Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Monday, one can dream.     

Screenshot_20220809-172829_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
6 hours ago, Joe Snow said:

Amber Extreme Heat Warning fringing into the NW - Cheshire & Gtr MCR under the warning Thurs- Sat. 

140DAB58-9DD6-49BE-AAD4-EAE5A1378E4A.jpeg

That does not make for pleasant viewing! I really hope we don't have to endure all this heat again without a decent thundery breakdown. Not even one rumble of thunder heard here this year, an extremely poor year for convective activity in this area so far.

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, severe snowstorm said:

That does not make for pleasant viewing! I really hope we don't have to endure all this heat again without a decent thundery breakdown. Not even one rumble of thunder heard here this year, an extremely poor year for convective activity in this area so far.

I’m working Thursday to Sunday too. Horrendous. I was able to stay inside and shelter away from the last heatwave but no such luck this time.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

GFS 12z has 34-35c across the S of the region on Sunday ☀️🥵👀 

• Like 3

Posted
52 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Not sure history bears this out though. Before 2006, most of our highest temps were in August- certainly in this area.

The all-time UK record was in August for a long time, and the first 100F was on August 10th- in the 2nd week of the month.

Certainly in this area it's been easier to record 30C in August than July historically- before 2006 anyway.

On average August is only marginally cooler than July.

Of course after mid-month it gets harder to record very high temps- but I think at this stage of the month, the chances haven't diminished much at all.

I was saying can easily achieve absolute maxima every bit as high as can occur in July, just that the hours of very high maxima reduce slightly especially later in the month.

Let's say absolute max 32 degrees, perhaps in July through to mid Aug.. max will stay above 28 degrees from about 12pm to 7pm by late August may expect this to be a shorter window of say 1.30 to 5.30pm..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just reached maximum temperature now 26.1°C. I imagine that will be the maximum anyway. It’s all about the sea breeze front and airmass. Look at 19th July as an example. Peak temperature was at 1 pm in Merseyside and all that happened was the wind direction changed by 60°. The airmass didn’t even cool significantly until later. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

It looks like it just about scraped 27c here which given that it was still 11c at 10am is some going and way above what the BBC breakfast forecast was showing.

as already said, some very high temperatures already forecast for later in the week and given that today was supposed to be low 20’s, it’s going to be an uncomfortable few days.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

It looks like it just about scraped 27c here which given that it was still 11c at 10am is some going and way above what the BBC breakfast forecast was showing.

as already said, some very high temperatures already forecast for later in the week and given that today was supposed to be low 20’s, it’s going to be an uncomfortable few days.

Still hoping not going to be too bad! meant to be really only for the south

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Still hoping not going to be too bad! meant to be really only for the south

Aye living at this altitude has its advantages and I can’t see it topping 30c here.

that’s high enough though and would probably be the max across 90% of my summers but we managed 37c on sweaty Tuesday in July which I can’t see being repeated anytime soon.

• Like 5

Posted

Just saw National forecast on beeb… could be low 30s tomorrow… 34c Birmingham to north midlands possible… topped out at 27.2c… nice light breeze and 25.4c… pleasant… burritos 🌯 in oven 👌

with wind shifting se Friday/Saturday could be warmest to west… plus foehn effect coming into play again

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

24.6C was the max here, 25C at the airport. 26.8C upstairs. A/C will be switched on later in bedroom.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

24°C Perranporth 

20220809_191811.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Mrs Iand61 and our daughter have gone away for a girly break to the Canaries so it’s a bit ironic that it’ll probably be warmer here than it is there.

but I’d gladly take 27c and laying by a pool drinking beer over 30c and working any day.

• Like 6

Posted

Maxed out at 26.5C here in the end today. Looks like we'll be nudging 30C tomorrow. 

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Winter can't come soon enough for me as thunderstorms are looking as elusive as ever in this hot spell, just relentless blue sky and hot sun. What happened to a couple of hot days and on the 2nd clouds would bubble up and things go bang? Now we are turning into a dust bowl. Looking forward to late September when the leaves are visibly on the turn!

• Like 5

Posted
29 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

Winter can't come soon enough for me as thunderstorms are looking as elusive as ever in this hot spell, just relentless blue sky and hot sun. What happened to a couple of hot days and on the 2nd clouds would bubble up and things go bang? Now we are turning into a dust bowl. Looking forward to late September when the leaves are visibly on the turn!

Mmm could be some hefty downpours early next week.. hold tight... just 5 days to get through!

