Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Spring and Summer weather moans

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

An easterly has got to be my least favourite wind direction. Not a fan of cold northerlies, but at least they can bring interesting skyscapes etc with them. Other than the stormy weekend in Feb, the weather over recent times in general just seems to be becoming more and more benign.

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, SunSean said:

Probably lol but i just cant enjoy milky skies when i know its so much better out in beautiful clear blue skies. Maybe i'm just really fussy lol but a blue sky seems so rare these days.

I have SAD and this is how I feel. I feel like I'm being ott but I really need the clearness and full sun to actually recharge and feel happier!

• Like 1

Can't really complain with that Easter, 4 dry and mainly sunny days with temps off 16-18C down here. A solid 8-8.5 out of 10 IMO especially when you consider what we can end up with at this time of year.

Posted

wow look at that, the perfect charts for cold and snow arrive in April again,seems a regular occurence now,same thing happened last year/

So frustrating after that wtretched winter we had.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Can't really complain with that Easter, 4 dry and mainly sunny days with temps off 16-18C down here. A solid 8-8.5 out of 10 IMO especially when you consider what we can end up with at this time of year.

Was very nice for sure - shame we're now going to pay for it with 2-3 weeks minimum of northern blocking. Not surprised the model thread is so dead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Indeed it was about as good as we could expect for an Easter weekend. Lots of not only dry, but sunny weather too, all very useable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

now i remember why April is my least favourite month here in Alberta..what was forecast to be a 2 day cold spell (over a week ago) has now turned into a 12 day spell..with snow at the weekend and now to add insult to injury we now have a snowfall warning in effect for the next 24hrs with up to 20cm of the stuff forecast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
22 hours ago, Lance M said:

An easterly has got to be my least favourite wind direction. Not a fan of cold northerlies, but at least they can bring interesting skyscapes etc with them. Other than the stormy weekend in Feb, the weather over recent times in general just seems to be becoming more and more benign.

Looking even worse on the latest model runs. Pure nothing-weather for the next fortnight at least.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Looking even worse on the latest model runs. Pure nothing-weather for the next fortnight at least.

At least it's only April.  Have months and months ahead for potential warm/hot weather.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Another dry April. Plenty of lost convective potential and probably lead to another disappointing dreary summer with westerly influence and no storms here again (Guildford). 

No thunder heard this year yet after 2 close shaves and let-downs (6th April and 12th April). 

I have nothing against long dry periods as dry weather means good cycling conditions, but I do prefer sunshine and warmth, like what was enjoyed over Easter and not cloud-fest or wet conditions with rain in frequent small amounts. Lack of thunder in Guildford has become a joke in recent years and we seem to miss everything these days. I go on holiday in mid-May and don't want a thundery set up while away and have rubbish weather in Cornwall while something actually happens in Guildford at long last. Sick to death of missing interesting weather when away on holiday or just away from Guildford and this has happened so many times I could write a book about it. Either Guildford is, or I am 'cursed' with the incessant bad luck of near misses and God just doesn't want me to see nature at its most interesting. 

Last good year for storms was 2014 although I saw one good storm in 2016 (22nd/23rd June) but missed the September event when away on holiday after a generally poor summer for activity again.      

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
6 minutes ago, Severe Blizzard said:

Another dry April. Plenty of lost convective potential and probably lead to another disappointing dreary summer with westerly influence and no storms here again (Guildford). 

No thunder heard this year yet after 2 close shaves and let-downs (6th April and 12th April). 

I have nothing against long dry periods as dry weather means good cycling conditions, but I do prefer sunshine and warmth, like what was enjoyed over Easter and not cloud-fest or wet conditions with rain in frequent small amounts. Lack of thunder in Guildford has become a joke in recent years and we seem to miss everything these days. I go on holiday in mid-May and don't want a thundery set up while away and have rubbish weather in Cornwall while something actually happens in Guildford at long last. Sick to death of missing interesting weather when away on holiday or just away from Guildford and this has happened so many times I could write a book about it. Either Guildford is, or I am 'cursed' with the incessant bad luck of near misses and God just doesn't want me to see nature at its most interesting. 

Last good year for storms was 2014 although I saw one good storm in 2016 (22nd/23rd June) but missed the September event when away on holiday after a generally poor summer for activity again.      

Yes the growing lack of extremes or even just interest is noticeable over the years... I actually miss bog standard April showers, remember them? Or, more often, it's Maypril showers, but even so. Used to get them a lot, now hardly ever!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 hours ago, Severe Blizzard said:

Convective activity does seem to be decreasing in frequency. You used to be able to bank on an ‘April showers’ set up when I was young. You don’t seem to see it these days.

