Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion March 2022 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

32.9C reached here a short while ago. Some small amounts of cumulus clouds have developed to my South.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Stuck at 30.9°C with the Sun in and out. Under the sea breeze convergence zone now. Wonder if anything can develop from it later.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

Just find it bizzare how here in Cheshire we have 31-33 degrees, some instability and yet not any hint of storms for the next few days. What is it about round here! There's not a hint of it in the models I've seen so far. What does it take haha!

Edited by Cloudwatcher
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
7 minutes ago, severe snowstorm said:

32.9C reached here a short while ago. Some small amounts of cumulus clouds have developed to my South.

That is quite an amazing temp for mid August that far north. Wondering if this is going to be a summer normal in the future 30c+  . I remember the time of reaching 26c in Cheshire was a notable event.

C

• Like 5

Posted

Max so far here 29.5 -- hottest in this recent spell.  Small curly tops approaching from SSW in last half hour.

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Cloudwatcher said:

Just find it bizzare how here in Cheshire we have 31-33 degrees, some instability and yet not any hint of storms for the next few days. What is it about round here! There's not a hint of it in the models I've seen so far. What does it take haha!

It has been a terrible year for storms in this part of Cheshire, no thunder heard all year. However, the metoffice have issued a warning for storms tomorrow and Tuesday, so must be seeing some potential, although they do note the hit and miss nature. I'll treat even one rumble of thunder as a success given how bad this year has been!

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, carinthian said:

That is quite an amazing temp for mid August that far north. Wondering if this is going to be a summer normal in the future 30c+  . I remember the time of reaching 26c in Cheshire was a notable event.

C

It has certainly been a regular occurrence this summer here, not just nudging 30C, but getting comfortably into at least the low 30s celcius on several separate days. Time will tell if this is a pattern that becomes more consistent, but chances are it may well do given the warning trend in recent years, coupled with the increased potential for extremes of weather.

Edited by severe snowstorm
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Gone very dark here

Liverpool Airport reporting towering cumulus.

• Like 5

Posted
29 minutes ago, carinthian said:

C

Yes, something I've thought about too. I remember in the late 60s, when I became interested, how a summer spell, would build over a few days, nudging up towards 25. 30 was a very rare sight, and reserved for the South. You never went straight in at those silly temperatures. Now, even the most bog standard 2 day affair pitches straight in at that, and 30 is virtually the minimum requirement for a summery spell.

• Like 6

Posted

Cumulus clouds are developing more here and getting darker bases. Temperature reached 33.4C about 15 minutes ago. 

• Like 3

Posted

Can't see this thunderstorm via the Met app happening at 6 til 7 but looking at the satellite pics there does seem to be a little convergence maybe a little west of here. Let's see what happens.

Screenshot_20220814-173226_Met Office.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

We hit 33.5C here. Absolutely remarkable. The sun has just this minute gone behind a cloud for the first time in what, 4 days? Stunning weather, 30C has been achieved 4 days in a row which is fantastic. 

So nice to just see a pure blue sky with nothing ruining it. Pressure was so high that even airplane contrails were squashed. Hopefully more to come before autumn sets in. 

Oh, PS- my living room is lovely and cool thanks to the AC Unit I bought before the mega July heatwave😂

• Like 2

Posted

Lightning 39 km to my west now. That’s closer than anything so far today

• Like 4

Posted

Currently on 34.1C. Sun has disappeared behind clouds and it actually feels cooler.  A few high flying Swallows and the odd Swift around - normally a good indicator of a convergence zone. Nothing on the radar.

• Like 3

Posted

Just at mums, she's done ok during this recent bout of heat despite her poor health.  Came out for a breather after hoovering, and was met with this wonderful sight.

20220814_175152.jpg

• Like 6

Posted

Maximum was 31.2°C. Falling away now, 30.0°C as we are in the sea breeze zone. Humidity has risen a lot in the last few minutes as expected. Could this moisture kick things off?

• Like 3

Posted

29.1 now dropping fast. You can definitely feel the change, much better.

• Like 4

Posted

Maxed out at 33.7C in the end. Dropping away now, currently 32.7C. Humidity still relatively low here according to my station, 30%.

• Like 2

Posted

27.9°C now humidity 51%.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
54 minutes ago, davehsug said:

Yes, something I've thought about too. I remember in the late 60s, when I became interested, how a summer spell, would build over a few days, nudging up towards 25. 30 was a very rare sight, and reserved for the South. You never went straight in at those silly temperatures. Now, even the most bog standard 2 day affair pitches straight in at that, and 30 is virtually the minimum requirement for a summery spell.

Yep, I kept a temperature record during the 60s as a young kid on the farm ( the so called cold decade ) and it is fairly hard to find temps of 21c + during many of those summers. My memories of long summer days was certainly 1959 and of course the hot one in 1976 with the government rain dancer minister ! I moved away from the region in the 1980s, so not sure how things have panned out but looking at recent events , may be short hot spells are becoming more intense rather than prolonged ? However, SE Britain and the continental Western Europe maybe heading for a record breaker .

C

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
1 hour ago, Cloudwatcher said:

Storms are like snow around here perfect scenario yet naff all. The summer of 2020 was good for recent times for storms locally particularly during June and then the early August hot spell from memory.

32.5c the max here today so hottest day of the heatwave feeling sweaty and sultry as humidity has definitely increased won't be a pleasant night for sleeping if it doesn't cool off a bit 🥵 

• Like 3