• Like 6

Posted

Seeing how long I can last in the upcoming spell without need to draw blinds and curtains. Today indoor temp in full sunshine reached nearly 24 degrees. Bearable, but that was with max 22 degrees. I suspect 25 degrees outside may be the limit.. so tomorrow probably OK..  but will have to give in by Thursday..

• Like 6

Posted
32 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Seeing how long I can last in the upcoming spell without need to draw blinds and curtains. Today indoor temp in full sunshine reached nearly 24 degrees. Bearable, but that was with max 22 degrees. I suspect 25 degrees outside may be the limit.. so tomorrow probably OK..  but will have to give in by Thursday..

Hot house protocol enacted today… close all doors upstairs with all curtains/shutters closed at coldest point this morning… will feel great for overnight over the next five days… plus Wednesday next week will be a shock with max 10c if gfs to be believed 

F776540F-73CB-403F-8472-64BD27CC11AB.png

• Like 5

Posted

Not actually too bad in the house now, as I thought.

In the last hot spell back in July the sun would swing round to my W/NW facing room and heat it for hours from about 4.30-8, Now, it's just not hitting the same (sun lower in the sky as it swings round above the back of the terraced house next to me. Therefore my room isn't heating for as long. Noticeable difference. The brickwork around my window isn't getting as hot either. That loss of altitude of 8 degrees or so has had an impact.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 6

Posted

It's amazing really, people especially from our region are complaining about summer weather, may we remind ourselves about the summers between 2007 and 2012 which we thought would be the trend because of climate change as the theory was if the northern latitudes are warmer, it encourages more blocking therefore the jet stream is further south and going through the UK. The forecasts of the same old low pressure stalling over the UK was quite a common sight with any high pressure being very transient indeed. 

Heat is not ideal I accept but flooding is more damaging and the flooding we saw during 2007 especially we were told could become more frequent because of climate change.

This summer has not been hot and dry here, even during the last heatwave, it still managed to rain!(albeit it was just a brief heavy shower but still) so I'm welcoming this spell of sunny weather with open arms. Should not be too hot either up here so bring it on because its back to reality next week from the look of things. 

Edited by Geordiesnow
  • Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

It's amazing really, people especially from our region are complaining about summer weather, may we remind ourselves about the summers between 2007 and 2012 which we thought would be the trend because of climate change as the theory was if the northern latitudes are warmer, it encourages more blocking therefore the jet stream is further south and going through the UK. The forecasts of the same old low pressure stalling over the UK was quite a common sight with any high pressure being very transient indeed. 

Heat is not ideal I accept but flooding is more damaging and the flooding we saw during 2007 especially we were told could become more frequent because of climate change.

This summer has not been hot and dry here, even during the last heatwave, it still managed to rain!(albeit it was just a brief heavy shower but still) so I'm welcoming this spell of sunny weather with open arms. Should not be too hot either up here so bring it on because its back to reality next week from the look of things. 

Yes we'll all be moaning this time next week when it's back to a nagging wind, grey dank skies.. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
8 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

To be fair that's a big IMBY perspective. There's been a notable difference north and south in the region this summer. It's been wetter in the north toward your way with fairly standard conditions. Down this way it's been hotter and drier than usual, everywhere was yellow/brown here (similar to 1995 and 2018) up until we got some rain after the last hot spell. Plus the Pennine reservoirs are less than half full at this point where this area gets water from. Hosepipe ban on the way if things carry on being dry for sure. In terms of floods that you mention, they only affect a small minority of people who are daft enough to live on a flood plain, most people in this country live high enough above a river to not be flooded out. Lack of rain on the other hand effects everyone (general water supply, farmers, manufacturing etc). If drier than normal weather carries on and becomes more frequent then we will have no option other than to plan for the future if this is climate change in action. I have noticed the Azores high pressure further north than normal over the past 4 years too. This is not just giving us drier hotter weather in summer at times but scuppering cold in the winter too as it ridges into Europe preventing blocking highs to our north.

• Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes we'll all be moaning this time next week when it's back to a nagging wind, grey dank skies.. 

Not everyone will be moaning. After five days of temps into the 30s celcius here and the bedroom having got to a horrendous temperature again, grey skies and a nagging wind will feel great to me.

• Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

Not everyone will be moaning. After five days of temps into the 30s celcius here and the bedroom having got to a horrendous temperature again, grey skies and a nagging wind will feel great to me.

My bedroom was at 31c last month. I’m not expecting it to reach those levels again given nights don’t look to hold up any higher than 18-19c. Plenty of night now to get the window open with the fan next to it in order to get the lower outdoor temperature inside.

• Like 4