1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Convective activity does seem to be decreasing in frequency. You used to be able to bank on an ‘April showers’ set up when I was young. You don’t seem to see it these days.

I don’t think anyone can deny this. Seems to be more high pressure dominance in spring and in summer especially with the plumes any waves or cold front engaging the plumes lack the sharpness to really get things going despite the actual plumes containing warmer air. 

Got a feeling summer is going to be either a washout (remember there’s not a decent summer ending in a two in over a 100yrs) or less likely just hot and dry, 2018 style with almost no storm activity (remember we keep being told summer like that should be expected every few years now…..)

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

I don’t think anyone can deny this. Seems to be more high pressure dominance in spring and in summer especially with the plumes any waves or cold front engaging the plumes lack the sharpness to really get things going despite the actual plumes containing warmer air. 

Got a feeling summer is going to be either a washout (remember there’s not a decent summer ending in a two in over a 100yrs) or less likely just hot and dry, 2018 style with almost no storm activity (remember we keep being told summer like that should be expected every few years now…..)

I had really good vibes about this summer 2-3 months ago. Now that La Nina is still going to be quite significant through the summer months I've got a bit of a sinking feeling. 2012 keeps getting mentioned as a good match to this year. I'm not saying it's going to be as horrific as 2012 was....but more likely to be that than a 2018-esque warm and dry summer that I was thinking possible earlier in the year.

Posted

No it's gonna be 2007 all over again rain rain rain!  then again it's going to be 1976!  No one has any idea what this summer will be like. So no point in trying to work it out. everyone will be wrong. 

One thing is certain if we continue with the block to the east with high pressure it will stop the atlantic from sending its crap our way.Hopefully we we will tap into warmer air when the continent warms up. 

Just don't know what pressure charts will show in a week never mind in June/July.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

All the pieces of the puzzle pointed to a cold, snowy winter and look how that turned out. Long range forecasting is a bit pants IMO. Wouldn't rule anything out this summer.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Yea why do we not get April showers anymore?! It's weird! I hate our lack of seasons!

• Like 2

Posted

Best day of the year here on the south coast, gentle easterly breeze and feeling very warm in the unbroken, if slightly hazy sun.  Nobody can predict the long range forecast, be it a human or computer, the weather will do as it pleases.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

We have had a few April showers over here, as well as pleasant sunny days which combined have made for perfect growing conditions. So I would estimate that rainfall levels have been around average for my neck of the woods this month.

I do agree though that we seem to be getting more stubborn anticyclones just lately which last for weeks on end, interspersed by very unsettled blips.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
9 hours ago, Alderc said:

I remember when people were saying about the same statistical quirk in the winter/spring of 2018, that there hadn't been a decent summer ending in an 8 in 140 years, then along came the actual summer.  Who knows what summer 2022 will bring, though for some reason I'm slightly favouring a "poor" one. We had a "poor" one in 2021 down here but if we're to have another one in 2022 then I'd imagine it would be a more typical westerly poor summer.

Posted
11 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I think the April showers notion is a bit of a misconception anyway. It’s one of the drier months of the year. People just notice them more as we’ve reached a point in the year where convective showers can fire up after a run of months without seeing it. A bit like everyone remembering summers when they were a kid as hot and sunny all the time when that isn’t really true either.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
9 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

I remember when people were saying about the same statistical quirk in the winter/spring of 2018, that there hadn't been a decent summer ending in an 8 in 140 years, then along came the actual summer.  Who knows what summer 2022 will bring, though for some reason I'm slightly favouring a "poor" one. We had a "poor" one in 2021 down here but if we're to have another one in 2022 then I'd imagine it would be a more typical westerly poor summer.

here in my location we are very much influenced by what is going on in the Pacific with the PDO and Nina...with La Nina still in place we could get a summer similar to last summer or 2012 which were both hot and dry..im going for a similar summer to 2020 and 2011 in my neck of the woods..both had cool wet springs but became warm and dry around mid July..simply because of the state of the Pacific and the winter/spring so far have been similar to those of 2019-20 and 2010-11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Yea why do we not get April showers anymore?! It's weird! I hate our lack of seasons!

Very dry of late here.  Have been gardening today but the heavy digging of the top gardens will need to wait until we get a decent downpour to soften it.  Noticed the pond level going down as well so will need to top it up tomorrow I think.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
13 hours ago, Alderc said:

I remember, up until 2018 there wasn't a good summer ending in an 8 for over 100 years either.  Could it be broken this year too..

Posted
5 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

Years ending in 2 seem to be a inbetween affair. 1982 and 92 were poorish summers, but still contained some spells of hot sunny weather, and both were stormy.

2002 and 12 were very poor though, with long periods of cloudy weather.