Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 hours ago, Weather-history said:

"They don't make storms like they use to"

From August 22/23  editions of the Liverpool Echo and Manchester Evening News of the thunderstorms that hit the cities and other areas.

Liverpool Echo

x833R6i.jpgo79xEG2.jpgZ91MIsN.jpgBe4uDoD.jpg    0F7W3Oo.jpg

Manchester Evening News

r0BhMBc.jpgkUwOAyS.jpgnFTFH9k.jpgvNVgtts.jpglmAOrQE.jpg

Nice to see old photos of flooding in my home down.

The general look of St James Street has changed little since that photo was taken and whether it’s the Irwell overflowing or heavy run off from the surrounding higher ground, it still floods the town centre every few years.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
11 minutes ago, SnowThunder said:

image.thumb.png.589b16ccb0aa28b516ceed86afe2ff84.png

Cumbria is obviously the wettest area to be up nearly 5% everywhere else is still down though despite the rain, getting ever so close to the 50% mark

Below 50% for our nearby reservoirs on the Pennines. I think if we will have a hosepipe ban soon enough should we get another dry spell. If I'm not mistaken the Liverpool area gets their water from Lake Vrynwy in Wales and about three quarters of Greater Manchester gets it from the Lake District, those areas aren't too terrible at the minute and more than half full. The rest of us in the far eastern part of the city gets it from Pennine reservoirs which are evidently running low. You can see for yourself when you drive there as I have family that live in Saddleworth and visually when you look at them you can tell they are more than half empty.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Frost HoIIow said:

Below 50% for our nearby reservoirs on the Pennines. I think if we will have a hosepipe ban soon enough should we get another dry spell. If I'm not mistaken the Liverpool area gets their water from Lake Vrynwy in Wales and about three quarters of Greater Manchester gets it from the Lake District, those areas aren't too terrible at the minute and more than half full. The rest of us in the far eastern part of the city gets it from Pennine reservoirs which are evidently running low. You can see for yourself when you drive there as I have family that live in Saddleworth and visually when you look at them you can tell they are more than half empty.

Yep it's Vrynwy and Celyn via the Dee for Liverpool, gets pumped to Prescott with a filter site in Owestry for the Vrnwy pipe or at least the youtube vids I've been watching on their construction says that's how they work (shame we had to drown some villages particularly in Celyn)

• Like 6

Posted
29 minutes ago, SnowThunder said:

image.thumb.png.589b16ccb0aa28b516ceed86afe2ff84.png

Cumbria is obviously the wettest area to be up nearly 5% everywhere else is still down though despite the rain, getting ever so close to the 50% mark

NW-SE divide in evidence in the NW... reservoirs healthier here than this time last year..

Another dull day here. Max again not making 20 degrees. All very hum drum.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It’s doubtful that the rain of the last few days will have even reached the feeder streams for the reservoirs, let alone done anything to top them up but at least the week on week drop looked to have slowed as the weather cooled after the record heat of mid month.

As for water levels; I suppose it’s more symbolic than anything that the average Pennine reservoir has dropped below half full but with little sign of substantial rain over the next week or two, restrictions can’t be far off, especially in parts of the region which can’t draw from the main Hawswater/Thirlmere aqueduct.

• Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It’s doubtful that the rain of the last few days will have even reached the feeder streams for the reservoirs, let alone done anything to top them up but at least the week on week drop looked to have slowed as the weather cooled after the record heat of mid month.

As for water levels; I suppose it’s more symbolic than anything that the average Pennine reservoir has dropped below half full but with little sign of substantial rain over the next week or two, restrictions can’t be far off, especially in parts of the region which can’t draw from the main Hawswater/Thirlmere aqueduct.

I suspect on average river levels and reservoirs hit their low point in early August.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, SnowThunder said:

Yep it's Vrynwy and Celyn via the Dee for Liverpool, gets pumped to Prescott with a filter site in Owestry for the Vrnwy pipe or at least the youtube vids I've been watching on their construction says that's how they work (shame we had to drown some villages particularly in Celyn)

I think most of Cheshire gets it from Vrynwy if I’m not mistaken. Pretty sure we do here.

• Like 5

Posted

Hopefully after todays cloudy, damp start up here, things will improve as the day goes on.

the forecast seems to think so although equally it shows the threat of showers towards evening and overnight.

after that though, a decent usable weekend looks to be coming up and no signs of substantial rain for the foreseeable.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Another largely sunny start here.  Cooler last night than the previous one, a low of 12.7C. Possibility of showers today in the forecast, but I wonder whether we will escape them here. The showers that are around in the region at the moment are nowhere near here and they are supposed to move away as we head into the afternoon.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

I just hope the UKMO charts for next week are to go to plan as NW England looks primed for the hot 🔥 spot.

