island. Still blowing a gale but at least it's sunny! Gusts still around 53mph. 

All ferries were cancelled yesterday,  significantly delayed today. Flights also seem delayed this morning.  

Following on ... local public broadcaster reports gust of 110mph recorded over our "mountain" (I'd put the hyperlink to the article but it doesn't seem to want to paste) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, SnowBear said:

I've heard them in Ipswich when they were still used for the Cold War. Old WW2 sirens and were tested every year. 

Many were gradually decommissioned after the Cold War and some were recommissioned for flood alerts. 

A really mournful sound only matched by fog horns lol

Someone around here is reconditioning one, I've heard a few test runs, but first time, I was wondering what was going on, as I didn't know about it.

• Like 1

Posted

Take note that a tweet claiming peak winds of 142 mph at Malin Head is erroneous, the correct value is 133 km/hr which is 82.7 mph. Mace Head in Galway gusted to 139 km/hr which is about 86 mph. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

This storm was actually stronger here than Eunice, despite only a yellow warning while I got an amber for Eunice.

Wind was mental this morning worse than Eunice here, woke me up.  Heard a lorry rolled over and burst into flames on the M6. 

Thought the media were going a bit over the top about Storm Eunice but after seeing footage of people being blown to the ground, planes struggling to land and flying wheelie bins in the south I guess the advice to stay at home was justified, at least for the south anyway.

It’s been a strange winter, very tedious and monotonous but with a very lively end. Three named storms in one week!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
10 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Been sent this on Discord

IMG_3869.thumb.jpg.4df68b92487f3f3fc4fd9c0554f947f8.jpgIMG_3870.thumb.jpg.237c097218850ec8d8fba754bd09f6f9.jpg

Near Castleford 

IMG_3871.thumb.jpg.5eec78d1d019d94d681dfc78ca3ff4c6.jpg

In those kind of conditions your better of in a boat!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
17 hours ago, CasMan said:

2 minutes from where i live, the bottom is the main road from Castleford to Allerton Bywater, Kippax, Garforth etc.. it normally floods a couple of times a year, the road is on a flood plain, however it seems to be worse than ever this time, not sure if this is due to recent flood works done further up in leeds on the river aire.  its a 25 minute detour around when it floods.

Every-time a flood warning comes in, the garage on the left, the owner has to move about 20 cars he is selling to higher ground before it floods as quick as he can 

Dave Throup was always the person to follow in flood events from EA in previous years, on twitter. Not sure if he has retired (as no longer EA)

but he is questioning how this amount of rain ( say nearly a 'short' months worth in 3 or 4 days of winter) 80-150 mm can still cause such flooding issues.

And "From what I can see a 1 in 1 to 1 in 2 year rainfall event in the Welsh mountains has resulted in a 1 in 20 to 1 in 50 year flood event on several rivers. How can that happen? The consequences of a 1 in 50 year rainfall event (which is coming) will be catastrophic."  Feb 21st 6pm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
7 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Dave Throup was always the person to follow in flood events from EA in previous years, on twitter. Not sure if he has retired (as no longer EA)

but he is questioning how this amount of rain ( say nearly a 'short' months worth in 3 or 4 days of winter) 80-150 mm can still cause such flooding issues.

And "From what I can see a 1 in 1 to 1 in 2 year rainfall event in the Welsh mountains has resulted in a 1 in 20 to 1 in 50 year flood event on several rivers. How can that happen? The consequences of a 1 in 50 year rainfall event (which is coming) will be catastrophic."  Feb 21st 6pm

Has he looked at the rainfall in the previous days. In 2007 when Sheffield flooded the rainfall on the day in questions wasn't unusual 41.9mm however 77.1mm fell 11 days later and it rained every day since then and not small amounts either so it maybe the same issue in Wales. 

There;'s other factors like building on flood plains damage to hillsides by two much mountain biking and walking creating new drainage channels. Removal of plants that natural hold water back and poor local maintenance that cause local flooding.

Posted
9 hours ago, Jo Farrow said:

Most is down to us meddling with flood plains and water courses thinking we know it all. A river has a flood plain for a reason, and it can, and indeed will take it back when it needs it regardless of what we do. 

