Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
21 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Morning.  Man Airport min was 15° at 5.20am. Bedroom stayed at 25° same as night before.  Did anyone catch any Perseid meteors at all?  @Had Worse what a great couple of weeks you've had weather wise, hope you catch up on your sleep tonight and have a safe journey home tomorrow.

Thanks @Rush2112, definitely not the normal August weather down here but as good as going  abroad which we couldn't afford. 

Hoping to sleep better tonight but probably wishful thinking.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Just reached 28.3C here, about a degree or so up on the same time yesterday.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
26 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

Just reached 28.3C here, about a degree or so up on the same time yesterday.

Same here - 33c likely high for Cheshire today pushing 33-34c into the weekend too. It'll be interesting to see long term whether this summer will be like the summer equivalent of Winter 2009/2010 or whether more extreme heat this far north will be a future trend for NW summers - maybe not every year but I certainly think more intense hot spells are likely and with global warming that brings the risk of all sorts of extreme weather events over the course of the year across the NW & the UK wet, dry, winter storms, hot and cold - global warming increases the risk of extreme and unusual weather patterns of all types of weather for example we would no doubt be frigidly cold if we had this kind of blocked setup in Winter with winds coming from the east. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
30 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Same here - 33c likely high for Cheshire today pushing 33-34c into the weekend too. It'll be interesting to see long term whether this summer will be like the summer equivalent of Winter 2009/2010 or whether more extreme heat this far north will be a future trend for NW summers - maybe not every year but I certainly think more intense hot spells are likely and with global warming that brings the risk of all sorts of extreme weather events over the course of the year across the NW & the UK wet, dry, winter storms, hot and cold - global warming increases the risk of extreme and unusual weather patterns of all types of weather for example we would no doubt be frigidly cold if we had this kind of blocked setup in Winter with winds coming from the east. 

Yeah, will be interesting to see, but you are right, global warming can lead to other extremes of weather, not just heat. The metoffice statistics show that the past 30 years have been warmer on average compared to the 30 years before that. However, December 2010 was the coldest December for 100 years, so despite the warming trends, there will always be the possibility of extreme events, both in summer and winter. This is partly due to natural variation around a mean, but whether such extreme events become more frequent as a result of global warming, only time will tell.

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

28.5 c really nice garden bbq with daughter  who’s up from London ,a bit of down time for her as she’s a CEO of the U.K. arm of a multinational ,not a job I’d want lol

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Joe Snow said:

62/63 wasn't too shabby of a winter 12 years old at the time. Remember my late dad shovelling tons of the snow away from the front door so we could get out. That happened more than once that winter. I hear 46/47 was even worse with people in the Oldham area having to climb out of their bedroom windows as the downstairs access was completely buried. This picture was taken in the Diggle area of Oldham in Feb 1947. What do we get nowadays? Hardly anything.

CV91MrIWEAAT_Un.jpg:large

• Like 8

Posted

It's the second day in a row that Buxton has hit 30'c which should constitute a Amber "Extreme Heat" warning according to the Met Office's guidance, but just like the last heatwave the warning area completely overlooks Glossop, Buxton, and surrounding towns in terms of warranting the alert.  I'm somewhat baffled by the omission but at least it's clear skies tomorrow and sunday to see the BBMF Lancaster overflying Woodford for the AVRO Museum air-fair weekend.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

9 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

It's the second day in a row that Buxton has hit 30'c which should constitute a Amber "Extreme Heat" warning according to the Met Office's guidance, but just like the last heatwave the warning area completely overlooks Glossop, Buxton, and surrounding towns in terms of warranting the alert.  I'm somewhat baffled by the omission but at least it's clear skies tomorrow and sunday to see the BBMF Lancaster overflying Woodford for the AVRO Museum air-fair weekend.

You get all the snow warnings the nerve of it😂.

A fabulous summers day shame it going to end on Monday,end of the heat this summer,maybe not.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Ramp said:

Just found a flying ant in my beer 🤨

So not a 'swimming ant' then?😁

• Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ramp said:

No it drowned 😂

Or was comatose

What about the 'Dying Fly'? Or Sally James's amazing 'interviews'? I don't think they'd get away with that these days!:drunk-emoji:

PS: I blame the heat!

• Like 6

Posted

Realising my sensor is about 3 degrees too low.. currently it is 28.8 degrees. Suspect we have peaked. A vert warm day.. many a summer we don't record such temps. Let's see if we can hit 30 degrees tomorrow.. 

Into next week could be some hefty  Thundery downpours.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Fence panels fitted so time for a shower and a sit out with a beer or two.

thinking about it though, I’ve only got two left so a shower followed by a trip to the shop for some more beer and as I’m on my own until Sunday, I need two days worth😂

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
26 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

What about the 'Dying Fly'? Or Sally James's amazing 'interviews'? I don't think they'd get away with that these days!:drunk-emoji:

PS: I blame the heat!

😂😂☀️🍻

7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Fence panels fitted so time for a shower and a sit out with a beer or two.

thinking about it though, I’ve only got two left so a shower followed by a trip to the shop for some more beer and as I’m on my own until Sunday, I need two days worth😂

Get to a beer garden

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ramp said:

😂😂☀️🍻

Get to a beer garden

Or, better still, sod the garden and get the beer!🍻

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
20 minutes ago, Ramp said:

😂😂☀️🍻

Get to a beer garden

I’ve got one just around the corner although it’s more of a beer pavement but it’ll be standing room only.

• Like 6

Posted
52 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Yellow thunderstorm warning now in place for Monday covering our Region. Are we about to see a repeat of 1976 and Denis Howell as Minister of Drought?! 

Remember the breakdown coming about two days after they put standpipes up in the streets here and then it rained pretty much every day in September.

• Like 5

Posted
50 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Realising my sensor is about 3 degrees too low.. currently it is 28.8 degrees. Suspect we have peaked. A vert warm day.. many a summer we don't record such temps. Let's see if we can hit 30 degrees tomorrow.. 

Into next week could be some hefty  Thundery downpours.

Still rising 29.2 degrees. Surprised still climbing so late..

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

I’ve got one just around the corner although it’s more of a beer pavement but it’ll be standing room only.

Old Glossop has three pubs right next door to each other… one does really nice curries, one pub grub and one does “fine dining”… but there are 25 plus pubs/wine bar/cocktail places in glossop itself… can do a good pub crawl here 🍻 🍷 🧀 🥂 🍹 🍸 

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Remember the breakdown coming about two days after they put standpipes up in the streets here and then it rained pretty much every day in September.

Did the same Sept 95 but unlike 1976 it only lasted a month.. another 18 months of dry..whereas Aug 76 marked the end of the drought.

59 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

Yellow thunderstorm warning now in place for Monday covering our Region. Are we about to see a repeat of 1976 and Denis Howell as Minister of Drought?! 

Not warranted in Cumbria.

• Like 7