C

• Like 6

Posted
On 03/08/2022 at 08:43, Weather-history said:

From August 22/23  editions of the Liverpool Echo and Manchester Evening News of the thunderstorms that hit the cities and other areas.

Liverpool Echo

Manchester Evening News

1958? Two weeks later, it was the turn of the SE to have a 'truly dramatic' storm (Eden). And at the start of July 1958, Sheffield was badly flooded by 'the worst storm since the great flood of 1864' (Eden). As you say, they don't make storms like they used to!

On 03/08/2022 at 08:43, Weather-history said:

Liverpool Echo

Manchester Evening News

1958? Two weeks later, it was the turn of the SE to have a 'truly dramatic' storm (Eden). And at the start of July 1958, Sheffield was badly flooded by 'the worst storm since the great flood of 1864' (Eden). As you say, they don't make storms like they used to!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Sat on Perranporth beach again, generally sunny but when the occasional cloud blocks the sun, its a bit chilly in the stiff breeze.

• Like 7

Posted

A nice day apart from a light shower middle day. I cut the back lawn this afternoon and was surprised how much it was needed. Even our hitherto very brown front lawn will need a trim before long, such is the influence of the small amounts of rain we've had in the NW since the very hot spell in mid-July.

Edit - I've been away so not sure whether 'small amounts' (of rain) is correct in the south of the region.

Edited by A Face like Thunder
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Another fabulous day here, mostly sunny with the temperature peaking at 18.6C early in the afternoon, but felt pleasant enough and warm out even with the breeze. Things look set to get slowly warmer day on day as we head through the weekend into next week. Hopefully no extreme heat, low to mid 20s celcius will be more than sufficient for me.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
35 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

Another fabulous day here, mostly sunny with the temperature peaking at 18.6C early in the afternoon, but felt pleasant enough and warm out even with the breeze. Things look set to get slowly warmer day on day as we head through the weekend into next week. Hopefully no extreme heat, low to mid 20s celcius will be more than sufficient for me.

Hopefully the best week of weather of the summer so far the NW placed for a good run of days with sunny spells & temps in the mid- high 20’s (22-28c) perhaps pushing 30c later in the week in the south of the region but I’m hoping not the extreme heat seen last month ☀️ 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A decent day overall. Had a shower late morning which wet the ground but once the sun came out not long after it soon dried up in minutes given there was a fresh breeze as well. Not a bad outlook going forward looks like nothing too hot but just on the bearable side. Hopefully Autumn will be a wet one to give the reservoirs a helping hand. Just as long as it doesn't carry on into Winter to scupper our chances of the white stuff.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 7

Posted

A pleasant day but rather cool for early August. There is chilly air aloft and tye next couple of nights will be much cooler than many a recent one.

Warming up into early next week and looking a dry outlook..perhaps a shower or two tomorrow and Saturday. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Now I wonder... Looks like there is a significant cold pool passing over aloft in early hours of tomorrow morning with T500s down to -26 for a time. Signal for ocean effect showers. Seems similar to 10th Aug 2018. Chance of lightning with that sort of lapse rate. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think I will get up in the night

• Like 4

Posted

20-21c today sunny ☀️ afternoon in Buxton and around with relatives over from America…lovely afternoon tea sat in the sun… roadworks getting in/out bit of a nightmare atm… at least it was dry and sunny ☀️ 👍👌

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, WillinGlossop said:

20-21c today sunny ☀️ afternoon in Buxton and around with relatives over from America…lovely afternoon tea sat in the sun… roadworks getting in/out bit of a nightmare atm… at least it was dry and sunny ☀️👍👌

Surprised It was warmer in Buxton than it was here. High of 18° here and humidity got down as low as 50% and it was quite breezy too so definitely a much fresher feel compared to recent days.

Mostly sunny too, had a couple of showers in the morning but dry after that. Quite a nice day, really.

We’re in for a cooler night too, it’s 12.0°C at exactly 00:00 midnight.

Nice to see the moon this evening.

The week ahead looks pleasant with partly cloudy conditions and highs of 22-24C.

F74CD40E-5E89-463C-BED2-1C38BD09BB5F.jpeg

22E00359-2C89-4045-AB75-3CF619AA2C27.png

• Like 4