Two events stand out for water course meddling, Lynmouth and Boscastle. Both were due to the rivers been encroached on, the river which is mostly fairly small most of the time saw its banks made taller and narrower as the villages expanded, until one day the river needed its larger volume and it just took out all that had been put in the way. 

This was also seen in the US when they had to remove some of the dams and levees on I think it was the Colorado/Missouri/Mississippi River system to allow it to flood onto its natural flood pains, previous to this it just went round the obstacles and flooded it anyway and far worse. 

In protecting new build developments on flood plains we are now seeing older developments and towns flood far more than they used to where previously their flood defenses would have held easily. 

The watershed of the Severn is huge, and so are its flood plains, tbh, I ask, what do they expect? 

Someone once said to me about encrouchment on rivers and we did a little thought experiment and some back of a fag packet sketches and calculations. I said my garden is 5m wide, and 55m long and imagine it's all concrete. 

I then asked how tall a tank would I need with a base of 1m² to hold the water from a 25mm/1 inch storm rain on my concrete garden. 

A surprising 6.875m tall...just under 23'.

Just 25mm/1 inch of rain. 

Now imagine the roads, the driveways, paths, the roof areas etc, of new build on flood plains draining into the rivers earlier than they would have done previously, what will it do? Drain faster and flood elsewhere further downstream, probably in older developments and towns. 

Our ancestors would be laughing their socks off right now. 

Edited by SnowBear
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Most is down to us meddling with flood plains and water courses thinking we know it all. A river has a flood plain for a reason, and it can, and indeed will take it back when it needs it regardless of what we do. 

Two events stand out for water course meddling, Lynmouth and Boscastle. Both were due to the rivers been encroached on, the river which is mostly fairly small most of the time saw its banks made taller and narrower as the villages expanded, until one day the river needed its larger volume and it just took out all that had been put in the way. 

This was also seen in the US when they had to remove some of the dams and levees on I think it was the Colorado/Missouri/Mississippi River system to allow it to flood onto its natural flood pains, previous to this it just went round the obstacles and flooded it anyway and far worse. 

In protecting new build developments on flood plains we are now seeing older developments and towns flood far more than they used to where previously their flood defenses would have held easily. 

The watershed of the Severn is huge, and so are its flood plains, tbh, I ask, what do they expect? 

Someone once said to me about encrouchment on rivers and we did a little thought experiment and some back of a fag packet sketches and calculations. I said my garden is 5m wide, and 55m long and imagine it's all concrete. 

I then asked how tall a tank would I need with a base of 1m² to hold the water from a 25mm/1 inch storm rain on my concrete garden. 

A surprising 6.875m tall...just under 23'.

Just 25mm/1 inch of rain. 

Now imagine the roads, the driveways, paths, the roof areas etc, of new build on flood plains draining into the rivers earlier than they would have done previously, what will it do? Drain faster and flood elsewhere further downstream, probably in older developments and towns. 

Our ancestors would be laughing their socks off right now. 

Great post, SB. Been saying this for years. Prescott fired the shots on the 'Ignore the flood plain' house building bandwagon 20+ years ago. 20 years on, 'we' still arent learning the consequences.

Flood plains, a natural 'barrier' -

'O' level Geography i think or may have been my 'A' level?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Great post, SB. Been saying this for years. Prescott fired the shots on the 'Ignore the flood plain' house building bandwagon 20+ years ago. 20 years on, 'we' still arent learning the consequences.

Mine was just basic 'O' level geography. Most is common sense tbh though, something planners seem to have little of? 

I just wonder how they have never sat and asked... Why have we never bullt on these areas before for hundreds and thousands of years? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!
16 minutes ago, SnowBear said:

Mine was just basic 'O' level geography. Most is common sense tbh though, something planners seem to have little of? 

I just wonder how they have never sat and asked... Why have we never bullt on these areas before for hundreds and thousands of years? 

Mine was a Gcse A in geography, shows your age

We have it near here, 'Carr' land that they are starting to encroach on with development, there is a reason it is and has only been fit for pasture, you don't even risk growing crops on it, 

It will come back to bite them, some of the old farmers shake their heads in disbelief because in particularly wet years you can't even risk putting cattle on it,

Edited by Wold Topper
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, Bristle Si said:

Nope definitely o level , although I took the GCSE.