Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Franklin

The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

Awful night for sleep.  Wind roaring constantly around the roof and windows and every now and again a more violent gust lifting slates and flapping them around - don’t know how they stayed on the roof.   I don’t mind wind storms during the day but at night I lay awake wondering if there’s going to be damage in the morning.  Mad.  Hoping it’s all going to calm down a bit for a few days but there’s no guarantee the jet streams is going to leave our part of the world for a while yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
7 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

M4 Buoy - 45ft waves. Wow!

I didn't realise the M4 was that badly flooded, although we have had a lot of rain.

• Like 2

Posted

74mph gust recorded in Buxton at 8:04am, hardly slept a wink last night due to the noise here but luckily there's little (if any) property damage reported for now.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Not high tide yet..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Feels at lot worse in this location than last friday was, much more gusty wind and made worse by the fact its bin day...

Pretty noisy most of the night so very disturbed nights sleep - roll on the end of this carp weather type.

Posted

Severe flooding in the Derwent valley, and lots of other places by the looks of things.. minimal media coverage of course because it's not in the South East 

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Severe flooding in the Derwent valley, and lots of other places by the looks of things.. minimal media coverage of course because it's not in the South East 

Matlock this morning, photo's taken by a resident there.

274049246_3813422658882752_5663971193464786856_n.thumb.jpg.d12e95b76253c0b432cef659e6035d8f.jpg274218481_3813422542216097_1357923780753334683_n.thumb.jpg.76f175c010330173d68fdf7b6a7d69a2.jpg273944672_3813422588882759_2716536479950205756_n.thumb.jpg.38262a7954f6cae3bea79151957fbf13.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes it's horrendous everywhere down in the dales

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
27 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Yes, I would agree, a lot worse last night than Dudley and Eunice. Recycling bins and rubbish all over the roads earlier. Signs of it tailing off now and hopefully time to clear up during daylight hours. 

As replied in the North West thread, here in the central Midlands we (at leats I) are worse than Eunice.

Bins had to be picked up 3 times  now ( i give up now).... and woops there goes the trampoline from next door. 

Gusting to the mid 50's.

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

The wind in the night was horrendous. I kept getting woken up in the night by howling gusts of wind. No sign of it letting up as of yet here either, still forecast winds of this strength for a couple hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
21 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

Very windy here still in mid Essex. last evening's squall line was very powerful as it passed over us. At one point I feared we would lose power as our lights were going on and off as well as losing satellite pictures.

I simply don't get all the angst against the southeast. We had it really bad on Friday, with one property in Brentwood severely damaged by a fallen tree, (shown on TV yesterday) and a lot of damage elsewhere.

As far as media coverage is concerned, it was the main point of the news on BBC Breakfast News this morning, showing flooding in areas outside the southeast. Seek and ye shall find.

I find it sad to see such postings that do not reflect reality, but an ingrained perception.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summer days with calm seas to swim in, cold frosty snowy winters

Multiple road closures over night here (isle of man) for trees down. Two power outages in the North of the island. Still blowing a gale but at least it's sunny! Gusts still around 53mph. 

All ferries were cancelled yesterday,  significantly delayed today. Flights also seem delayed this morning.  

Edited by RabbitEars
To add in ferries and flights impacts
  • Like 1

Posted

Not a lot of wind here with this storm, except some gusts associated with graupel showers.

The centre of the storm likely crossed close to my position, the barometer went just a bit down before jumping up again.

image.thumb.png.4633f5adc9ace57cbded1db4bc84365e.png

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Very windy here still in mid Essex. last evening's squall line was very powerful as it passed over us. At one point I feared we would lose power as our lights were going on and off as well as losing satellite pictures.

I simply don't get all the angst against the southeast. We had it really bad on Friday, with one property in Brentwood severely damaged by a fallen tree, (shown on TV yesterday) and a lot of damage elsewhere.

As far as media coverage is concerned, it was the main point of the news on BBC Breakfast News this morning, showing flooding in areas outside the southeast. Seek and ye shall find.

I find it sad to see such postings that do not reflect reality, but an ingrained perception.

Kind Regards

Dave

Absolutely no angst against you other any other residents of the SE buddy. I'm not downplaying the effect these storms have had in your region at all.

Maybe it's a mis-perception, but it often seems like if a weather event isn't happening in SE, it doesn't get nearly as much focus from the media or even the Met Office. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Wind certainly increased here last few hours, gust of 45 mph in last hour.

Severe flood warnings taken down for near Didsbury south of Manchester, but still 187 Flood Warnings in force, mostly in the north of England and along Rivers Severn and Wye in the west. 13 Flood warnings in Wales.

Posted

My family are all from South Yorkshire - but I live in the South East. Weather events in the SE probably do get more coverage generally, but it's because they can affect far more people in a small concentrated area of population, London for example has almost nine million inhabitants alone, not counting the wider South East - nearly twice as many people in one city as say the whole of Scotland.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mike Machin said:

My family are all from South Yorkshire - but I live in the South East. Weather events in the SE probably do get more coverage generally, but it's because they can affect far more people in a small concentrated area of population, London for example has almost nine million inhabitants alone, not counting the wider South East - nearly twice as many people in one city as say the whole of Scotland.

I don’t think there is any bias, especially from the BBC haha, but perhaps as well as higher population we are not really used to seeing high winds down here, just like 1c of snow! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

I have no idea why there was no yellow for the central belt last night. 1am - 3am was probably the strongest the winds have been this year peaking in the mid to high 50s. I saw a few lightning strikes too along with frequent heavy showers, it must have been one of the rainiest days of the winter. It was definitely a more noticeable stormy spell than Dudley which we had an amber warning for. It's things like that which make people question the mets warning system. Their wind strengths even during the storm were too low as well, for once the GFS actually came out as most accurate for timing and severity. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Thunderstorms and Heatwaves

After this very stormy week, are we expecting things to calm down again or are we looking at a possible new storm in the near future?

Posted
32 minutes ago, RCT said:

After this very stormy week, are we expecting things to calm down again or are we looking at a possible new storm in the near future?

Should be calmer but still wet and windy occasionally, potentially very windy by Sunday/Monday though with severe gales a possibility once again, most likely for northern Ireland and Scotland.